Proposed Papal Visit to Ireland.Will it

Started by T Fearon, November 23, 2016, 08:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashman

Quote from: balladmaker on November 24, 2016, 12:35:47 PM
I know a lad in the midlands who is banking on the visit, he's at the ready with the Papal scarfs, headbands and flags all branded as 2018!  Same fella took an awful roasting on Garth a couple of years back, has a shed load of stetsons at the ready as well.

Ha ha .  Bit like the Kerry 5 in a row t shirts !!!

Esmarelda

I'd say all the women that have had abortions will be flocking out to thank him for allowing priests to forgive them for their sins. Must be a weight of their shoulders.

I don't mind if he come any more than any other celebrity. Once he brings his own security at his own cost.

T Fearon

Tiocfaidh ar Fra!

Alas I can't get excited on a 1979 level as I am a regular visitor to Rome and have  this Pope and his last two predecessors recite the Angelus on numerous Sundays in St Peter's Square. Still it is great to see and amazingly there has been no adverse reaction up North,Arlene confirms she will meet him though the so called evangelical loony fringe will hardly let the visit pass without protest.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Esmarelda on November 24, 2016, 01:33:54 PM
I'd say all the women that have had abortions will be flocking out to thank him for allowing priests to forgive them for their sins. Must be a weight of their shoulders.

I don't mind if he come any more than any other celebrity head of state. Once he brings his own security at his own cost.

Do you wish to discriminate against one particular head of state?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 24, 2016, 11:11:09 AM
It would be great if he came.  He is a breath of  fresh air after the last 2 popes.  A real man of the people and I know of many people who would be very excited to see him here.

Agree with this. There'll always be knockers however.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

We are still (barely) predominantly (oxymoron) a Roman Catholic Country. He should be welcomed and naturally will be. It won't change anything, but it just might surprise us how much we are still attached to the beliefs of our Fathers!

BennyCake

I wonder how many men in Down jerseys will be there this time, praying for a miracle after the year they've had.

weareros

I know a lad in the midlands who is banking on the visit, he's at the ready with the Papal scarfs, headbands and flags all branded as 2018!  Same fella took an awful roasting on Garth a couple of years back, has a shed load of stetsons at the ready as well.

I remember the papal chairs back in 1979. All the hardware store were selling them and must have made a killing. We set off walking from Ballaghaderreen on our way to Knock in the early hours of the morning, carrying these chairs, like something out of the living dead. The were made out of shite however. I saw one go up in bits the minute some poor woman plonked her arse down; the sound of cracking sticks echoed around the fields to great laughter. We spent the day standing in those wet fields and hardly even saw the Pope, he was just a blip on the horizon. But those days are not coming back; we were a country of eejits back then.

Jim Bob

Lar Naparka

Quote from: weareros on November 28, 2016, 10:41:15 PM

I remember the papal chairs back in 1979. All the hardware store were selling them and must have made a killing. We set off walking from Ballaghaderreen on our way to Knock in the early hours of the morning, carrying these chairs, like something out of the living dead. The were made out of shite however. I saw one go up in bits the minute some poor woman plonked her arse down; the sound of cracking sticks echoed around the fields to great laughter. We spent the day standing in those wet fields and hardly even saw the Pope, he was just a blip on the horizon. But those days are not coming back; we were a country of eejits back then.
We sure were! I remember it well. Whatever may be wrong with present society, it pales in comparison to what it was like in those times.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Itchy

Surely the Pope should pop into Tonys for tea. He'd do well to find a better defender of the faith against all those false accusations leveled against the poor old catholic church.

seafoid

I remember all the new hymns in 1979. They obviously worked cos the hurlers won the all Ireland the year after.
He should go to England and sort out Brexit. God love them.

Has Panti become the official Queen of Ireland or do more people still hail Mary?

Hardy

Quote from: T Fearon on November 23, 2016, 08:47:38 PM
arrest at least,if not reverse,the lamentable anti Catholicism and general spread of atheism in the free state?

No, I'd be pretty confident that the continuing positive re-alignment of the nation's moral compass resulting from the overthrow of the Catholic church's repugnant influence will survive his brief presence. After all, the Director-General of the BBC, the organisation that protected and facilitated Jimmy Savile, was here loads of times and there was no perceptible deleterious effect on public morality in this country as a result.

BennyCake

Quote from: seafoid on November 29, 2016, 10:05:04 AM
I remember all the new hymns in 1979. They obviously worked cos the hurlers won the all Ireland the year after.
He should go to England and sort out Brexit. God love them.

Has Panti become the official Queen of Ireland or do more people still hail Mary?

Brexit is sorted out. They voted Leave.

But maybe he could sort out the Championship format?

BennyCake

Quote from: Hardy on November 29, 2016, 10:09:09 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on November 23, 2016, 08:47:38 PM
arrest at least,if not reverse,the lamentable anti Catholicism and general spread of atheism in the free state?

No, I'd be pretty confident that the continuing positive re-alignment of the nation's moral compass resulting from the overthrow of the Catholic church's repugnant influence will survive his brief presence. After all, the Director-General of the BBC, the organisation that protected and facilitated Jimmy Savile, was here loads of times and there was no perceptible deleterious effect on public morality in this country as a result.

Savile got Papal and royal knighthoods. Makes you wonder how much those two outfits knew of his antics too.