Laois Under 21 Football championship 2016

Started by Hospital Pass, October 18, 2016, 12:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser Söze

Quote from: SCFC on November 01, 2016, 02:18:05 PM
I'd say Laois is one of the more difficult counties in which to get an internal transfer.

And rightly so.

The Ramsbottom Bowe Langton transfers still piss me off 20 years on. Park could've been senior with them three lads. Strad would have won f***all without them.

Greg Ramsbottom, Tom Bowe and Podge Langton? Did all three go at the same time? Background on that?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

High Fielder

I always thought it was very easy to get a transfer. Provide a bogus address and away you go. It's not like anyone will check you're living there, and even if they did, and you weren't, what sanction is there? I think that's what has grated a lot of people. It has been known for a player to transfer and yet still live in the same place. That's just taking the piss in my opinion. Some lads are making out like lads who have done this have had to wrestle with their conscience. Load of crap. They're glory seekers who in the main (thankfully) profit very little. I guess karma plays its part in that.

We have an issue in Laois but we need to keep things simple. Every player, no matter what club they are a part of, should have access to Senior football/hurling. Whether that is part of a Parish/Gaels team is not as important as keeping the lad close to his area club. Transfers in the GAA, unless they are over county boundaries and for practical reasons, should not be tolerated. Exceptions to that rule should only be in unique circumstances.

les Antiques

Greg Ramsbottom, Tom Bowe and Podge Langton? Did all three go at the same time? Background on that

It was all around 12-18 months . Park would have had a decent enough team back then competing at Senior ! I can imagine if they had stayed they could have achieved a lot more . I recall Graigue drawing with them in the championship  back then  soon after they lost the three lads and they were flying it under Liam Irwin .

SCFC

Quote from: Keyser Söze on November 01, 2016, 05:44:22 PM
I'd say Laois is one of the more difficult counties in which to get an internal transfer.

And rightly so.

The Ramsbottom Bowe Langton transfers still piss me off 20 years on. Park could've been senior with them three lads. Strad would have won f***all without them.

Greg Ramsbottom, Tom Bowe and Podge Langton? Did all three go at the same time? Background on that?
It's so long ago now I can't remember. I could be wrong but I think Langton pulled a stroke by transferring to Naas or Leixlip or somewhere like that and then back not to Park but to Stradbally. Not at all sure of the timeframes but all within 2 years is my guess.

Downtheroad

Quote from: High Fielder on November 01, 2016, 07:20:19 PM
I always thought it was very easy to get a transfer. Provide a bogus address and away you go. It's not like anyone will check you're living there, and even if they did, and you weren't, what sanction is there? I think that's what has grated a lot of people. It has been known for a player to transfer and yet still live in the same place. That's just taking the piss in my opinion. Some lads are making out like lads who have done this have had to wrestle with their conscience. Load of crap. They're glory seekers who in the main (thankfully) profit very little. I guess karma plays its part in that.

We have an issue in Laois but we need to keep things simple. Every player, no matter what club they are a part of, should have access to Senior football/hurling. Whether that is part of a Parish/Gaels team is not as important as keeping the lad close to his area club. Transfers in the GAA, unless they are over county boundaries and for practical reasons, should not be tolerated. Exceptions to that rule should only be in unique circumstances.
False addresses are fairly common in the GAA and from what I can see, Co boards turn a blind eye once some form of paperwork is put in place. Laois is no different. I agree that all players should have access to Senior Football/Hurling and that transfers should be the exception rather than the rule.

town1980

look no matter what you say tom bowe greg ram and p langton there all park rathineska men,,they can parade county titles they can say do what they want they left there little club in search of there own glory ,,only a handfull of gaa people do it they decimated there true club,,so there NOT strad men they are blowins to that town and would be very much reminded of it in latter years

BallyroanAbu

I rather have my 2-4 county titles with Stradbally.  I doubt many would say anything to them bar Pub Talk.

Don Draper

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on November 02, 2016, 09:18:14 AM
I rather have my 2-4 county titles with Stradbally.  I doubt many would say anything to them bar Pub Talk.
1 with Park would have been the better of 4 with Stradbally.

BallyroanAbu

town1980

titles with your own club means more than making history with someone elses,,loads of great players im sure have been offerd places to go but in truth how is it as special than winning with lads you grew up with,,,broan abu this time your wrong in my opinion ,you do make alot of sense most of the time not this one though

Don Draper

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on November 02, 2016, 09:52:17 AM
Bird in the hand worth two in the bush.
That makes no sense. There was nothing in the hand at the time.

Ballyroan Abbey

So lets say Mj Tierney went to portlaoise before ok you would of had no problem with it?

Keyser Söze

I wouldn't.
There are examples around the county of fellas who left in search of glory having to crawl back to get it.
Others who left and ended up winning fewer county finals than they would had they stayed etc etc.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

SCFC

I'd have no interest in winning anything except with my home club.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Totally agree, if you can't win them with your own club then they're not worth winning...
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!