USFC Round 1: Derry vs. Antrim

Started by whiskeysteve, May 06, 2007, 09:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louper

Quote from: Springfield on May 31, 2007, 10:14:32 AM
As far as attitude and desire goes, you dont know PB very much if you think he hasnt either of these. I would go as far as toi say Iv never seen a more focused person who trains hard, works lots on his own and always aims to prove critics wrong

maybe a bit harsh alrite, but iwasnt singling out PB i mean in general the real desire to do good for ure county seems to be lacking a bit.

as for PB doing work on his own it seems very evident that this is true. the transformation from him bein "all left" was unbelievable, and this didnt come about from swingin the right boot at the ball a few times! it musta took some work so fair play. and if wot u say about PB not wantin to upset the team etc is genuine then fair play to him for puttin the team first. we have an actual chance of winnin ulster this year so im lookin fwd to the season ahead!

Maximus Marillius

Have to say the word that I hear from his fellow county players from Bellaghy, is that they say Bradley works real hard at his game and that he is not found wanting in that respect

The Real SlimShady

Quote from: Springfield on May 31, 2007, 10:14:32 AM
PB told Paddy Crozier he wanted to get away from it all for a few weeks, let the team prepare for the Antrim match without the shadow of his suspension, the hype of his unavailibility and then the rumours of his appeal to the DRA affect the squads preparation. I think it was a good enough call.
As far as Im aware he wasnt at all convinced that the DRA would find in favour of him, not because of the case, but because he and G O Kane were so confident that the Ulster appeal would work , they were dumfounded when it didnt.

As far as attitude and desire goes, you dont know PB very much if you think he hasnt either of these. I would go as far as toi say Iv never seen a more focused person who trains hard, works lots on his own and always aims to prove critics wrong

what a martyr  :D

Maximus Marillius

Lynchboy, I have always enjoyed your comments and usually I find them not to far off the mark. Argued a few strong points with you...nothing wrong with that. Unfortunately I have to say that I find your assessment to be so inaccurate of this current squad in comparsion to the 93 squad...I am actually shocked...seriously!!!!...that someone who seems to have a reasonable grasp fo football has made the assessment that you have just made scares me into thinking....have you got a f**king clue at all ??? ???

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on May 31, 2007, 10:32:40 AM
Lynchboy, I have always enjoyed your comments and usually I find them not to far off the mark. Argued a few strong points with you...nothing wrong with that. Unfortunately I have to say that I find your assessment to be so inaccurate of this current squad in comparsion to the 93 squad...I am actually shocked...seriously!!!!...that someone who seems to have a reasonable grasp fo football has made the assessment that you have just made scares me into thinking....have you got a f**king clue at all ??? ???

Obv not if you think I havent ! :)

johnjoe

Max, youre a bit hard on Lynchbhoy there.

Come on now, the Derry team of 93 was a real credit, and all that, but they werent all superstars. Without getting personal, I can think of four or five average enough players on the 93 team, and I`m sure you can as well. (At least they have all-ireland medals).

I can think of quite a few of them who would really really struggle in todays game.

No full back, would JMG be RHB on todays team, given that it was his fitness got him in, and they are all fit nowadays. FMC at 7, not so sure. How would Big Mc Gilligan fare in todays game, or big Heaney, etc etc.

A key point i think is the quality of your subs bench this year - much better than 93.

Keepers I`m not sure about, but the other 20 would be as follows.

93  Scullion, Mc Keever, Downey, Tohill, Mc Gilligan, Barton, Gormley, Brolly, Cassidy, S Downey.
07  Mc Guckian, Mc Cloy, Lockhart, Liam Hinphy, Doherty, Lynch, PB, Muldoon, Devlin, and dark horse C Mc Keever.

Thats ten from each team, say 11 each if you include both keepers. A skinner doing everything right also in there.

Just for the sake of it, heres my actual team.

GK(?)
McKeever, Mc Cloy, Scullion,
Downey, Lockhart, Hinphy/McKeever
   Tohill   Mc Gilligan

Doherty, Barton Lynch
Gormley, Muldoon, P Bradley.

Sorry Max, but thats 7 out of 14 places for current squad. Lynchbhoy`s not that far away!

Just an opinion of course!

The Real SlimShady

is there a match on this Sunday? or are we just going to be living on past glorys?  :D

can the 'weak wee lads' from Antrim give the in-breds a game?! surely not...

Rav67

Joint team 93 and present:

McCusker
McKeever Scullion McGuckin
McGurk Downey Coleman
Tohill McGilligan
Gilligan Barton Muldoon
Brolly Bradley Gormley

Maximus Marillius

for anybody to take Downey out of CHB in preference of Lockhart, well its just not worth discussion. anyone who has Gilligan on ahead of any of the Derry 93 forwards...let me put it this way...simply does not know if a ball is stuffed or pumped

Uladh

How Gilligan is on any Derry team is beyond me

tbrick18

Quote from: Uladh on May 31, 2007, 12:03:15 PM

How Gilligan is on any Derry team is beyond me

I used to have this opinion but having seen him in the league a few times this year, he seems a different player than his last stint with the county. I just hope he continues to show up when it comes to the bigger games.

lynchbhoy

Derry hf line in 93 were VERY poor as forwards.
Heaney played as a third mf, Barton as an auxillary chb dropping behind mf to cover for Downey (who incidentally was a poor man marker as a chb). Cassidy was the only forward in that line and maybe it was because he had no support - struggled all championship long.
But the only alternative we had was McNicholl who went on as a sub and was taken off in the same game - which tells its own story.

People often look back on past meories and they become better with age. Same happening here. I thought the hf line and FB position were poor then, and still do.

Sundays game has brightened a bit with the option of Paddy B in the forwards.
As long as we get all the frees we are due with antrim obv fouling our lads a lot, then Paddy will slot them all over.
It mightn't be the close 10 point vistory now that we thought it might be, we could win by even more!  ;)

AidyMac

Lads,
On the topic of 93, this question was asked of me last week - Can you name the subs named on the teamsheet for the Final?

Could only think of 3, McNicholl, Diamon, Tohill

Does anyone have the listing

lynchbhoy

Raffery,Mulvenna, Ferris,Burns,McNicholl,Quinn

johnjoe

Max, your most recent post re Downey v Lockhart is a cheap shot. they are two different types, one stays and man marks, the other went forward like a greyhound out of the traps, that needed Barton sweeping up for him if the move broke down.

I have gone for a team with the best players, and one or two may not be in their all time favourite position, but still worthy of a position they could still play. Are you saying Downey couldnt play an attacking half back role?

Downey outdoubted class, no argument. But you cant come on and say others havent a clue, UNLESS YOU STICK YOUR OWN NECK OUT, and pick YOUR team comprising of the past and present.

Now, we`ll start with Quinn, and then theres Cassidy!!

Come on now, lets have it please. Impress us all with your team selection.