All Ireland Final Replay 1st October 2016 Dublin vs Mayo

Started by Hereiam, September 21, 2016, 10:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 04, 2016, 11:29:07 AM
Deegan certainly got a couple of big decisions wrong but I don't subscribe to the idea that he did enough to cost Mayo, Mayo certainly were on the receiving end of a couple of free's that shouldn't have been given.

Anyone else think Hennelly should just keep his mouth shut and take the criticism instead of looking for sympathy?

As for Connolly he's very hard to warm too, he's the most talented player of his generation but he's constantly looking for confrontation.

I think Mayo will be back and won't be far away next year as long as there isn't too many retirements. I heard a rumour that Higgins will retire but I just don't see it. This team have played into late August or September for the last 5 years, you have to admire their character given the heartbreak they've suffered.

in a one point game almost any mistake a ref make can swing the game one way or another ,  a few black cards early on  , aidan o shea could have had a penalty,a soft fee kick given or not given etc etc .   probably as many could have gone the other way but biased eyes coudnt see it but thats all part of  the game.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Gael85

Quote from: heffo on October 04, 2016, 03:36:32 PM
Quote from: screenexile on October 04, 2016, 03:18:58 PM
The real winning team . . . Not many amateurs amongst them I should imagine!!

Still smaller than Mayo's - the only pro's are the Physio & S&C coach. Plus that's Jimmy Gavin Senior at the end of the front right row.

Good to see Jimmy wearing the Cooraclare colours.  :)

Hound

Quote from: Thy Kingdom Come on October 04, 2016, 03:30:36 PM

Did Dublin win the League before 2011? Do you honestly think it would it have helped them if they had?
Did our best to win it in 2011, and came up a point short.
Won a very tight final in 2013.
I'd say both runs helped us in the quest for Sam those years.

Cork won the league in 2010 after losing in the All Ireland final in 2 of the previous 3 years. 2010 they finally won Sam.

Mayo have only been to one league final in the last 6 years, and were beaten by 5 points in it.
I'm not saying there's any direct correlation or guaranteed formula, but if Mayo get to a league final in 2017, it would probably be the 3rd biggest game of the year for them (after possible AI semi and final), and I'd say it would be pretty useful.

Being Rochford's second year, he's well bedded in, there's no good reason not to go full throttle and try and win it (while blooding a few of the U21s too of course, but you can try and do both).

easytiger95

Think I'm right in saying that before 2011 our last appearance in a league final was in 99, when we lost to Cork. I think Gilroy and Galvin's prioritising of the league undoubtedly had an effect on us. Remember, under Pillar we were relegated to Div 2 for a season. I think as we go on the League will become a more and more useful barometer on where teams are on a national level, though there will still be scope for the likes of Tipp to make a run through the qualifiers.

Dublin's last sustained period of dominance in Leinster and on the All Ireland stage in the early 90s was buttressed by league final appearances - won it in 87, beaten in the final in 88 after a replay by Meath, beat Kildare in 91 and Donegal in 93 in the finals - then we dropped off the map. No coincidence that we did the same in the championship.

dublin7

Quote from: Fuzzman on October 04, 2016, 03:35:05 PM
Dublin's were much more defensive this year I thought but maybe that's because they met Donegal, Kerry and Mayo twice once they came out of Leinster. All those teams played with heavy blanket defence I thought and so that shows up why their forwards struggled so much from play this year.
Brogan scored 6.21 last year in 7 games. This year he only managed 1.10.
Rock scored 2.23 last year but this year he got 1.58.

The importance of a reliable free taker is very important in this new era of mass defensive systems where having a top elite forward doesn't matter so much any more as he will be marked out of it most often by the top teams. I think this is why Mayo were able to stay so close to Dublin as Cillian O'Connor could match their free taking ability for most of the game.

All teams playing against Dublin in the league/championship set up with blanket defences so the dublin players have become conditioned to playing a slower game and working space for shooting chances.  Even so Brogan has struggle for form this year and was anonymous from the qtr finals onwards.  It shows how far Dubin have come that they can drop/carry him for the big games and still win the all ireland.

Any of Dublin's forward options on the bench would be starters for May and until they find a couple of pacy inside forwards they will continue to come up short.  They just don't have a go to forward to get kick a point in tight games.  Andy Moran is the closest to this but he is on his last legs.

