Athletes you wish you had saw in competition but didnt.

Started by stew, November 28, 2016, 04:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Ring would have been like Shefflin.
Mackey could bring the whole county with him.
I never felt the cats had that passion when they were winning. Just from observing them in pubs. They had a machine. But Mackey would have had emotion . Mayo need someone like him.

stew

Quote from: muppet on November 29, 2016, 01:49:30 PM
I'd loved to have seen Peter Canavan. Especially when I was supposed to be marking him.

Your best bet would have been to bust him when the ball was threw up!

After that you and everyone else would have been fecked!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

bennydorano

Cycling is a bit shit as a spectator sport to be at imo - unless you're on the lash at Dutch corner or something - but I would've loved to have watched Sean Kelly in his pomp.

Sugar Ray Leonard as well.

seafoid

Quote from: bennydorano on November 29, 2016, 03:16:55 PM
Cycling is a bit shit as a spectator sport to be at imo - unless you're on the lash at Dutch corner or something - but I would've loved to have watched Sean Kelly in his pomp.

Sugar Ray Leonard as well.
Kelly winning in Flanders. They loved him.

BennyCake

Quote from: muppet on November 29, 2016, 01:49:30 PM
I'd loved to have seen Peter Canavan. Especially when I was supposed to be marking him.

You weren't the only opponent that couldnt see a Tyrone player. Colm Cooper couldn't see them either.

Main Street

More likely that Colm couldn't see probably because he had two swollen black eyes after being assaulted in a tyrone swarm.

grounded

Quote from: stew on November 29, 2016, 11:26:36 AM
Quote from: grounded on November 28, 2016, 06:27:55 PM
Down legend Sean O'Neil
The brilliant Matt Connor
Ed Moses
Maradona at the height of his powers.

Brilliant call on Ed Moses, one of the best of all time.

Yeah he was just just a dominant figure for so long, practically unbeatable. True class both on and off the track.

I suppose if it was an actual sporting moment it would have to be Bob Beamon's Olympic Record long jump. Simply breathtaking.

seafoid

ziggy90

Quote from: grounded on November 29, 2016, 07:24:45 PM
Down legend Sean O'Neil
Ed Moses

Yeah he was just just a dominant figure for so long, practically unbeatable. True class both on and off the track.

I suppose if it was an actual sporting moment it would have to be Bob Beamon's Olympic Record long jump. Simply breathtaking.

I can remember that Beamon jump like yesterday, he just seemed to stay airborne forever.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

grounded

Quote from: ziggy90 on November 29, 2016, 09:07:08 PM
Quote from: grounded on November 29, 2016, 07:24:45 PM
Down legend Sean O'Neil
Ed Moses

I can remember that Beamon jump like yesterday, he just seemed to stay airborne forever.
[/quot

Right, it was just phenomenal..One of those moments were just everything went perfect. Looking at it back on video it looks almost video edited as if he was somehow suspended in mid air!  His reaction on seeing the distance is also brilliant.

I think his record lasted until 91, when Mike Powell and Carl Lewis had that famous duel in the 1991 world championships. Powell s record still stands to this day I think! I

Oraisteach

Jim Brown
Jesse Owens - pride of Cleveland East Tech
George Best
Paddy Doherty
Tony Reddin
Eric Penick - Notre Dame tailback who won the Ohio high school track team title on his own
2002 Armagh team - never saw them live

stew

Quote from: Oraisteach on November 29, 2016, 11:31:52 PM
Jim Brown
Jesse Owens - pride of Cleveland East Tech
George Best
Paddy Doherty
Tony Reddin
Eric Penick - Notre Dame tailback who won the Ohio high school track team title on his own
2002 Armagh team - never saw them live

That last one blows my mind Orais!

You would have been proud.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Oraisteach

Stew, I've never felt more joy and pride and at the same time sadness that I couldn't be home to witness it and join in the celebrations.