All Ireland Final Replay 1st October 2016 Dublin vs Mayo

Started by Hereiam, September 21, 2016, 10:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avondhu star

How many finals have Mayo lost going back to the Meath final and replay by being too soft?
Kerry (the masters of cynical football) ArmaghTyrone Dublin got away with it for years. Now that Mayo have realised what it needs they get slated
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

INDIANA

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 04, 2016, 06:47:41 PM
Quote from: heffo on October 04, 2016, 09:05:41 AM
Quote from: seafoid on October 04, 2016, 09:00:57 AM
The Dubs are not better than Mayo 

Given that Mayo have had 10/11 chances to beat Dublin under Gavin and haven't succeeded, that's a beauty.
I think, my friend, you confuse "better" with "luckier."
Take the All Ireland and the replay: Dublin won the title and are being acclaimed as the best team of all time etc. etc. whereas the poor culchies get the usual sympathetic noises and are sent packing to wait another year for the same inevitable result.
But were Dublin the better of the pair over the two games or did Mayo goof spectacularly as they usually.  Did Dublin win the AI or did Mayo lose it?
In the first game, Mayo gifted two goals to Dublin; went in at the interval five points behind and were still 3 points down after 68 minutes and still managed to draw level.
In the replay, Dublin started off with 3 straight points all as a result of Rochford losing his marbles and switching goalies.
In spite of this, Mayo closed the deficit and then Hennelly made a duck's arse of clearing a ball that wound up with Connolly and Keegan, the most influential player on the field did his duty and took his black card for the greater good of the team. At this time, Keegan was making a big girl's blouse out of Conolly one more time and his departure robbed Mayo of its' most valuable player.
In spite of all this, COC could have brought the game into extra time if his last free had gone over.
It didn't and so the Dubs are AI champions for 2016.
Don't tell me that they were the better team.
I accept the result and all one can do is rev up for next year. I don't know of any other Mayo fan who is bitching about the result either.
But it's the gloating from the blue corner that bugs me.
Given that the dice are loaded in every conceivable way, against all other counties, one could be led to believe that this Dublin squad are the greatest thing since the sliced pan.
A bit of humility would be in order.

Rather then letting loose with bile about whether dublin are the greatest or not the greatest etc - you deflect from the reasons you lost the game. I do wonder with Mayo's inbred hatred of Dublin will they allow that blind them from the fundamental reasons why they are yet again All Ireland less Lar?

Mayo could have won an AI in 1996 and 1997. They could also have won in 2012 and 2016.

I'm taking out 2004 and 2006, 2013. They weren't good enough in any of those years.

1- For a county that allegedly doesn't play many other sports. Why can't they produce top class forwards ( Mc Donald) excepted). It's a terrible indictment of the county but one over 20 years they've done absolutely nothing about. ( except blame Dublin!)

2- Poor management decisions . It just beggars belief at this point. Rumour has it Clarke had retired. Hard to blame him.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: heffo on October 04, 2016, 08:12:17 PM

Given that Mayo have had 10/11 chances to beat Dublin under Gavin and haven't succeeded, that's a beauty.
Take the All Ireland and the replay: Dublin won the title and are being acclaimed as the best team of all time etc. etc. whereas the poor culchies get the usual sympathetic noises and are sent packing to wait another year for the same inevitable result.
But were Dublin the better of the pair over the two games or did Mayo goof spectacularly as they usually.  Did Dublin win the AI or did Mayo lose it?
In the first game, Mayo gifted two goals to Dublin; went in at the interval five points behind and were still 3 points down after 68 minutes and still managed to draw level.
In the replay, Dublin started off with 3 straight points all as a result of Rochford losing his marbles and switching goalies.
In spite of this, Mayo closed the deficit and then Hennelly made a duck's arse of clearing a ball that wound up with Connolly and Keegan, the most influential player on the field did his duty and took his black card for the greater good of the team. At this time, Keegan was making a big girl's blouse out of Conolly one more time and his departure robbed Mayo of its' most valuable player.
In spite of all this, COC could have brought the game into extra time if his last free had gone over.
I accept the result and all one can do is rev up for next year. I don't know of any other Mayo fan who is bitching about the result either.
Given that the dice are loaded in every conceivable way, against all other counties, one could be led to believe that this Dublin squad are the greatest thing since the sliced pan.

