All Ireland Final Replay 1st October 2016 Dublin vs Mayo

Started by Hereiam, September 21, 2016, 10:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Jinxy

Daft stuff.
They didn't score two own goals the first day because they have to travel up and down to training.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Hound

I thought Dublin defended brilliantly for the large part.

But a lot of our play with ball-in-hand was dreadful. It was as if our handpassing drills for the last 2 weeks were - "handpass 5 yards in front of him, and let him run onto it". So many unforced errors it was chronic, which when added to Mayo generally defending well led to just an average enough performance. We could have strolled over the line, instead we hobbled over.

When it was said after the first game that "Dublin's forwards must improve", there was only one player I was confident would improve and that was Dean Rock. Delighted for him, hard work pays off.

A couple of things Jim Gavin did that I strongly disagreed with, but they don't matter when you come out on the winning side.

Commiserations to Mayo. We were the better side this time, but you'll be back in the semi-final next year and again 2 games from glory. Won't be long coming.
I'd recommend you try and win the league. Silverware is great. Too many of the team has no national medals, and success breeds success.

screenexile

The real winning team . . . Not many amateurs amongst them I should imagine!!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: screenexile on October 04, 2016, 03:18:58 PM

The backroom staff could form their own football team plus full compliment of subs.

Thy Kingdom Come

Quote from: Hound on October 04, 2016, 02:56:12 PM
I thought Dublin defended brilliantly for the large part.

But a lot of our play with ball-in-hand was dreadful. It was as if our handpassing drills for the last 2 weeks were - "handpass 5 yards in front of him, and let him run onto it". So many unforced errors it was chronic, which when added to Mayo generally defending well led to just an average enough performance. We could have strolled over the line, instead we hobbled over.

When it was said after the first game that "Dublin's forwards must improve", there was only one player I was confident would improve and that was Dean Rock. Delighted for him, hard work pays off.

A couple of things Jim Gavin did that I strongly disagreed with, but they don't matter when you come out on the winning side.

Commiserations to Mayo. We were the better side this time, but you'll be back in the semi-final next year and again 2 games from glory. Won't be long coming.
I'd recommend you try and win the league. Silverware is great. Too many of the team has no national medals, and success breeds success.

Did Dublin win the League before 2011? Do you honestly think it would it have helped them if they had?

Fuzzman

Dublin's were much more defensive this year I thought but maybe that's because they met Donegal, Kerry and Mayo twice once they came out of Leinster. All those teams played with heavy blanket defence I thought and so that shows up why their forwards struggled so much from play this year.
Brogan scored 6.21 last year in 7 games. This year he only managed 1.10.
Rock scored 2.23 last year but this year he got 1.58.

The importance of a reliable free taker is very important in this new era of mass defensive systems where having a top elite forward doesn't matter so much any more as he will be marked out of it most often by the top teams. I think this is why Mayo were able to stay so close to Dublin as Cillian O'Connor could match their free taking ability for most of the game.

heffo

Quote from: screenexile on October 04, 2016, 03:18:58 PM

Still smaller than Mayo's - the only pro's are the Physio & S&C coach. Plus that's Jimmy Gavin Senior at the end of the front right row.

The Aristocrat

Proper order, wouldn't expect or accept anything less.

rosnarun

at the home coming some one i think rochford said the they were 50 people overall involved in the mayo senior team. Im presuming that includes player .
so both team would be of a similar size id record.
im sure the medics get a few bob as well
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere