SKY is announcing that Discovery channels are ending

Started by Take Your Points, January 26, 2017, 02:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoChara

Some of the garbage on the Discovery channels recently is awful, the likes of Ancient Aliens a show about how Aliens could have built everything but probably didn't

AZOffaly

Quote from: Take Your Points on January 26, 2017, 11:55:33 PM
Quote from: Boycey on January 26, 2017, 10:37:06 PM
No idea who's right or wrong but I'd say Discovery needs Sky more than Sky needs Discovery? Where else will they get as big a platform for their channels. Not sure I agree with OPs opinion that these channels have bigger audiences than the major sports events.

I'd miss Eurosport's the most, hopefully they'll still come to some agreement.

In 2014/15, Sky Sports recorded an average audience of 1.3 million for its 116 live matches and BT Sport averaged 770k viewers for its 38 live matches.
http://fanresearch.premierleague.com/football-nation/beyond-the-stadium.aspx

In 2016-17, Sky Sports viewing figures are down by 19% and each games costs £11m.  BT viewing figures for some Champions League games were down by 40%.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/10/25/modern-technology-is-in-danger-of-leaving-the-premier-league-beh/

5.5 million viewers watch a Discovery channel programme each week.

I can't imagine that Discovery channels cost as much as the Premier League on Sky.

Hang on, you're comparing the total viewership of Discovery Channels over an entire week with a single game? That's your measure?

As regards the TV money in soccer, I agree it is mental, and unsustainable.

J70

Quote from: MoChara on January 27, 2017, 10:55:49 AM
Some of the garbage on the Discovery channels recently is awful, the likes of Ancient Aliens a show about how Aliens could have built everything but probably didn't

They did a big Sunday evening presentation on Mermaids here in the US a couple of years ago.

Don't know if that was the nadir, because I haven't switched it on since!

Their Animal Planet channel's big weekly event has been Finding Bigfoot.

I guess that's what a scientifically illiterate populace likes to watch.

Thank f**k for BBC Wildlife and PBS!

AZOffaly

J70

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 27, 2017, 12:03:01 PM
Jeez J70. Smug much?? :)

:D

Just lamenting the race to the bottom in the pursuit of ratings on US tv. Is nothing sacred?

doodaa

I am surprised that Netflix haven't went after shows like Gold Rush/ Swamp Loggers/ Ax Men etc or even produced their own versions. Perhaps it will come in time.

Take Your Points

Quote from: J70 on January 27, 2017, 11:48:06 AM

PBS was one of the first casualties of Trump's executive orders when he decided it should be privatised.

J70

Quote from: Take Your Points on January 27, 2017, 05:50:24 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 27, 2017, 11:48:06 AM

PBS was one of the first casualties of Trump's executive orders when he decided it should be privatised.

Its not definite yet, but PBS and NPR will survive. They raise most of their money through donations anyway.

AZOffaly

I used to love NPR when I lived in the state.

'And now for the rest of the story'

J70

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 27, 2017, 06:29:07 PM
I used to love NPR when I lived in the state.

'And now for the rest of the story'

Was that not Paul Harvey?

AZOffaly

J70

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 27, 2017, 07:54:16 PM
It was. But he was on npr I believe.

Ok.

NYC he was always on before Rush Limbaugh or whoever on one of the talk radio stations.

omaghjoe

Im with you on this J70, Discovery Channel is pure shite

WTF is this about Trump pulling finding for PBS???

Also on a somewhat related point, mind all the stuff about Mitt Romney killing Big Bird? Ironically enough Obama sold him off for the highest bidder

Syferus

Discovery has been shite for as long as I've seen it on TV. Only decent stuff on it was the really old docs they used to shovel onto Discovery History.

Discovery chased the human interest reality stuff and became nothing more than MTV with a tinge of science.

If I want to watch reality TV I'll go full hog and watch Big Brother. I don't have a desire for Discovery/History's halfway house approach.

laoislad

The Extreme Engineering, Mega Factories and How it's made programs on Discovery are great. I hate all those Pawn Shop and Gold Rush ones.  Ice Truckers is decent also.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.