NFL Divsion 2 2017

Started by Dinny Breen, January 30, 2017, 09:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: seafoid on February 26, 2017, 08:59:48 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 26, 2017, 08:49:37 PM
Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on February 26, 2017, 07:57:45 PM
Why is 'we were robbed' always the reflex? If it was at the other end, we'd be praising the ref for listening to his umpires, or saying we were due a decision.
Here's what we should take from the game instead: we are conceding way, way too much.

I rarely blame the referee but the last decision in the game was made by an umpire over ruling the referee. Not only was it a square ball but O'Neill was adamant it was a foul on the goalie too. So instead of dogging out a 2 point win with an average performance and taking that positive we have the usual negative rethoric around Kildare. I am honestly starting to believe people enjoy Kildare losing so just so they can whinge. Last 3 goal decisions have gone against Kildare, so looking forward to getting 3 dodgy goal decisions in the Leinster final against Dublin as these  things even themselves out.
Is dogging popular in Kildare?

I think you have a decent team and should focus on that and getting promoted rather than going back to niggly stuff that won't help in the summer.

On the Curragh plains.

And I agree and I expect Kildare to park it but no harm in O'Neill calling these things out IMHO. 
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

It was a very frustrating end after it looked like we had dug ourselves back out of a hole. It certainly looked like Donnellan was fouled - I don't think there was a square ball but the Derry player did go through Donnellan after getting to the ball. The referee blew and signalled a free out while the umpire put up the green flag. The ref then went in and consulted with the two umpires and awarded the goal. It was bizarre.

That said a lot of our problems today were of our own making. We had enough opportunities in the lead up to half time to put the game well out of sight. I don't think any of our players with the exception of maybe Ollie Lyons would be particularly happy with the way they played today. We were too slow to bring in Dowling when Moolick was struggling and McCormack and Cribbin's injuries limited the impact we could have had from the bench. Hopefully those two will be back next Sunday although Chris Healy did enough to suggest he could become an option.

Derry played some good football after half time and Kielt kicked some fabulous scores.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Ohtoohtobe

Thing is Dinny, some Kildare fans think marginal decisions only go against us because they only see what they want to see. They remember Benny Coulter but forget Johnny Crowley, Graham Geraghty and Enda Muldoon. And if you play into the 'we were robbed' script you miss the lessons you need to learn. 2011 is a prime example - yes, the Brogan free was an unlucky call to go against us but we allowed it to obscure the fact that we were well outplayed that day.
Now, we run the risk of letting a marginal call obscure the fact that Derry put 1-18 on us in February, which is extremely worrying when you also consider that Meath could have had 2-16 despite getting slaughtered at midfield. We are an exciting team going forward but if we don't start conceding less there will be a horror show in summer - if you're conceding 1-18 against a far below average Derry team in February, what you might concede against Dublin on a summer's day in Croke Park doesn't bear thinking about. 

seafoid

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on February 26, 2017, 10:02:27 PM
Thing is Dinny, some Kildare fans think marginal decisions only go against us because they only see what they want to see. They remember Benny Coulter but forget Johnny Crowley, Graham Geraghty and Enda Muldoon. And if you play into the 'we were robbed' script you miss the lessons you need to learn. 2011 is a prime example - yes, the Brogan free was an unlucky call to go against us but we allowed it to obscure the fact that we were well outplayed that day.
Now, we run the risk of letting a marginal call obscure the fact that Derry put 1-18 on us in February, which is extremely worrying when you also consider that Meath could have had 2-16 despite getting slaughtered at midfield. We are an exciting team going forward but if we don't start conceding less there will be a horror show in summer - if you're conceding 1-18 against a far below average Derry team in February, what you might concede against Dublin on a summer's day in Croke Park doesn't bear thinking about.
On the other hand you are just out of D3 and 3 games into a tough D2 with Cork beaten . I am sure that a month ago Kildare fans would have taken 4 points at this stage

Dinny Breen

I get that but it was still an awful decision. Defensive football doesn't suit us - remember Wexford and Westmeath last year. Why are Kildare supporters referencing Dublin we are top 16 hoping to push into top 12 that is our level. I am happy to see us play attacking football yes the balance is off but the attitude looks better although loose today. A win Wed night is more important I was delighted to see Ben McCormack not risked if it means he is  available for Longford. Good management of a young player. Anyway control the controllables.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 26, 2017, 10:27:55 PM

I get that but it was still an awful decision. Defensive football doesn't suit us - remember Wexford and Westmeath last year. Why are Kildare supporters referencing Dublin we are top 16 hoping to push into top 12 that is our level. I am happy to see us play attacking football yes the balance is off but the attitude looks better although loose today. A win Wed night is more important I was delighted to see Ben McCormack not risked if it means he is  available for Longford. Good management of a young player. Anyway control the controllables.