Thy Kingdom Come

Quote from: Hound on October 04, 2016, 04:33:12 PM
Quote from: Thy Kingdom Come on October 04, 2016, 03:30:36 PM

Did Dublin win the League before 2011? Do you honestly think it would it have helped them if they had?
Did our best to win it in 2011, and came up a point short.
Won a very tight final in 2013.
I'd say both runs helped us in the quest for Sam those years.

Cork won the league in 2010 after losing in the All Ireland final in 2 of the previous 3 years. 2010 they finally won Sam.

Mayo have only been to one league final in the last 6 years, and were beaten by 5 points in it.
I'm not saying there's any direct correlation or guaranteed formula, but if Mayo get to a league final in 2017, it would probably be the 3rd biggest game of the year for them (after possible AI semi and final), and I'd say it would be pretty useful.

Being Rochford's second year, he's well bedded in, there's no good reason not to go full throttle and try and win it (while blooding a few of the U21s too of course, but you can try and do both).

So the answer is ye did not win it before ye won an All Ireland? Lets just say Mayo are foolish enough to take your advise and go for a league title. What happens to their confidence if they lose to Dublin in the final playing in Dublins home pitch?

ballinaman

Quote from: heffo on October 04, 2016, 03:36:32 PM
Quote from: screenexile on October 04, 2016, 03:18:58 PM
The real winning team . . . Not many amateurs amongst them I should imagine!!

Still smaller than Mayo's - the only pro's are the Physio & S&C coach. Plus that's Jimmy Gavin Senior at the end of the front right row.
Smaller than 2015 Mayo back room you mean.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: criostlinn on October 03, 2016, 10:15:39 PM
Quote from: blast05 on October 03, 2016, 10:04:08 PM
NetNitrate .... you know the intent of that rule is to deal with the 3rd man tackle.
And Keegan did not "deliberately collide" with him.

My frustration with the episode is with Deegan (and Connolly for doing a soccer esque on it in looking for a card) for looking to have changed his mind after Connolly gave him a lecture, i.e.: as previously mentioned, Deegan first indicated a jersey bull but after the lecture he indicated a pull down movement. Keegan, if anything, was too innocent in that moment in that he should have jumped in and shoved Connolly and made it clear to Deegan that Connolly went to ground of his own volition (i.e.: dived).

Anyway, its one incident. Bar that, i would be 100% looking in the mirror to explain why we lost .....but its hard to move on from it immediately given the influence from the ex-Dublin players in the week leading up to the match

Not a dive. Only a dive when Aiden O Shea does it. And he wasnt waving an imaginary card around or trying to get Keegan sent off. Again these are only actions of that O'Shea fella.

I'll field this one.

Aidan O'Shea had his apologists out all over the place after his blatant bit of cheating against Fermanagh, by and large he was protect by many media figures and had the temerity to make bare faced lies when denying his dive which showed Fermanagh and Che Cullen absolutely zero respect.

O'Shea also went looking for Cavangh to get a second yellow in Tyrone  and made the card waving gesture to Gough so if you're going to start crying about injustice and double standards I would quit before you make yourself look very stupid.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Canalman on October 04, 2016, 01:09:54 PM
This "greatest team ever" guff is just a sarcastic sneer and not taken seriously at all.

Kerry team of 70s/80s the best ever and will probably never be matched.

This current Dublin team is (again imo) competing with an awful lot of teams to be rated as second ............ Tyrone in the 00s, Down in the 1960s, Kerry in the 00s again, Galway 3 in a row team, Kerry in the 1930s ( I presume) , Dublin in the 70s  Sean Boylan teams etc. Many others

Take your pick, all have merit.

Spot on. Whoever gives Dublin that label have either poor memories or haven't been following football very long

Lar Naparka

Quote from: heffo on October 04, 2016, 09:05:41 AM
Quote from: seafoid on October 04, 2016, 09:00:57 AM
The Dubs are not better than Mayo 

