Tyrone v Roscommon - Sunday 5th Feb 2017 2pm in Omagh

Started by Fuzzman, January 27, 2017, 12:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In hiding

Quote from: omagh_gael on February 05, 2017, 09:00:05 PM
Pretty dull game overall, never really got going at all. Good to get two points on the board but that defensuve display, especially through the middle, will lead to catastrophe against the Dubs. Perhaps the kick up the arse and the game being in Croker will focus the mind.

Highlights for me:

Niall Sludden really developing into one of our most important player. Never appears to waste a ball and good for landing the points too.

Nobody mentioned this yet but I thought Mickey O'Neill was excellent, especially in 1st half. Made some very brave saves at the feet of Ros attackers and kickouts were on the money throughout.

Haven't been able to get to any live games before today but you tend to forget the amount of yards big Colly Cavanagh covers. He's a machine.  He also caught an outrageous Mark over his shoulder whilst falling backwards under the stand in 2nd half.

Mark Bradley was excellent when he came on, first two possessions resulted in two spectacular points. Has to start against the Dubs. Will be fascinating to see how he gets on.

Honorable mentions to Petey Harte and McClure, both were impressive.

For Roscommon I have to mention Donie Smith. Worked hard all game and scored some excellent points.  Great wee player.

Negatives

Don't like to pick on individual players but RoN and McCurry flatter to deceive. McCurry can be spectacular but there are too many days like today when 75% of his speculative efforts go wide.  He must have had 5 wides alone himself. RoN, played a very withdrawn role and didn't get into the game at all. Still guilty of missing frees that have to go over at this level. Those sort of gimmes will kill us later in the year.

As mentioned above, need to plug the gaps in the middle. Roscommon should have punished us more than they did.

Still playing with one man in FF line and at times no one inside the 45. For feck sake, have we learned nothing from last year! At times the break was on but the player in possession had to literally stop in his tracks and there was nobody in front of him!
[/b]

Would you wise up. Do you want Bomber, Santa and the lads calling around to sort you out.

REMEMBER...  Mickey knows best!!

Redhand Santa

Thought it was an all right game for first outing of the year. Plenty of good of scores and competitive throughout. We certainly weren't at our best and we're far too easily opened up but you can't complain too much when you win your first division one game of the year by 6 points.

I thought we were less negative than last year particularly in the first half. That left our defenders a lot more exposed which they struggled with and led to a slightly more defensive set up in the second half, though for the majority of the game there was two left up in the full forward line. 18 points was a pretty good return on a heVy enough pitch in the first game of the year.

Big step up next week and really hope Mattie is fit. Would be very hopeful we'll at a minimum put  it up to the dubs and think a win is very possible.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: In hiding on February 05, 2017, 09:14:46 PM
Pretty dull game overall, never really got going at all. Good to get two points on the board but that defensuve display, especially through the middle, will lead to catastrophe against the Dubs. Perhaps the kick up the arse and the game being in Croker will focus the mind.

Highlights for me:

Niall Sludden really developing into one of our most important player. Never appears to waste a ball and good for landing the points too.

Nobody mentioned this yet but I thought Mickey O'Neill was excellent, especially in 1st half. Made some very brave saves at the feet of Ros attackers and kickouts were on the money throughout.

Haven't been able to get to any live games before today but you tend to forget the amount of yards big Colly Cavanagh covers. He's a machine.  He also caught an outrageous Mark over his shoulder whilst falling backwards under the stand in 2nd half.

Mark Bradley was excellent when he came on, first two possessions resulted in two spectacular points. Has to start against the Dubs. Will be fascinating to see how he gets on.

For Roscommon I have to mention Donie Smith. Worked hard all game and scored some excellent points.  Great wee player.

Negatives

Don't like to pick on individual players but RoN and McCurry flatter to deceive. McCurry can be spectacular but there are too many days like today when 75% of his speculative efforts go wide.  He must have had 5 wides alone himself. RoN, played a very withdrawn role and didn't get into the game at all. Still guilty of missing frees that have to go over at this level. Those sort of gimmes will kill us later in the year.

As mentioned above, need to plug the gaps in the middle. Roscommon should have punished us more than they did.

Still playing with one man in FF line and at times no one inside the 45. For feck sake, have we learned nothing from last year! At times the break was on but the player in possession had to literally stop in his tracks and there was nobody in front of him!
[/b]

Would you wise up. Do you want Bomber, Santa and the lads calling around to sort you out.

