All Ireland Final Replay 1st October 2016 Dublin vs Mayo

Started by Hereiam, September 21, 2016, 10:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on October 03, 2016, 06:46:50 AM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on October 03, 2016, 03:36:36 AM
The Keegan one can be debated, but the consensus before this had been that you has to drag a player all the way to the deck to be black carded. Ironically Dublin were one of the first teams to adopt the drag and release tackle to avoid getting black carded. They spent a lot of time working on this during training at the time.

The lack of consistency was when Connolly commited a similar round the neck challenge and escaped sanction. Deegan would have reduced Dublin to 14 men had he produced a card of any colour, since Connolly was already on a yellow. Underneath Hill 16 I think he bottled it. The.same goes for Mayo's penalty shout.

Did he also bottle sending Docherty off for taking Cooper out after the goal?
I know you're only throwing it out as a whataboutery strawman because you can't defend the Connolly non-card, but it the hit after the goal was yellow card territory.

Kurtz

Quote from: Canalman on October 03, 2016, 10:18:55 AM

Thought Cluxton was immense yesterday as he has been all season imo ( bar 10 mins in AISF) .

I was at that game
That was down to the Dublin backs not paying attention to the kickouts
As you say, there is no margin for error when playing this system but Dublin do it so well

The Aristocrat

Canal man, its now an 80 minute game. Its that simple.

I was also very annoyed at the extra 2 mins like the ref was letting them play on to see if they could engineer a point or free, if that ball wasn't turned over at the moment he would played on more.

Fuzzman

It is always gonna be a hard match to ref as both teams really don't like each other and know each other so well at this stage but you would expect the ref of his experience to at least show consistency. To miss the first foot trip by Small seemed amazing to me whereas I thought he did well to spot the Cooper one as it looked a lot more congested with bodies around.
Did anyone else notice that with Keegan's card that Connolly was going apeshite to get him sent off waving a card but you can see the ref shaking his head saying NO and shows a tug on his jersey. But then after a lot of walking around and thinking he eventually calls over Keegan and gives him the black card. It was as if he was waiting on a TMO or someone from the line to tell him. Personally I thought it was a yellow as he did have hands over Connolly but he didn't drag him down to the ground but Connolly was smart enough to go to ground once he knew Keegan's hands were on him. Keegan took it well and shrugged his shoulders and walked off without any complaints.

I was very disappointed with Aidan O'Shea again and can't understand he doesn't shoot more. The ball that he won to set up the goal was good but why didn't they use that much more.

Fair play to Mayo as they showed the rest of us Dublin aren't that far ahead of the pack and held a lot of Dublin's forwards to low scores. Dean Rock was back on form and that was the main difference in the teams I felt.

Farrandeelin

Small's non-black was more a black than Cooper's imo.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Jinxy

Quote from: Canalman on October 03, 2016, 10:18:55 AM
Firstly, hard luck to the Mayo posters on here.

Haven't seen any highlights of the game, but thought each and every one of our subs brought something to the table when they came on and for that the Manager must take great credit.

Thought Cluxton was immense yesterday as he has been all season imo ( bar 10 mins in AISF) . Have to say , I would not like to be in the Dublin full back line with those kick outs coming your way with no margin for errors. One of the very few  players who has changed the  role of a football position so much. Maybe Paul Curran as an attacking wing back, Brian Dooher/ Paul Galvin as the up and down the pitch wing forwards or Sean Cavanagh likewise as midfielder.

Didn't see the card or non card issues or replays but in real time from the Canal End the Keegan black card looked a definite one.

Have to say that I have a major issue with CP not showing replays on the screen of so called contentious issues. Fans have paid serious money to get in and imo deserve better. If a supporter or supporter get het up afterwards, then they can be ejected from the grounds. Why should the people watching at home get the benefit of replays only?

Will be very curious next year to see whether the 6 minutes additional time is added on in most games or just for AIFs. Very annoyed with the extra 2 minutes added on to the additional time at the end.

Anyway, congrats to the lads and once again hard luck to the Mayo posters here.

I would assume the reason for this is to give the refs a break instead of showing them their mistake in glorious technicolor while the fans bay for blood.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

blast05

Quote from: Fuzzman on October 03, 2016, 10:38:37 AM
Did anyone else notice that with Keegan's card that Connolly was going apeshite to get him sent off waving a card but you can see the ref shaking his head saying NO and shows a tug on his jersey. But then after a lot of walking around and thinking he eventually calls over Keegan and gives him the black card.

