All Ireland Final Replay 1st October 2016 Dublin vs Mayo

Started by Hereiam, September 21, 2016, 10:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: gammysolo on November 06, 2016, 01:47:44 PM
Quote from: rrhf on October 01, 2016, 10:39:24 PM
The black card advocated by pundits has made a mockery of Gaelic football.
If I were the mayo manager I would be seriously considering withdrawing all interviews with RTE and the national papers next year. Speak to SKY and local mayo papers only, maybe that would focus RTE into looking into the quality of their pundits.
Regarding the all stars, I am finding th bitching form certain Dub social media sites quiet entertaining, the arrogance is amazing really. Personally I dont take much notice to the all stars, really couldnt care if we won any or not. Football is a team sport where the prize is given out in September.

'YE' didn't. ::)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

'I definitely missed it': All-Ireland final replay ref admits John Small should have been black carded against Mayo

Independent.ie Newsdesk Twitter
Email
Published
30/11/2016 | 20:50
Comments

Referee Maurice Deegan, who officiated this year's All-Ireland football final replay between Dublin and Mayo, has admitted that he should have black carded John Small early in the game.

Go To

The Dublin defender appeared to hand-trip Andy Moran in the opening exchanges, but Deegan opted not to issue a black card. He later gave black cards to Dublin's Jonny Cooper and to Mayo duo Lee Keegan and Robbie Hennelly.
Speaking to RTE Radio Sport this afternoon, Deegan admitted that Small should have joined the aforementioned trio in the stand, but escaped the sanctioned because the referee and is officiating team weren't certain of the offence.
"In my view, I'm happy that I got the three of them right," Deegan said of the Cooper, Keegan and Hennelly decisions.
"But I will say one thing, I definitely missed the black card that I should have got. That was in the first five minutes of the game.
"It was John Small on Andy Moran. 
"I wasn't 100% sure that I saw it. We were wired up. Obviously, when you come to Croke Park your umpires and everyone is wired up.
"I would have asked my linesman did he see it, and he said he didn't see it clearly. When you don't see it clearly – and especially from where I was standing, I couldn't see it clearly either – I asked the umpires and no one had seen it properly, they weren't 100% sure. 
Dublin went on to win the game by a single point to collect their second consecutive All-Ireland football title and their fourth in six seasons.

Fuzzman

With them all wired up I can't see why they can't be wired to another guy in front of a tv screen for matches that are in Croker. They don't need to officially go down the rugby TMO route yet but just let the ref talk to him like he does with the other officials. Likewise if he sees something that the ref missed then he can communicate it with the ref.
Lets face it most of us who have a problem with the refs performance in a game is because what we've saw on tv and so it would make his job a lot easier.

With the technology already all there why would they not choose to use it. They don't need to be stopping the match and asking for every decision but it would be a HUGE help to the refs for some of this hard decisions like black card offences and dives etc. A lot of the wrong calls with black cards could have been avoided if there was an official at a tv screen.

larryin89

I admire deegan for admitting he missed it.

I long for the day cormac fookn reilly answers one simple question .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Dubhaltach

He wasn't 100% sure ::) How could he have been 100% sure that Keegan's was a black? Most people who have watched it back a few times disagree. Nonsense...cover for letting himself be influenced.

From the Bunker

Quote from: larryin89 on December 01, 2016, 06:20:46 PM
I admire deegan for admitting he missed it.

I long for the day cormac fookn reilly answers one simple question .

One Question? Jez, that lad would think he was on MasterMind all the questions he'd have to Answer! :P

Syferus

He didn't make Head Coaches O'Shea and O'Connor run in into each other like a Laurel and Hardy skit, lads.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on December 01, 2016, 08:32:00 PM
He didn't make Head Coaches O'Shea and O'Connor run in into each other like a Laurel and Hardy skit, lads.

Seem to remember him doing ye're crowd over in 2015 v Fermanagh.

The (farcical) penalty decision of course had nothing to do with the result!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnL9U1dkPjc

larryin89

What a stupid thing ro say. To put an accidental  collision of two teammates into some form of joke as if they were to blame somehow.

Joke is on you and your county ! Laughing out loud since 2001 i am.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 01, 2016, 08:54:22 PM

Sure he took a point away from us as a lineman v. Sligo last year too. But he wasn't the reason we lost either game.

I was down near the pitch that day in Limerick and the bumbling collision between your best midfielder and best free-taker happened right in front of me, it took both out of the game for most intents and purposes. Even with Reilly if that hadn't happened you would likely have won.

moysider

That's just silly. Players get injured incidentally in games. Sometimes against opponents, sometimes against teammates. That's the nature of a contact sport. However, referees' calls are a completely different animal altogether.

I don't buy Deegan's review. Looking at it live Small's was the probably the most clear cut black of the day. I suspect that neither Deegan or any of his wing men wanted to make the hard call after a few minutes in an AI final and send a player off. They bottled it. That's human nature I suppose. Later when things het up a bit they were not slow making up their minds.

After Reilly, Bannon and McEneaney, this sort of thing is hard to take. I know I am paranoid but I still think they are out to get us.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

larryin89

Top five! Aye good man jinxy. Tis the only top 5 the royals have so.

A simple question , he awarded a penalty , so he seen enright foul. What follows?

Zulu

As I recall Cormac Reilly reffed the Mayo Kerry game very well and rightly left left the two teams get stuck into each other. Too many football fans are far too quick to complain about referees and we should be encouraging them to allow the physicality back into football.

gammysolo

Quote from: Syferus on December 01, 2016, 09:50:26 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on December 01, 2016, 08:54:22 PM

Sure he took a point away from us as a lineman v. Sligo last year too. But he wasn't the reason we lost either game.

I was down near the pitch that day in Limerick and the bumbling collision between your best midfielder and best free-taker happened right in front of me, it took both out of the game for most intents and purposes. Even with Reilly if that hadn't happened you would likely have won.

That was just crazy. A blatant point. Rightfully removed from referee panel this year.