All Ireland Final Replay 1st October 2016 Dublin vs Mayo

Started by Hereiam, September 21, 2016, 10:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 06, 2016, 12:36:40 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on October 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AM
For all the talk about the forwards and ability to score, here's a few stats.

In Mayo's four All-Ireland finals since 2012 inclusive, they've got a total of 58 scores to their opponents' combined 54.

In their six championship matches against Dublin since 2012 inclusive, Mayo have got 95 scores to Dublin's 89.

The clear difference is goals.

Dublin have got 10 goals over the course of those 6 games, Mayo have got 4, and never more than 1 in any single game.

Of those 10 Dublin goals:
2 were own goals
2 were penalties (one wrongly awarded - the one in the 2015 drawn game as the foul was outside the penalty area, the other a result of a catastrophic goalkeeping error)
2 clear goalkeeping errors (Brogan 2013, McMahon 2015 replay)
4 others

I'll be surprised if you can find a Mayo man who wouldn't swap their 10 or so forwards on their panel for their Dublin counterparts.

Dublin are considerably better in that department.

I think I know what you mean, but most Gaa supporters wouldn't really want to 'swap' their players with another county. Also, I reckon both panels have about forward 4 All-Stars, which considering Dublin's 3 All-Ireland wins (not counting this year as the All-Stars haven't been awarded) is remarkably even.

Regarding goalkeepers, Cluxton has made many mistakes on the big stage. We seem to watch these mistakes and get nothing out of them. Our mistakes seem be clinically punished, with the exception of a couple of Clarke errors in the drawn game.
MWWSI 2017

Kurtz

After being at the Semi Final and Final
Kerry forwards were better than Mayo's
Kerry fans were sick after the game, because they felt their forwards would have done the job in the final

muppet

Quote from: Kurtz on October 06, 2016, 01:13:50 PM
Kerry fans were sick after the game, because they felt their forwards would have done the job in the final

This will obviously come as a surprise to you, but Kerry's forwards wouldn't be marking Mayo's forwards.
MWWSI 2017

straightred

Quote from: The Aristocrat on October 06, 2016, 11:49:15 AM

In Mayo's four All-Ireland finals since 2012 inclusive, they've got a total of 58 scores to their opponents' combined 54.

In their six championship matches against Dublin since 2012 inclusive, Mayo have got 95 scores to Dublin's 89.

Dublin have got 10 goals over the course of those 6 games, Mayo have got 4, and never more than 1 in any single game.

2 were own goals
2 were penalties (one wrongly awarded - the one in the 2015 drawn game as the foul was outside the penalty area, the other a result of a catastrophic goalkeeping error)
4 others

The difference is Dublin don't do errors that lead to goals in big games and don't leak too many goals. They have made errors though in lesser games.

Mayo lost by a point over 160 minutes of football, could have gone either way, fair play to them and guaranteed to get back to the final next year.
That's a lofty claim. For a start assuming they both win their respective provinces (big assumption) then they'd have Kerry in the semi. Are the "guaranteed" to win that. Absolutely not.

Kurtz

Quote from: muppet on October 06, 2016, 01:19:29 PM

This will obviously come as a surprise to you, but Kerry's forwards wouldn't be marking Mayo's forwards.

You cant fix stupid
Its forever

muppet

Quote from: Kurtz on October 06, 2016, 01:50:12 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 06, 2016, 01:19:29 PM

You cant fix stupid
Its forever

Yet you manage to get your thoughts onto the internet. Well done.
MWWSI 2017

Cunny Funt

Quote from: straightred on October 06, 2016, 01:33:43 PM
Quote from: The Aristocrat on October 06, 2016, 11:49:15 AM

2 were own goals
4 others

The difference is Dublin don't do errors that lead to goals in big games and don't leak too many goals. They have made errors though in lesser games.

Mayo lost by a point over 160 minutes of football, could have gone either way, fair play to them and guaranteed to get back to the final next year.
That's a lofty claim. For a start assuming they both win their respective provinces (big assumption) then they'd have Kerry in the semi. Are the "guaranteed" to win that. Absolutely not.
Yes no guarantee. Kerry haven't lost to Mayo in the championship for 20 years and then the 2018 semi will possibly be v Dublin so in theory it could be 2019 before Mayo reach the AI final again.

dublin7

Quote from: muppet on October 06, 2016, 01:13:12 PM

2 were own goals
4 others

I'll be surprised if you can find a Mayo man who wouldn't swap their 10 or so forwards on their panel for their Dublin counterparts.

I think I know what you mean, but most Gaa supporters wouldn't really want to 'swap' their players with another county. Also, I reckon both panels have about forward 4 All-Stars, which considering Dublin's 3 All-Ireland wins (not counting this year as the All-Stars haven't been awarded) is remarkably even.

Regarding goalkeepers, Cluxton has made many mistakes on the big stage. We seem to watch these mistakes and get nothing out of them. Our mistakes seem be clinically punished, with the exception of a couple of Clarke errors in the drawn game.

I don't see how you can claim Mayo have 4 all star caliber forwards.  Their best forward this year was 33yr old Andy Moran.  Rochford tried to ease him out of the team, realised he was the best forward he had and restored him to the team. 

In a simple comparison none of the Mayo forwards would be first choice for Dublin where as the likes of Costello, Andrews and Mannion who struggled to get into the Dublin team would be first choice for Mayo.

muppet

Quote from: dublin7 on October 06, 2016, 02:31:25 PM

2 were own goals
4 others

I don't see how you can claim Mayo have 4 all star caliber forwards. Their best forward this year was 33yr old Andy Moran.  Rochford tried to ease him out of the team, realised he was the best forward he had and restored him to the team. 

In a simple comparison none of the Mayo forwards would be first choice for Dublin where as the likes of Costello, Andrews and Mannion who struggled to get into the Dublin team would be first choice for Mayo.

I didn't.

I said '4 All-Star Forwards'.

Alan Dillon, Andy Moran, Aiden O'Shea (1 as a forward) and Cillian O'Connor.

This Dublin panel has 4 All-Star Forwards.

Bernard Brogan, Ciaran Kilkenny, Diarmuid Connelly and Paul Flynn.

The rest of your post is simply insulting and not worth commenting on.
MWWSI 2017

dublin7

Quote from: muppet on October 06, 2016, 02:38:36 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on October 06, 2016, 02:31:25 PM

2 were own goals
4 others

I don't see how you can claim Mayo have 4 all star caliber forwards. Their best forward this year was 33yr old Andy Moran.  Rochford tried to ease him out of the team, realised he was the best forward he had and restored him to the team. 

I didn't.

I said '4 All-Star Forwards'.

Alan Dillon, Andy Moran, Aiden O'Shea (1 as a forward) and Cillian O'Connor.

This Dublin panel has 4 All-Star Forwards.

Bernard Brogan, Ciaran Kilkenny, Diarmuid Connelly and Paul Flynn.

The rest of your post is simply insulting and not worth commenting on.

May have 4 All Star forwards. You should be in politics. Alan Dillon is about 33/34 & won his all star in 2012. That's like the dubs picking Ciaran Whelan for the all ireland replay and claiming he is an all star midfielder. 

Ridiculous comparisons to make against the likes of Kilkenny/Connolly

Maroon Manc

2 were own goals
4 others

It maybe evenish in terms of All Stars but the Dubs have more quality and certainly more options and variety to their attack.

muppet

MM do you really think many Mayo supporters would swap 26 year old Dean Rock for 24 year old Cillian? 

If we had 6 forwards who were kept scoreless from play for as long as the Dubs were we would be ridiculed from all quarters. But when the reverse occurs we are told to dump our lot and import the Dubs?
MWWSI 2017

yellowcard

Aidan O'Shea is a top class forward when he isn't playing against Dublin. Had an outside chance for POTY until the 2 final matches (obviously needed a big final to win it). In 4 matches against the Dubs both this year and last however he just hasn't produced the goods. I'd still have him as Mayo's most dangerous forward but he needs quick early ball with a chance to get a run on his opponent. A bit like Keegan with Connolly, McMahon is also turning into a bit of a nemesis for O'Shea.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: muppet on October 06, 2016, 04:08:26 PM
MM do you really think many Mayo supporters would swap 26 year old Dean Rock for 24 year old Cillian? 

If we had 6 forwards who were kept scoreless from play for as long as the Dubs were we would be ridiculed from all quarters. But when the reverse occurs we are told to dump our lot and import the Dubs?

Hence why I said the 10 or so forwards on the panel, Mayo only have a few players of the calibre of COC whereas the Dubs have several more.

In the 3 finals where Mayo have been beaten in 12, 13 & 16 their forwards have a joint total of 9 points from play. That was the one off from the Dubs whereas the Mayo forwards have consistently not delivered in finals.

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on October 06, 2016, 04:08:26 PM

I think it's certainly true that Mayo get undue criticism from people about their forwards, however it is also true, in my opinion, that Mayo people have a very defensive attitude to criticism of the forwards, and maybe more pertinently their forward play in general. There is absolutely a lack of top quality, either individually or as a collective, in the forwards and that is what has, in my opinion, stopped them from taking that final step. Cillian O'Connor is a fine player, but if Paul Geaney was born in Mayo rather than Kerry, Mayo would probably have won by now. Or James O'Donoghue, or maybe even Michael Quinlivan or young Comer from Galway.

It's certainly not bottle, or fitness, or even defensive tactics that are causing them to lose, I think it's just that small bit of extra quality which is missing.