Whatever you're smoking I'd love some

;D ;D
Ah, the usual ad hominem attacks when unable to accept facts.
Point out one single statement of mine that you find issue with.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

sid waddell

Quote from: INDIANA on October 04, 2016, 10:25:50 PM

Mayo could have won an AI in 1996 and 1997. They could also have won in 2012 and 2016.

I'm taking out 2004 and 2006, 2013. They weren't good enough in any of those years.

Rather bizarre that you'd include 2012 as one they could have won and 2013 as one they couldn't, given that they were a lot closer to winning the 2013 final than the 2012 one and their championship performances in 2013 were more impressive overall than in 2012.

A goalkeeping mistake turned the 2013 final too at a time when Mayo were well on top.

Donegal were going to win in 2012 regardless of what happened early on.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: criostlinn on October 04, 2016, 07:51:43 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 04, 2016, 06:13:57 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on October 03, 2016, 10:15:39 PM
Quote from: blast05 on October 03, 2016, 10:04:08 PM
NetNitrate .... you know the intent of that rule is to deal with the 3rd man tackle.
And Keegan did not "deliberately collide" with him.

My frustration with the episode is with Deegan (and Connolly for doing a soccer esque on it in looking for a card) for looking to have changed his mind after Connolly gave him a lecture, i.e.: as previously mentioned, Deegan first indicated a jersey bull but after the lecture he indicated a pull down movement. Keegan, if anything, was too innocent in that moment in that he should have jumped in and shoved Connolly and made it clear to Deegan that Connolly went to ground of his own volition (i.e.: dived).

Anyway, its one incident. Bar that, i would be 100% looking in the mirror to explain why we lost .....but its hard to move on from it immediately given the influence from the ex-Dublin players in the week leading up to the match

Not a dive. Only a dive when Aiden O Shea does it. And he wasnt waving an imaginary card around or trying to get Keegan sent off. Again these are only actions of that O'Shea fella.

I'll field this one.

Aidan O'Shea had his apologists out all over the place after his blatant bit of cheating against Fermanagh, by and large he was protect by many media figures and had the temerity to make bare faced lies when denying his dive which showed Fermanagh and Che Cullen absolutely zero respect.

O'Shea also went looking for Cavangh to get a second yellow in Tyrone  and made the card waving gesture to Gough so if you're going to start crying about injustice and double standards I would quit before you make yourself look very stupid.

Are you having a laugh. Aidan O'Shea was castigated for it. It was a huge topic for a couple of weeks. He was absolutely hammered for it and your only problem is that you don't feel he got as much as yon idiot from Tyrone who had his hair rubbed. As for the second part. Well like a lot of stuff you post. You just made that up.

But anyway. That's not the point I'm making. How much have you heard about Connolly's dive and gesturing for cards

Castigated for it? Hammered for it?

He was in his f**k castigated. Dessie Dolan said he was opportunistic live on air after the game, Ciaran Whelan asked for people to lay off O'Shea. O'Shea came out and lied about it in the aftermath and showed no remorse, had his manager come out and lie for him. Tiernan McCann got slaughtered last year, Aidan O'Shea had apologists out for him all over the country - no bans, no calls for public apologies, no bad smell following his team around. Whatever about defending their player, there wasn't even an acknowledgement out of the Mayo camp that what he did was wrong.

How much did we hear about Aidan O'Shea gesturing for a yellow card against Sean Cavanagh? About the same we have heard about Connolly. Did Connolly get Keegan done? Most definitely. Was it gamesmanship? Most definitely. Connolly was fouled though, it was a yellow card but he was doing his best to make sure Deegan issued the black.

Was there a certain ironic justice to it? Most definitely. Keegan has effectively used underhand tactics and the dark arts to get Connolly put off and keep him quiet in the past so I don't think Keegan can feel too hard done by when the shoe is on the other foot.

You seem to be whinging about things your own county has had no problem using in the past. Do you remember James Horan using the media to heap pressure on Joe McQuillan before the 2013 All Ireland final or his comments about Donegal's physicality before their 2013 meeting.

INDIANA

Quote from: sid waddell on October 04, 2016, 10:37:38 PM

Rather bizarre that you'd include 2012 as one they could have won and 2013 as one they couldn't, given that they were a lot closer to winning the 2013 final than the 2012 one and their championship performances in 2013 were more impressive overall than in 2012.

A goalkeeping mistake turned the 2013 final too at a time when Mayo were well on top.

I don't agree. Putting Keane on Murphy was another gaffe. Game was over after 10mins. No goals and it was a horse race.

Lar Naparka

Rather then letting loose with bile about whether dublin are the greatest or not the greatest etc - you deflect from the reasons you lost the game. I do wonder with Mayo's inbred hatred of Dublin will they allow that blind them from the fundamental reasons why they are yet again All Ireland less Lar?

1- For a county that allegedly doesn't play many other sports. Why can't they produce top class forwards ( Mc Donald) excepted). It's a terrible indictment of the county but one over 20 years they've done absolutely nothing about. ( except blame Dublin!)

2- Poor management decisions . It just beggars belief at this point. Rumour has it Clarke had retired. Hard to blame him.
Now, now Indy, stick to the point if you please.
You may be talking about 2004, 2006, 2013 but I was quite clear that I was referring to the two games this year and this year alone. My sole point is many of you heads like to gloat over your win, forgetting that Mayo well and truly fucked themselves up and Dublin are not to blame in any way for this.
It's when Dub supporters here and on the street, start throwing shapes about how great their side is that I object to- nothing more.
As for Mayo's lack of quality forwards, the team notched up 1-14 the last day and 0-15 the day before and against an experienced defence like Dublin's that's okay by any standards.

dublin7

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 04, 2016, 10:34:41 PM

;D ;D

That's 5 times Mayo have played Dublin and still haven't win and for all their battling how many times were Mayo ahead in the 2 games. Dublin got their share of luck on saturday but they didn't pick the Mayo team. They were the better team on saturday and even James Horan admitted Dublin should have win more comfortably. Fitzsimons puts the ball over the bar in the last minute like he should have Mayo don't get last minute chance to equalise.

You can bitch and moan about Dublin's spending but at least they are producing top class footballers. The forwards on the bench for Dublin would walk on to the Mayo team.

I'd be more worried about the standard of coaching in Mayo that the county is unable to produce forwards capable of kicking the football over the bar. Mayo's most threatening attackers are Lee Keegan a wing back and 32 year old Andy Moran who can't last 70 minutes anymore and Mayo fans wonder why they can't win an all Ireland.

Feel free to call into Parnell park to visit sam any time over the winter. There is a nice banner on the railway bridge at busaras/Connolly station to remind all the culchies visiting Dublin where Sam is staying for the 2nd year in a row.😜

dublin7

Quote from: sid waddell on October 04, 2016, 10:37:38 PM

In 2013 Eoghan O'Gara did his hamstring with 15 min left and dubs were basically down to 14 men. Then with 10 min left RoryO'Carroll got concussed and they were down to 13 fit players and Mayo still couldn't win. In that final Mayo didn't score a point from play in the 2nd half. That's not unlucky, that's just rubbish

Rossfan

Quote from: east down gael on October 04, 2016, 10:51:45 PM
You never stop do you bomber?
At least he's moved on from insulting and belittling Roscommon anyway >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ashman

Quote from: dublin7 on October 04, 2016, 10:55:25 PM

;D ;D

That's 5 times Mayo have played Dublin and still haven't win and for all their battling how many times were Mayo ahead in the 2 games. Dublin got their share of luck on saturday but they didn't pick the Mayo team. They were the better team on saturday and even James Horan admitted Dublin should have win more comfortably. Fitzsimons puts the ball over the bar in the last minute like he should have Mayo don't get last minute chance to equalise.

You can bitch and moan about Dublin's spending but at least they are producing top class footballers. The forwards on the bench for Dublin would walk on to the Mayo team.

