Ryder Cup thread ???

Started by Minder, October 02, 2016, 10:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: screenexile on October 02, 2016, 10:44:03 PM
Quote from: Asal Mor on October 02, 2016, 10:40:52 PM
The 7 British players all lost. The 5 non-British players all got something from their matches.

McIlroy is Irish though???
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Applesisapples

Quote from: screenexile on October 03, 2016, 05:17:20 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on October 03, 2016, 04:47:21 PM
There is a culture amongst American sports fans that is an anathema to this side of the Atlantic, but you would here worse at any soccer match on a Saturday. McIlroy made a dick out of himself my confronting that other dick shouting abuse. His own behaviour in roaring and shouting, his bowing Rose's bowing were all fuel on the fire. Suck it up, the yanks had better players, Phil had a point to prove and the best team won. I'm not overly convinced that Clarke and Willet did not have a hand in the brothers tweets.

Nah there's no way they had a hand in that... what was there possibly to gain from it??
Wind up the fans even more

Applesisapples

The putting is interesting, I heard Harman say that Yanks struggle with the slower greens in Europe, maybe that was the reverse here?

No wides

I can see how the yanks could get passionate about their country but how can anyone get passionate about golf a continent!

laoislad

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 04, 2016, 10:08:57 AM
The putting is interesting, I heard Harman say that Yanks struggle with the slower greens in Europe, maybe that was the reverse here?
Harman is a knob though. He'll say any auld shite and contradict himself more times than T Fearon does.

Megaman

Quote from: No wides on October 04, 2016, 11:31:00 AM
I can see how the yanks could get passionate about their country but how can anyone get passionate about golf a continent!

cant understand it myself, i like more of the American players than europeans so always find myself wanting the americans to win, but in reality couldnt care less who wins

yellowcard

It's a bit like the Lions tour, you want to see the Irish players do well but other than that in all reality you couldn't really care less who wins it.

Orior

Quote from: yellowcard on October 04, 2016, 11:55:37 AM

It's a bit like the Lions tour, you want to see the Irish players do well but other than that in all reality you couldn't really care less who wins it.

The Lions tour is much worse. I want to see Ireland beat the New Zealand, but couldnt give two fiddlers about the Lions.

Having said that, the Ryder Cup pits a country against a continent, which does not sound fair, but is fair when you consider the World Rankings.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

No wides

Quote from: Orior on October 04, 2016, 12:24:46 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on October 04, 2016, 11:55:37 AM

The Lions tour is much worse. I want to see Ireland beat the New Zealand, but couldnt give two fiddlers about the Lions.

Having said that, the Ryder Cup pits a country against a continent, which does not sound fair, but is fair when you consider the World Rankings.

Why not just get the top 24 players in the world, alternate them into two teams and call them the invincible's and the majestic ones!  The competition would probably mean as much as this bag of shite.

Hardy

Quote from: Megaman on October 04, 2016, 11:50:25 AM

cant understand it myself, i like more of the American players than europeans so always find myself wanting the americans to win, but in reality couldnt care less who wins

You chose a side for your own reasons. It's all about our very strong innate inclination to tribalism. Swift lampooned it in Gulliver's Travels with his Big-endians and Little-endians.

Studies have been done where people were arbitrarily divided, for instance by giving one group, say a red flag and the other group a blue flag. Other than the flag colour, the group members had nothing obvious in common. They were then set in competition over some trivial subject under their newly assigned colours. In no time you had the groups at each others' throats.

Every two years I say I don't care about the Ryder Cup and it won't make an atom of difference to my life whoever wins. Then I find myself watching it and fist-pumping when a European millionaire sinks a putt to beat an American millionaire. It's irrational by definition - just pure instinct that's hard wired in us.

This year I didn't bother watching it. Heard the result. Didn't give a damn.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Hardy on October 04, 2016, 02:00:53 PM
Quote from: Megaman on October 04, 2016, 11:50:25 AM

You chose a side for your own reasons. It's all about our very strong innate inclination to tribalism. Swift lampooned it in Gulliver's Travels with his Big-endians and Little-endians.

Studies have been done where people were arbitrarily divided, for instance by giving one group, say a red flag and the other group a blue flag. Other than the flag colour, the group members had nothing obvious in common. They were then set in competition over some trivial subject under their newly assigned colours. In no time you had the groups at each others' throats.

Every two years I say I don't care about the Ryder Cup and it won't make an atom of difference to my life whoever wins. Then I find myself watching it and fist-pumping when a European millionaire sinks a putt to beat an American millionaire. It's irrational by definition - just pure instinct that's hard wired in us.

This year I didn't bother watching it. Heard the result. Didn't give a damn.
Agree with all of that. It's "us" v "them" and that's enough for me. The American fans make it easy.

Megaman

although i didnt really care who won, it was great viewing, the golf on show was incredible and i wouldn't miss it.

Milltown Row2

was good viewing, regardless of whether you're into golf or not!! As for who wins well, as long as its a tight game I'm not bother... Hopefully I'll take some tips into my annual golf weekend (once a year i play) to Knightsbrook in Trim this weekend... Good course?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Quote from: Megaman on October 04, 2016, 02:10:11 PM
although i didnt really care who won, it was great viewing, the golf on show was incredible and i wouldn't miss it.
It's brilliant entertainment. I wanted Europe to win but didn't lose any sleep over them losing.  Hard to beat Golf for sporting drama imo.

lurganblue

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 04, 2016, 03:19:44 PM
was good viewing, regardless of whether you're into golf or not!! As for who wins well, as long as its a tight game I'm not bother... Hopefully I'll take some tips into my annual golf weekend (once a year i play) to Knightsbrook in Trim this weekend... Good course?

just played two rounds of it two weekends ago on my annual weekend away (i play a similar amount to yourself and mainly go for the porter).  That was my 1st time playing that course and i was well impressed. great course, but i found it very long and therefore difficult.