Yes, Deegan initially indicated that jersey was pulled (i.e.: he used one hand to simulate a jersey pull) ..... then Connolly got in on the act with a big whinge and when Deegan issued the black he indicated that it was for pulling down (i.e.: Deegan used to 2 hands to indicate a downward pulling motion).
Why and what changed his mind ? Answer is pretty clear

Kurtz

Quote from: blast05 on October 03, 2016, 10:54:16 AM
Did anyone else notice that with Keegan's card that Connolly was going apeshite to get him sent off waving a card but you can see the ref shaking his head saying NO and shows a tug on his jersey. But then after a lot of walking around and thinking he eventually calls over Keegan and gives him the black card.

Yes, Deegan initially indicated that jersey was pulled (i.e.: he used one hand to simulate a jersey pull) ..... then Connolly got in on the act with a big whinge and when Deegan issued the black he indicated that it was for pulling down (i.e.: Deegan used to 2 hands to indicate a downward pulling motion).

No Connolly acted up because hes been dragged around the place for the last two years by Keegan
live by the sword
Cillian OConnor should also stick to playing football he would be a better player

No wides

Great spot - think you are the only person saw that - well saw!!

Farrandeelin

Quote from: blast05 on October 03, 2016, 10:54:16 AM

Indeed. So much about remonstrating aggressively to an official part of the black card...

Before someone pulls me up and accuses me of sour grapes, well yes, they are as sour as hell. If you know me well enough you'll know that I do get rather het up over little decisions, especially since the margins Mayo lost by were so small.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

T Toatler

I did notice the 'jersey pull' sign at the time and I taut he was not getting a black. Yes Connolly was animated but no more so than many others, on both sides. For fans to say it wasn't a black with the benefit of replays highlights  that the ref has to make up his mind there and then. I have said before the ref tries to do the best he can and I believe Deegan did on Sunday but made some mistakes. That's sport and it's unfortunate. As a Dub I am quite happy to reiterate that Keegan was harshly done by.

The Aristocrat

I do agree with all that the black cards are a complete joke, its a very difficult rule to manage and is left to the interpretation of the referee and its not always clear cut either. quite difficult. Small and O Loughlin should have seen black by the rule book. Keegans was harsh as was McCarthy's the first day out.

It needs to be done away with immediately for the sake of the game.

Jinxy

Of the five 'cynical' offenses that are punishable by the black card, I would argue that it works very well for the 'deliberate body collide' (3rd man tackle) and the 'deliberate trip'.
The vast majority of the contentious decisions relate to the 'deliberate pull down' due to the nature of the tackle, which is very much open to interpretation; and it's rarely used to police verbal abuse or remonstrating with officials.
Maybe we need to give this a bit of thought to avoid a baby/bathwater situation.

westbound

Quote from: Jinxy on October 03, 2016, 11:30:27 AM
Of the five 'cynical' offenses that are punishable by the black card, I would argue that it works very well for the 'deliberate body collide' (3rd man tackle) and the 'deliberate trip'.
The vast majority of the contentious decisions relate to the 'deliberate pull down' due to the nature of the tackle, which is very much open to interpretation; and it's rarely used to police verbal abuse or remonstrating with officials.
Maybe we need to give this a bit of thought to avoid a baby/bathwater situation.

Very sensible comment.

Jinxy

Here is the Lee Keegan black card.

https://twitter.com/Sportstalkdotie/status/782258063302590464

Now, think back to the Sean Cavanagh tackle on Conor McManus which is the very definition of a 'deliberate pull down'.
Watch the Keegan incident and ignore him altogether.
Just watch Connolly.
He is not pulled down.
I'm not even all that sure he's being fouled, but the hand over the shoulder probably merits a free-in at most.
At no point does Keegan make contact with him below the shoulder.
How can you deliberately pull someone down without actually pulling them at any point?
Connolly goes to ground of his own volition.
So, again we come back to enforcement, and this was clearly an incorrect decision by Deegan.
Would the players have got onto Gough or Coldrick to the same extent looking for a black card?
I don't think so, but even if they did, I don't think it would sway their decision.