Francie Bellew Out for the Season

Started by sunny, May 03, 2007, 01:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realredhandfan

Why wear blades then?  Does anybody have a theory as to why the cruciate ligament goes more in Gaelic games than in other ball sports soccor etc.  Training / equipment must be wrong, its now almost the done thing to do the cruciate during a playing career,  its too frequent and far too dangerous an injury to ignore, it really does f**k up a knee.

gander

Francie definitley doesn't wear blades, he wears Puma Kings mouldies.  Croke Park wont even let players wear blades on the pitch.  I think the reason we're seeing so many of these injuries is the fact that the players are training like professionals but haven't got any recovery time, they're back to work the next day.

laughinpaddy

imo, I think that the cruciate tends to suffer more in the GAA than other sports boils down to two main thinks;
Firstly, I think there is an over emphasis placed on upper-body training, particularly where county football is concerned.  Many players spend gym time lifting weights for their shoulders, arms, backs and torso's and not enough on the legs, therefore creating an uneven balance of muscle, which places the knees under greater strain.
Secondly, I believe that, physio that players recive for minor/major ailments are nowhere near adequate for the type of training they do. an average club team train 2/3 times a week add to this a match at the weekends, this places great burden on the body, and more often than not a rub down after training/match is not provided, as the GAA do not place much emphasis on physio.  Most AGM's that I have attended complain about physio bills, is it any wonder when a player has to beg to recieve it!!
I ain't gettin on no plane!

Uladh

Quote from: realredhandfan on May 03, 2007, 01:34:20 PM
If he is perpared to sacrifice his own game for the good of Armagh football all due credit to him but does that even look likely at the moment.

How would you possibly know what does or doesn't look likely?

realredhandfan

How would you possibly know what does or doesn't look likely?
sorry uladh i missed out a question mark.  Question? not statement!

his holiness nb

I wore blades for a few years and had horrible ankle trouble.
When I finally realised it may be the blades I switched in Jan and have had no problems with the ankles since.

Instead I went out sunday and broke my arm!  :-[
Ask me holy bollix

SuperDooperCooper

Sad news - nobody wants to see any player miss the championship and what a time to do it just two weeks before the throw in.
Was looking forward to Donaghy v Francie 2 this summer - shame really.
Hopefully we will see Francie in an Armagh shirt again next year.
What age is Francie?

Rufus T Firefly

Back in late April, I wrote

Bad news babies - I'm hearing from a very reliable source (of mine) some very bad news about Francis, i.e. cruciate ligament damage, ruling him out for the year!  This as a result of last week's match against Clans.  :'(

Anybody else hear anything? Huge blow if true!!  :'(

In response, Bensars wrote

Quote from: Bensars on April 25, 2007, 04:10:43 PM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on April 20, 2007, 10:13:17 PM
Bad news babies - I'm hearing from a very reliable source (of mine) some very bad news about Francis, i.e. cruciate ligament damage, ruling him out for the year!  This as a result of last week's match against Clans.  :'(

;D ;D ;D  Reliable  my arse. Not even his knee !!!      

Now a thread started to day has announced that Francie indeed has cruciate trouble, and Bensars has written

Quote from: Bensars on May 03, 2007, 01:28:31 PM
As a tyrone man i have come to respect francie a lot. Wish him a speedy recovery ! ( well after sept anyway)

That will be a gaping hole in the armagh defence. La manga wont fill that hole !!

Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me does that make Bensars an arse?  ::)

reddgnhand

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 03, 2007, 09:20:16 PM

Now a thread started to day has announced that Francie indeed has cruciate trouble, and Bensars has written

As a tyrone man i have come to respect francie a lot. Wish him a speedy recovery ! ( well after sept anyway)

That will be a gaping hole in the armagh defence. La manga wont fill that hole !!

Rufus

It was reported with quotes(25/04/07) from Big Joe that he had an ankle injury.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: reddgnhand on May 03, 2007, 11:42:38 PM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 03, 2007, 09:20:16 PM

Rufus

It was reported with quotes(25/04/07) from Big Joe that he had an ankle injury.

And?

5 Sams

QuoteJust heard on Radio Ulster that Francie will be out for eight months.

That'll give the thug enough time to go to Casement and gather up Mickey's teeth and return them. Tough..OK....Hard....maybe...Fair ....my arse......it's only a month since he tried to take the Gooch's head off along with that kn**ker Donaldson...take the rose tinted glasses off lads....the twins were AS tough and no dirt in them.
The Aristocrat Years

say nothin

Quote from: 5 Sams on May 04, 2007, 01:02:59 AM
QuoteJust heard on Radio Ulster that Francie will be out for eight months.

That'll give the thug enough time to go to Casement and gather up Mickey's teeth and return them. Tough..OK....Hard....maybe...Fair ....my arse......it's only a month since he tried to take the Gooch's head off along with that kn**ker Donaldson...take the rose tinted glasses off lads....the twins were AS tough and no dirt in them.

Grimleys :P

mannix

He was ok but is now finished, a bit like armaghs chances.Big Joe should have left when it was time,i.e, last summer after kerry gutted armagh.How could he raise morale after that.
New manager and the u21 lads to come through in time and prayer,  but i think the last outfit are finished, donegal will tell a tale.
Even at their best armagh scraped an allireland.

Orchard Warrior

Only one of armagh's 4 cruciate victims wore blades, and not even all the time.

thebandit

This is awful news. Best of luck to Francie, I know he was planning to go to Australia for a month or so and had to cancel because of the All Ireland club final replay. Hopefully this isn't the last we see of him in the county jersey.