I'd rather not. That's 140 minutes of our lives we'll never get back.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Ohtoohtobe

Not advocating a return to Wexford and Westmeath, you can defend well without parking the bus, and with the players we have back this year that we didn't have then, would expect us to counter-attack better than we did those days (wouldn't be hard). Can't disagree with anything else you say, except maybe the top 16 pushing for top 12 bit, very arbitrary. I'd see it as Dublin, Mayo, Kerry, Tyrone, Donegal and Monaghan being a top six with a huge pack of teams below that who can all beat each other on a given day.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on February 26, 2017, 11:13:08 PM

Not advocating a return to Wexford and Westmeath, you can defend well without parking the bus, and with the players we have back this year that we didn't have then, would expect us to counter-attack better than we did those days (wouldn't be hard). Can't disagree with anything else you say, except maybe the top 16 pushing for top 12 bit, very arbitrary. I'd see it as Dublin, Mayo, Kerry, Tyrone, Donegal and Monaghan being a top six with a huge pack of teams below that who can all beat each other on a given day.

Arbitrary in championship terms but not in league. Top 4 in Division 2 represents further progress.
#newbridgeornowhere

Duine Eile

Quote from: galwayman on February 26, 2017, 04:55:25 PM
Very true. Where are the personnel going to come from for those defensive changes is the question?
I think we're decent enough from the half back line up in terms of squad personnel.
In terms of goalkeeper and fullback line - we're not strong to be brutally honest.
A good win today though.
Meath next week is a huge game now.
Meath are no world beaters but it's the type of game we have become used to losing after a few wins.
Never easy to win in Navan

Good win today but agree, the full back line and goalie were a serious weak link. Lavelle made about 3 point blank saves but he also caused the 3 of them with daft kick outs, arsing about in front of goal and trying to carry the ball out of his own defence, mad stuff. When Clare ran at them at pace we were in trouble, Bradshaw was excellent going forward but that left a massive hole in our half back line that bigger teams will exploit. I'd like to see Johnny Duane given a shot at no. 6, push Bradshaw out on the wing and Liam Silke and Cathal Sweeney in the corners. Sweeney came on in the forward line again today which is a bit puzzling when he was one of our best players 2 years ago and was seriously missed last year.

Mrs mills

So today I had my first visit to Celtic Park since returning from the monastery in Patagonia. I can thoroughly recommend it for cleansing the soul, getting a different perspective on life and colonic irrigation.
As I arrived in the area I was met with a huge redevelopment site and I thought 'At long last the county board has sold that carbuncle of a ground for zillions and we can look forward to a proper stadium at Owenbeg, complete with multi-storey carpark and retail outlets similar to Tesco Glenullin Park'. But alas, i was wrong and soon I was inside the white elephant, looking forward to be entertained by the football and the wee announcer with the free state accent who gets things wrong for a living. Anyway, I digress.
My nephew, Christiano, had been telling me about Derry's new way of playing, where they allowed the other teams to come right up the pitch until they get into shooting range and then kick it over the bar. Sure enough the wee lad was right and they did it perfectly in the first half. Then, in the second half, Kildare did the same. They must have liked the Derry approach and they copied it beautifully. I have to say that Derry tried out an old way of playing in the second half and it worked too. Now the pitch was as soft as a mouse's underbelly so that made them very tired and it was hard for them to all run 100m up and down and up and down about 40 times without making the odd mistake. But they got through in the end thanks be to God.
Talk soon
By the way, check out this.

http://www.adventure-life.com/patagonia

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Duine Eile on February 27, 2017, 12:23:08 AM
Quote from: galwayman on February 26, 2017, 04:55:25 PM
Very true. Where are the personnel going to come from for those defensive changes is the question?
I think we're decent enough from the half back line up in terms of squad personnel.
In terms of goalkeeper and fullback line - we're not strong to be brutally honest.
A good win today though.
Meath next week is a huge game now.
Meath are no world beaters but it's the type of game we have become used to losing after a few wins.
Never easy to win in Navan

Good win today but agree, the full back line and goalie were a serious weak link. Lavelle made about 3 point blank saves but he also caused the 3 of them with daft kick outs, arsing about in front of goal and trying to carry the ball out of his own defence, mad stuff. When Clare ran at them at pace we were in trouble, Bradshaw was excellent going forward but that left a massive hole in our half back line that bigger teams will exploit. I'd like to see Johnny Duane given a shot at no. 6, push Bradshaw out on the wing and Liam Silke and Cathal Sweeney in the corners. Sweeney came on in the forward line again today which is a bit puzzling when he was one of our best players 2 years ago and was seriously missed last year.

I'd like to see a full back line of Silke, Kyne & Sweeney; A bit worrying that Sweeney doesn't appear to be getting his chance in the corner or perhaps he's working his way back to fitness. Sweeney was our best back in 2015 by a mile.

cornetto

Galway have been cut further as Division Two favourites and are now 13/10 from 2/1 off the back of their "incredible" 3-13 to 1-11 win over Clare at Pearse Stadium. Clare are now 25/1 outsiders in the division, a drift from 16/1.

Derry recorded a one point win over Kildare at Celtic Park thanks to a late goal by Emmett McGuckin and have collapsed to 14/1 from 25/1 as a result. The defeat for the Lilywhites has seen them pushed out to 3/1 from 2/1.

omagh_gael

Colm Parkinson has video footage of the Derry goal on his twitter feed. Never a spare ball (as player would have been well outside square when ball kicked) and tackle on keeper looks perfectly legit. As far as I am aware there is no rule against tackling a keeper inside the small square.

Jinxy

Not a thing wrong with that goal.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jinxy on February 27, 2017, 12:47:01 PM
Not a thing wrong with that goal.

Who asked you? Nose out, this is a ecumenical matter.
#newbridgeornowhere