Francie Bellew Out for the Season

Started by sunny, May 03, 2007, 01:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunny

Just heard on Radio Ulster that Francie will be out for eight months.
Any thoughts on the impact this will have on Armagh?

realredhandfan

Sad news for Francie and wish him all the best.  Mc geeney has a moral responsibilty to move back into number 3. 

Bensars

As a tyrone man i have come to respect francie a lot. Wish him a speedy recovery ! ( well after sept anyway)

That will be a gaping hole in the armagh defence. La manga wont fill that hole !!

Spiritof98

Armagh full-back Francie Bellew has been ruled out of this year's Bank of Ireland Football Championship.
Scans have revealed that Bellew suffered a ruptured cruciate ligament in a recent club game and he is certain to be out for several months.

It's a massive injury blow for Armagh who are already currently without Ronan Clarke, Brian Mallon and JP Donnelly.

Despite the injury, Joe Kernan is said to be optimistic that Bellew will return to the intercounty game.

The tough Armagh defender has been a tremendous servant for club and county.

He has regularly played through the pain barrier for both Crossmaglen and Armagh but this serious injury makes a long spell on the sidelines inevitable.

The Armagh squad are currently five-day training camp in La Manga.

Armagh face Donegal in their Ulster Championship opener at Ballybofey on 27 March.

Ulster officials are said to be happy that the Ballybofey ground will be ready for the game.

Provincial secretary Danny Murphy and Ulster president Tom Daly held a meeting with Donegal officials to discuss the ongoing development earlier this week.

"Arising from the visit, there was agreement on the full schedule of works to be undertaken, and the immediate requirements will be completed in advance of the Donegal v Armagh championship game on 27 May," said Danny Murphy.

I'll go back if Marsdens back

realredhandfan

Besars I think you have missed a key point there.  Ill always give Moynihan great credit for the way he plugged the gap in the kerry full back line.  He was apha major / key man/ playmaker / up to that, he sacrificed his own game for all ireland medals for Kerry and brought them from desperation to champions.  Is it now high time that Mc geeny stopped playing a position he has created himself and unselfishley moved back not just for himself but for the sake of all the applemunchers.  If he is perpared to sacrifice his own game for the good of Armagh football all due credit to him but does that even look likely at the moment.

Will Hunting

So that's Armagh and Tyrone both without full-backs for the coming season. With this key area obviously a problem for both, this could be the year for a new (different) name on the Anglo-Celt Cup.

realredhandfan

its a finely thought out point will but at the moment their 2 biggest rivals are without their full forwards, Devenney and Bradley.  Will this be the firast year ever of a 14 a side Ulster championship.

Goats Do Shave

realredhandfan

Its called leading from the rear, it can be an unpleasant position to be in but Mc geeneys capable of doing it.  I think its worth a shot.

Kerry Mike

A big blow for Armagh and for the man himself, hope we see him back in action before too long.

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

realredhandfan

To be serious and back to the original thread.  Why are there so many fucked up knee injuries in GAelic football at the moment comapred to say 8 - 10 years ago.

Will Hunting

I
Quote from: realredhandfan on May 03, 2007, 01:57:00 PM
its a finely thought out point will but at the moment their 2 biggest rivals are without their full forwards, Devenney and Bradley.  Will this be the firast year ever of a 14 a side Ulster championship.
Well, Derry can always play Enda Muldoon at full-forward so I wouldn't worry about that, and Donegal have the ability to play McFadden, Sweeney, Hegarty, Toye in the forwards so they have ample cover as well. Tyrone and Armagh don't seem to have any ready-mades for the full-back position, this despite of Tyrone's huge "reservoir of talent". 

14-a-side would make a welcome change alright, considering the games usually end up 13-a-side or even less  ;)

bennydorano

McGeeney at FB is defintely worth experimenting with although time is a bit short, Ciaran Toner is a more likely option.

Estimator

Ulster League Champions 2009

Passing_Interest

Lads, lads, lads,
Cruciate knee ligament ? Francie ? .........Hie'll be back in 10 days !!
Nothing but the same old story.........