Athletes you wish you had saw in competition but didnt.

Started by stew, November 28, 2016, 04:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

That was never a square ball!!

Hardy

I've seen Geraghty, Giles, Stafford.

I'm happy enough.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ziggy90

Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

stew

Quote from: grounded on November 28, 2016, 06:27:55 PM
Down legend Sean O'Neil
The brilliant Matt Connor
Ed Moses
Maradona at the height of his powers.

Brilliant call on Ed Moses, one of the best of all time.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

mouview

Quote from: seafoid on November 28, 2016, 05:13:08 PM
Christy Ring, Mick Mackey
The 1960 Down team in that final
Cruyff
The 91 Red Star Belgrade team

Good call on the Red Star team Seaf; the final apart, they were brilliant in their run to the '91 European Cup final that year.

Would have loved to see Sean Purcell in action to see if he was as good as the older people maintained.

All GAA fans should see Joe Canning play live at least once in their lives; seldom fails to produce something at least once a game that no-one else is capable of doing.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Main Street

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on November 29, 2016, 11:44:30 AM
Cruyff

Good call on the Red Star team Seaf; the final apart, they were brilliant in their run to the '91 European Cup final that year.

Would have loved to see Sean Purcell in action to see if he was as good as the older people maintained.

All GAA fans should see Joe Canning play live at least once in their lives; seldom fails to produce something at least once a game that no-one else is capable of doing.

I often saw Joe Cooney playing for Sars long after the newspaper circus had moved on and he was on a level far above the other players. Especially the Turlough lads.

quit yo jibbajabba

Tiger Woods

Especially thon time the wife went at him with the 4 iron

Canalman

Main Street

I've seen Best, Micko and Sean O'Neill but I'd trade all that for Matty Forde in his pomp.

seafoid

If I could go back to being a teenager I would go to see Nudie playing for Monaghan. And Dermot Earley playing for Roscommon.

johnneycool

Quote from: seafoid on November 29, 2016, 12:21:13 PM
Quote from: mouview on November 29, 2016, 11:44:30 AM
Cruyff

I often saw Joe Cooney playing for Sars long after the newspaper circus had moved on and he was on a level far above the other players. Especially the Turlough lads.

Saw Joe Cooney in the flesh the day he came on for Sarsfields against Dunloy. Sarsfields were in a bit of bother until he hobbled on (a few Sars fans around us said he'd surgery to repair a hernia a week or two earlier), pointed a sideline ball from midfield with his first touch and then dominated proceeding from centre back and just about got Sarsfields over the line.
I haven't seen the like of it since and whilst I was disappointed Dunloy got beat it was good to see such an artist at work.

Also got to see John Fenton and Nicky English play in a Munster final in a packed Thurles, two hero's of mine back in the day.

Ring is revered and no doubt would have been a fine hurler, but with no TV and only radio back in the day (unless you managed to get to a game) a lot could be down to the likes of Michael ÓHeír on the radio, but would still be interesting to watch live all the same.

As for other sports it would have been unreal to watch the likes of Roberto Duran and Sugar Ray Leonard go at it, loved Duran, hard as coffin nails.

muppet

I'd loved to have seen Peter Canavan. Especially when I was supposed to be marking him.
MWWSI 2017