All Ireland Final Replay 1st October 2016 Dublin vs Mayo

Started by Hereiam, September 21, 2016, 10:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

It is different, but be interesting to see one of them in the half forward line.

They were big misses , especially as it was in the last 10 minutes.

Blue Island

It seems there is no doubt asking the refs to use the black card with any consistency is virtually impossible. The contributors to this thread have had constant repeats to look at and two days to ponder over the decisions. Yet even now there is no consensus over many of the decisions. What hope does a ref have in real time.

Being a neutral, I thought when it came down to it the ref did not ultimately change the outcome of the game and did not seem partisan to any particular team. I also think if this was our hurling brethren discussing the game, there would hardly be a word said about the referee and more talk about what a brilliant spectacle the game was.

yellowcard

Who was the linesman on the Hogan Stand side of the field who failed to show Small the red that he deserved. Deegan flashed 2 yellows then put the card back into his pocket and lectured Small for a good 15 seconds before pulling out a yellow when everyone beside me presumed it would be a red. That was a match changing decision. Small was a very lucky boy on Saturday on a couple of occasions.

Jinxy

For me, Small wasn't throwing a punch at his opponent, he was trying to break the hold O'Connor had on his jersey (which seemed to be a deliberate ploy by Mayo players over the two games).
It goes without saying Small shouldn't have been on the pitch by that stage anyway.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fuzzman

Dublin have more top quality players scattered around their whole team and of course on their sub bench. To me this is why they are champions the last 2 years because in today's age of mass defensive systems where we see most of our top forwards struggle to win ball (as it is often no longer kicked into them) and even when they do get it they are surrounded in seconds by often 3 men. This is why we are seeing players like Connolly, Brogan, CoConnor & O'Shea, Gooch, O'Donoghue, Murphy & McBrearty, Sean Cavanagh etc all struggling to make such an impact on the games any more. Having a player like Rock who can score 8-12 points a game from frees (and from play) is a massive bonus and I think Kerry missed Sheehan for that this year and it will be interesting to see who replaces him.
The game has become so congested and space at a premium for forwards that often it's our midfielders and wing backs that are getting most of our scores from play.
I think Tyrone play Peter Harte purposely at wing back so he purposely can leave his man marking job and push forward knowing that someone else will mark his man for him like in the Ulster final with Ryan McHugh.
For Mayo some would say Keegan, Boyle and Durcan often kick more scores than their forwards.

In previous years we saw Dublin's forwards score lots of scores from play but not so much this year. Rock scored 9 of their total with only Costello's late surge of three from play showing any sort of attacking freedom.
In previous years Dublin would create so many goal chances but this year it was much less.
I think most AI finals that are tight need that little bit of something extra to get you over the line and as we have saw so often before Mayo are lacking in that area.

What was also interesting was that from all the excellent forwards in the Dublin team, it was Fitzsimmons and Small the last day who were man of the match. Two players who probably would not have started had Rory O'Carroll and Jack McCaffrey been there. Dublin's defence has certainly improved a lot from a few years ago and they certainly kicked the ball a lot less this year into their forward line.

moysider

Stories flying around Mayo today, if one cares to listen to them.
Like goalies only became aware of the switch the morning of the game.

Clarke isn't going back.

Rochford is considering his position.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rudi on October 03, 2016, 01:41:10 PM
Can the ref not look at a replay on the big screen, if he can't make his mind up in real time.
I think if he did all in Croke Park would see it too and there's be general mayhem.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

heffo

Quote from: moysider on October 03, 2016, 03:11:50 PM

I'd very much doubt that - he made one huge mistake but he won't do it again. I think he'll be a great manager for Mayo.

shawshank

Quote from: Blue Island on October 03, 2016, 02:06:08 PM

Being a neutral, I thought when it came down to it the ref did not ultimately change the outcome of the game

Are you serious, Keegan's was not a black card, Connelly was fouled, but then fell to the ground as a result of the foul, but that was never a black card,  the ref cost Mayo one of their most influential players. Small should have been gone before half time leaving Dublin with 14 players, and you think he did not change the outcome of the game. Here is a suggestion, are you a ref in disguise by any chance. I won't even mention Mc Carthys challenge on Vaughan, and please don't suggest it was an accident, not as much as spoken to.

yellowcard

Clarke isn't going back.

A sign that the silly season is underway again. I think what Mayo need now is stability not more mayhem. Marginal calls, that's the life of a manager and the need for a scapegoat is constant. Rochford appears to be the scapegoat this year, was assassinated by Brolly in yesterdays paper and he seems to be taking all the flak. It was a bold decision that backfired but it was only one of the reasons that Mayo failed to win the match. If Clarke had played there is no guarantee the result would have been any different since he had a few dodgy kickouts in the drawn match himself.  It must be haunting him now though for him to be considering his position.

Farrandeelin

Clarke isn't going back.

Hmmm. Can't honestly believe the management would be that bad to just tell them the morning of the match...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: yellowcard on October 03, 2016, 03:26:45 PM

Clarke isn't going back.

A sign that the silly season is underway again. I think what Mayo need now is stability not more mayhem. Marginal calls, that's the life of a manager and the need for a scapegoat is constant. Rochford appears to be the scapegoat this year, was assassinated by Brolly in yesterdays paper and he seems to be taking all the flak. It was a bold decision that backfired but it was only one of the reasons that Mayo failed to win the match. If Clarke had played there is no guarantee the result would have been any different since he had a few dodgy kickouts in the drawn match himself.  It must be haunting him now though for him to be considering his position.

Remember he was only given a one year gig.
I don't think neutrals understand how this is going to go down. Any Mayo fan I spoke to before game was dismayed but the switch.

Tubberman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 03, 2016, 03:33:10 PM

Clarke isn't going back.

Hmmm. Can't honestly believe the management would be that bad to just tell them the morning of the match...

The rumour was going around before that, so I doubt they only found out that morning. And Hennelly had been warming up towards end of drawn match, so seemed to be in management's mind since at least then.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

blanketattack

Anyone else think McCarthy's collision with Vaughan wasn't the complete accident the commentators made it out to be?

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: blanketattack on October 03, 2016, 03:50:17 PM
Anyone else think McCarthy's collision with Vaughan wasn't the complete accident the commentators made it out to be?

Yip, me an the oul fella looked at each other and laughed when Carney(?) stated it was two players committed to a tackle. Should ahve been a yellow to McCarthy.