Given that Mayo have had 10/11 chances to beat Dublin under Gavin and haven't succeeded, that's a beauty.
I think, my friend, you confuse "better" with "luckier."
Take the All Ireland and the replay: Dublin won the title and are being acclaimed as the best team of all time etc. etc. whereas the poor culchies get the usual sympathetic noises and are sent packing to wait another year for the same inevitable result.
But were Dublin the better of the pair over the two games or did Mayo goof spectacularly as they usually.  Did Dublin win the AI or did Mayo lose it?
In the first game, Mayo gifted two goals to Dublin; went in at the interval five points behind and were still 3 points down after 68 minutes and still managed to draw level.
In the replay, Dublin started off with 3 straight points all as a result of Rochford losing his marbles and switching goalies.
In spite of this, Mayo closed the deficit and then Hennelly made a duck's arse of clearing a ball that wound up with Connolly and Keegan, the most influential player on the field did his duty and took his black card for the greater good of the team. At this time, Keegan was making a big girl's blouse out of Conolly one more time and his departure robbed Mayo of its' most valuable player.
In spite of all this, COC could have brought the game into extra time if his last free had gone over.
It didn't and so the Dubs are AI champions for 2016.
Don't tell me that they were the better team.
I accept the result and all one can do is rev up for next year. I don't know of any other Mayo fan who is bitching about the result either.
But it's the gloating from the blue corner that bugs me.
Given that the dice are loaded in every conceivable way, against all other counties, one could be led to believe that this Dublin squad are the greatest thing since the sliced pan.
A bit of humility would be in order.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

tonto1888

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 04, 2016, 06:47:41 PM

Given that Mayo have had 10/11 chances to beat Dublin under Gavin and haven't succeeded, that's a beauty.
Take the All Ireland and the replay: Dublin won the title and are being acclaimed as the best team of all time etc. etc. whereas the poor culchies get the usual sympathetic noises and are sent packing to wait another year for the same inevitable result.
But were Dublin the better of the pair over the two games or did Mayo goof spectacularly as they usually.  Did Dublin win the AI or did Mayo lose it?
In the first game, Mayo gifted two goals to Dublin; went in at the interval five points behind and were still 3 points down after 68 minutes and still managed to draw level.
In the replay, Dublin started off with 3 straight points all as a result of Rochford losing his marbles and switching goalies.
In spite of this, Mayo closed the deficit and then Hennelly made a duck's arse of clearing a ball that wound up with Connolly and Keegan, the most influential player on the field did his duty and took his black card for the greater good of the team. At this time, Keegan was making a big girl's blouse out of Conolly one more time and his departure robbed Mayo of its' most valuable player.
In spite of all this, COC could have brought the game into extra time if his last free had gone over.
I accept the result and all one can do is rev up for next year. I don't know of any other Mayo fan who is bitching about the result either.
Given that the dice are loaded in every conceivable way, against all other counties, one could be led to believe that this Dublin squad are the greatest thing since the sliced pan.

How many times have this Dublin team beat Mayo? And how many times does it have to be to stop being lucky?

criostlinn

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 04, 2016, 06:13:57 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on October 03, 2016, 10:15:39 PM
Quote from: blast05 on October 03, 2016, 10:04:08 PM
NetNitrate .... you know the intent of that rule is to deal with the 3rd man tackle.
And Keegan did not "deliberately collide" with him.

My frustration with the episode is with Deegan (and Connolly for doing a soccer esque on it in looking for a card) for looking to have changed his mind after Connolly gave him a lecture, i.e.: as previously mentioned, Deegan first indicated a jersey bull but after the lecture he indicated a pull down movement. Keegan, if anything, was too innocent in that moment in that he should have jumped in and shoved Connolly and made it clear to Deegan that Connolly went to ground of his own volition (i.e.: dived).

Anyway, its one incident. Bar that, i would be 100% looking in the mirror to explain why we lost .....but its hard to move on from it immediately given the influence from the ex-Dublin players in the week leading up to the match

Not a dive. Only a dive when Aiden O Shea does it. And he wasnt waving an imaginary card around or trying to get Keegan sent off. Again these are only actions of that O'Shea fella.

I'll field this one.

Aidan O'Shea had his apologists out all over the place after his blatant bit of cheating against Fermanagh, by and large he was protect by many media figures and had the temerity to make bare faced lies when denying his dive which showed Fermanagh and Che Cullen absolutely zero respect.

O'Shea also went looking for Cavangh to get a second yellow in Tyrone  and made the card waving gesture to Gough so if you're going to start crying about injustice and double standards I would quit before you make yourself look very stupid.

Are you having a laugh. Aidan O'Shea was castigated for it. It was a huge topic for a couple of weeks. He was absolutely hammered for it and your only problem is that you don't feel he got as much as yon idiot from Tyrone who had his hair rubbed. As for the second part. Well like a lot of stuff you post. You just made that up.

But anyway. That's not the point I'm making. How much have you heard about Connolly's dive and gesturing for cards

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Keegan got castigated for taking 3 punches in the 1st game too, Connolly was the victim in that matter.

heffo

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 04, 2016, 06:47:41 PM

Whatever you're smoking I'd love some