I'd have more faith in the man who has won 3 all Ireland seniors, 2 all Ireland u21s, an all Ireland minor, 5 Ulster senior championships, multiple underage Ulster titles, Tyrone club championships, an Ulster club title, a national league title than a few boys who like to yap about everything on the internet.

In hiding

Quote from: Redhand Santa on February 05, 2017, 09:25:22 PM
Quote from: In hiding on February 05, 2017, 09:14:46 PM

Highlights for me:

Negatives

[/b]

I'd have more faith in the man who has won 3 all Ireland seniors, 2 all Ireland u21s, an all Ireland minor, 5 Ulster senior championships, multiple underage Ulster titles, Tyrone club championships, an Ulster club title, a national league title than a few boys who like to yap about everything on the internet.

;D right on cue

LeoMc

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 05, 2017, 08:54:36 PM
Quote from: tyroneman on February 05, 2017, 06:26:39 PM
Lot of Roscommon scores came from really poor Tyrone play. As gas already been pointed out more clinical team could have had 3-4 goals against us. The mcCarron (I think) pass across the back line that went straight to the Ros forward springs to mind.

Was it not Mc Namee who was the culprit there?
2 different incidents, one in each half.

LeoMc

Highlights for me:

Negatives

A few timees, i thinki can remember 3, even when we had men in there they were not showing and the man with the ball had to turn back. Mc Curry always seemed to want the ball played goal side of him and McShane never seemed to know when to show.
Bradley is a better target despite his size as he keeps making runs. His2points were good examples though we left a lot more space in front of him.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Redhand Santa on February 05, 2017, 09:16:38 PM
Thought it was an all right game for first outing of the year. Plenty of good of scores and competitive throughout. We certainly weren't at our best and we're far too easily opened up but you can't complain too much when you win your first division one game of the year by 6 points.

I thought we were less negative than last year particularly in the first half. That left our defenders a lot more exposed which they struggled with and led to a slightly more defensive set up in the second half, though for the majority of the game there was two left up in the full forward line. 18 points was a pretty good return on a heVy enough pitch in the first game of the year.

Big step up next week and really hope Mattie is fit. Would be very hopeful we'll at a minimum put  it up to the dubs and think a win is very possible.

Yet, outside of the goal in 2nd minute, we only conceded 2 points in the first half when we slightly more offensive. We conceded 7 in second half.

I'm not a Mickey basher, BTW.  I think he's the man to lead us at the minute. However, when it comes to the crunch time of the year we don't have the players to make the one man up front work.

Bomber, McShane didn't spend enough time as a traditional FF to make any real analysis of his performance in there.  However, I'd still like to see him line out there again, as long as we mix it up and drop the odd long ball on top off him with Bradley on his shoulder.

Redhand Santa

Wee conceded more in second half but weren't as open though away a few stupid points. In first half we conceded a goal and easily could have conceded two more.

Great to have a crack at the dubs in croke park next, I'd like to think we'll be a bit tighter at the back. Mcclure did enough to get another go at it, just needs to improve the shooting.

southtyronegael

lenny

Highlights for me:

Negatives

This was a huge problem for tyrone last year, too often playing with all players back in their own half. They just about got out of jail v donegal (undeservedly in my opinion) with 3 miracle points in injury time. This papered over cracks in the gameplan and probably got harte another season. The miracle points didn't happen v mayo unfortunately in spite of players having chances. Looks like the same defensive game plan is going to be used this year.

tyroneman

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 05, 2017, 08:54:36 PM
Quote from: tyroneman on February 05, 2017, 06:26:39 PM
Lot of Roscommon scores came from really poor Tyrone play. As gas already been pointed out more clinical team could have had 3-4 goals against us. The mcCarron (I think) pass across the back line that went straight to the Ros forward springs to mind.

Was it not Mc Namee who was the culprit there?

Couldn't see that clear from where I was sitting. Either way it was a stupid pass from an experienced player

giveballaghback

Quote from: southtyronegael on February 05, 2017, 10:21:01 PM
anyone know what todays attendance was?

At least 1.5 million people, dont heed the press its just alternative facts.

delgany

Mc namee with the missus hit free kick to Roscommon forward .

6500 at game

southtyronegael

giveballaghback

We were well beaten by a stronger and better organised Tyrone today, Tyrone were never in danger of losing the game and were always in control.
Really enjoyed the trip to Omagh and the Tyrone supporters were very friendly and really knew their football. Bar the result I enjoyed the game. Lessons for both teams there if the can learn them.