NFL Divsion 2 2017

Started by Dinny Breen, January 30, 2017, 09:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Crazy how inconsistent teams are in this division, I can't imagine it is because teams are priming themselves for the championship as none of them apart from Galway have any hope of achieving anything.

An Fhairche Abu

Very disappointing first half performance by Galway in Navan after the first 10 minutes, the better team in the 2nd half but didn't see it out when putting themselves up by 3 with only 10 left. Instead of pushing on we're now dragged back into the pack, will have to win out to ensure a top two place with no further room for error left really.
Same issues of inconsistent level of performance within matches, it's as been like this for years, losing to teams that they should be beating etc. 
It's so hard to get a read on players even within a game, some really good plays coupled with some inexplicable mistakes from one move to the next. There's the guts of something there but results like today are what keeps them in the mediocre category all the time.

Duine Eile

Frustrating to say the least, bad start but came back well, put themselves in a winning position but instead of pushing forward they concede a goal and end up losing by a point. Can't afford to drop points anywhere else now, it'll probably come down to the last game against Kildare again to see who gets the top spots.

galwayman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on March 05, 2017, 04:53:44 PM
Very disappointing first half performance by Galway in Navan after the first 10 minutes, the better team in the 2nd half but didn't see it out when putting themselves up by 3 with only 10 left. Instead of pushing on we're now dragged back into the pack, will have to win out to ensure a top two place with no further room for error left really.
Same issues of inconsistent level of performance within matches, it's as been like this for years, losing to teams that they should be beating etc. 
It's so hard to get a read on players even within a game, some really good plays coupled with some inexplicable mistakes from one move to the next. There's the guts of something there but results like today are what keeps them in the mediocre category all the time.
100% agree.
I was expecting us to lose this game & not because Meath are any great shakes.
It's typical of us when we get a few decent results that we go out then and lose to average teams.
We just don't have the consistency to be a threat at AI level.

galwayman

Our destiny is still in our own hands all the same.
3 games left (2 at home) - if we win them all we top the group.

Duine Eile

Quote from: galwayman on March 05, 2017, 05:10:58 PM

Damien Comer's injury must be worse than first thought, wasn't even on the bench today I don't think, we'll need him firing on all cylinders for the next few games. I'm also wondering about Barry McHugh at this stage, he's lethal from frees but does nothing else from play, I also think it's time to give Mike Farragher a run, we know what Gary Sice and Johnny Heaney can do.

galwayman

Comer won't be back for the next few games from what I hear.
Think it's a 4-6 weeks injury

seafoid

9 points would probably be enough to go up

Duine Eile

Quote from: galwayman on March 05, 2017, 05:20:42 PM
Comer won't be back for the next few games from what I hear.
Think it's a 4-6 weeks injury

Feck anyway, you'd know he wasn't out there today, there's no real target man in there without him. Both Mike Farragher and Ian Burke are well able to win their own ball but we'll have to see if they get their chance in the next few games.

thejuice

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on March 05, 2017, 04:53:44 PM

You could be describing Meath with that comment as well. We mix the sublime with the dreadful in nearly every game. We just came out the right side of things this week. No way of predicting what way we'll play in Cork.

Will take the win of course. Cillian O'Sullivan is the one that seems to make the biggest difference for us. Hopefully his nose will be back to normal for the next game.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Duine Eile on March 05, 2017, 05:17:06 PM

Damien Comer's injury must be worse than first thought, wasn't even on the bench today I don't think, we'll need him firing on all cylinders for the next few games. I'm also wondering about Barry McHugh at this stage, he's lethal from frees but does nothing else from play, I also think it's time to give Mike Farragher a run, we know what Gary Sice and Johnny Heaney can do.

McHugh in fairness hit a lovely point from play in the first half but I can see where you are coming from.
Having seen the Clare and the Meath matches, even with that small sample size, I would say that he is hands down the best placed ball striker I've seen in a Galway jersey for a long time, seriously impressive. He has a really accurate and consistent technique, he's worth a place to see if he can improve a bit more in general play, physically he is far slighter than most of the squad though and I would wonder how he will hold up in a championship match where the physical stakes will be seriously upped.

Lundy was terrible today and only middling against Clare, in comparison Cummins made a huge difference when he was introduced. Daly has serious potential but his decision making on the ball at times is, naturally enough for his experience level, suspect.

Comer is a massive loss if he is out for the rest of the league.

FermGael

Shocking defensive display from.Fermanagh today.
2 goals from quick frees when our players were arguing with the referee, one that the keeper should have dealt with and the other when we got turned over when we were in possession of the ball.
Very very poor .

Clare at home next and it's a must win.  If we don't we are relegated.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Duine Eile

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on March 05, 2017, 05:37:00 PM
Quote from: Duine Eile on March 05, 2017, 05:17:06 PM

McHugh in fairness hit a lovely point from play in the first half but I can see where you are coming from.
Having seen the Clare and the Kildare matches, even with that small sample size, I would say that he is hands down the best placed ball striker I've seen in a Galway jersey for a long time, seriously impressive. He has a really accurate and consistent technique, he's worth a place to see if he can improve a bit more in general play, physically he is far slighter than most of the squad though and I would wonder how he will hold up in a championship match where the physical stakes will be seriously upped.

Lundy was terrible today and only middling against Clare, in comparison Cummins made a huge difference when he was introduced. Daly has serious potential but his decision making on the ball at times is, naturally enough for his experience level, suspect.

Comer is a massive loss if he is out for the rest of the league.

Oh he's a fantastic free taker, no argument there, just don't know if we can afford to carry him on that alone, especially when our wing forwards tend to play fairly deep so don't score too much. Bit harsh on Lundy, thought he has a great game against Clare, granted I didn't see the game today but hopefully he'll have better days. Shane Walsh showed bits of his ability last week but didn't seem to be too prominent today, same with Brannigan. Lots to work on before the next game in
Tuam. Double header with the ladies game I believe.

thejuice

Table now reads:

1. Kildare        6
2. Galway.       5
3. Clare.          5
4. Meath.         4
5. Down.          4
6. Cork            3
7. Derry           3
8. Fermanagh    2

We've got Cork, Fermanagh and Clare to go. While getting all 6 points isn't impossible I can easily see us losing any of them. We'll probably pick up 3 points based on current form and miss the number 2 spot. Perhaps get a draw in Cork, win in Fermanagh and lose to Clare who are showing good form. But it's within our ability to get all 6 if the lads are firing on all cylinders.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

cornetto

Allianz FL Division 2 round 5
Down v Kildare, Pairc Esler,7pm - eir Sport
Sunday 19 March

Allianz FL Division 2 round 5
Cork v Meath, Pairc Ui Rinn, 2pm
Fermanagh v Clare, Brewster Park, 2pm
Galway v Derry, Tuam 2pm

Sunday 26 March

Allianz FL Division 2 round 6
Derry v Cork, Celtic Park, 3pm
Meath v Fermanagh, Pairc Tailteann, 3pm