I'd be more worried about the standard of coaching in Mayo that the county is unable to produce forwards capable of kicking the football over the bar. Mayo's most threatening attackers are Lee Keegan a wing back and 32 year old Andy Moran who can't last 70 minutes anymore and Mayo fans wonder why they can't win an all Ireland.

Feel free to call into Parnell park to visit sam any time over the winter. There is a nice banner on the railway bridge at busaras/Connolly station to remind all the culchies visiting Dublin where Sam is staying for the 2nd year in a row.😜

The gloating makes you look very silly given the loaded dice .  Utterly pathetic .   

blast05

QuoteFitzsimons puts the ball over the bar in the last minute like he should have Mayo don't get last minute chance to equalise.

Ah FFS lad ... gloating. And then offering a level of analysis on a par with "if me aunt had balls she'd be me uncle"

macdanger2

Congrats to the Dubs, they beat Donegal, Kerry & Mayo to win this so nobody can say it was a soft one for them.

From our point of view, the goalkeeping change was madness, there are a lot of things you can't control in sport but this was one we could have. I feel sorry for Hennelly, he must be in a bad way for the last few days.

On the ref, he bottled the two Small decisions; in particular the black card which was stonewall. The Keegan decision was very poor also, he allowed himself to be influenced on that, it was a foul and nothing more (as an aside, despite this, Connolly had very little influence on the game for a player of his quality). The Cooper decision was harsh but correct by the letter of the law. McLoughlin should have been a black too. Both Connolly & Vaughan should have been black also by the letter of the law (one for a 3rd man tackle, the other for a deliberate hand trip). McCarthy should have seen yellow for a dangerous tackle on Vaughan, I guess Dublin felt they had been bullied the first day and he was laying down a marker there. As I said, these decisions were out of our control, there were other things within our control that would have resulted in us winning if we had done better on them.

Hard to fault the effort of any of our players over the two games; in the replay, I thought our back 8 were excellent - Harrison & Durcan in particular. Up front, all tried hard but against a backline like that, it's hard to get much change. A lot of the chat has been about how we need to find 1-2 "natural forwards" but the fact is, across the two games, the starting 6 forwards on both teams had the following returns from play:

Andy - 3 pts in 2 games
COC - 2 pts in 2 games
DOC - 1 pt in 2 games
Doc - 1 pt in 2 games
McLoughlin - 1 pt in 2 games
AOS - 0 pts in 2 games

Rock - 3 pts in 2 games
Connolly - 2 pts in 2 games
McManamon - 1 pt in 2 games
KK - 0pts in 2 games
Brogan - 0 pts in 1 game
Andrews - 0 pts in 1 game (didn't start the first game but came on very early so could call this 2 pts in 2 games)
Mannion - 0 pts in 1 game
Flynn - 0 pts in 1 game (started 2nd game @ mf)

It makes for pretty grim reading for anyone looking for free-scoring football but with the numbers of players teams get back these days and the low-risk football teams like to play, it's practically impossible for players to even get a shot off.

Now if Mayo had McBrearty and Quinlivan in our FF line, we'd probably have bagged another couple of scores and won the AI but for me, that's not where we lost this one. Could we do with another top-quality forward or two? Absolutely, but you only have to look at the stats above to see the quality of forward you need to even get a couple of points in a game like this. Easy to throw out the lazy cliches though about forwards, etc.

I think the fact that we had used up 3 subs on enforced changes by the 40th minute really affected us down the home straight in terms of legs. In the last 5 minutes of normal time, we weren't getting the numbers up in support because players weren't simply able to at that stage. Dublin on the other hand had two former POTYs to bring on and that was the difference, MDMAs running in particular.

Well done Dublin, hopefully we'll get an opportunity to take ye're crown next year.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: dublin7 on October 04, 2016, 10:55:25 PM

;D ;D

With due respect my friend, that load of BS have nothing to do with what I wrote.
"Ah, the usual ad hominem attacks when unable to accept facts.
Point out one single statement of mine that you find issue with."

That's what I wrote and that's what I stand over.