All-Ireland Final, September 18th, 2016 - Dublin v Mayo

Started by IolarCoisCuain, August 28, 2016, 07:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 19, 2016, 10:21:42 AM
The consensus of opinion from this discussion would suggest that Mayo will be at unbackable odds to win the replay.
Ah yeah, every 2nd post here is about how Mayo will hammer Dublin the next day.

criostlinn

Quote from: Fuzzman on September 19, 2016, 10:27:33 AM
Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on September 19, 2016, 09:05:27 AM
What went on at the tunnel comrades ??? was in the loo in the cusack at the time

Heard on the radio (I think it was Today FM) this morning that Mayo were meant to come out first but they delayed so they came out the same time as the Dubs and there were shouldering and handbags but not sure to what extent.

Did it look like both teams come out at the one time?
What was the story on the Hill? Were Mayo fans ushered to that corner or could you go where you wanted? Was there any hassle on the Hill?

IMHO, Mayo's tigerish tackling along with the rain seemed to knock Dublin's shooting and passing confidence. Rock was having a very high success rate all year but yesterday it all fell apart for him. I saw Dermo C in Harry Byrnes pub last night looking very relaxed.
Does the banquet get cancelled after a draw?

According to the program Dublin were meant to come out first at 2.56pm. Well after 3pm when they came out. It seems they were trying a bit of the auld mind games

criostlinn

So when people excuse Connolly's behaviour on a football pitch by saying Keegan was at him, what does this actually mean. What exactly is Keegan at and if its something so bad how come we never see any footage or pictures of it. There is video's and pictures of Connolly punching and fish hooking Keegan  and the worse we see from Keegan is him holding his jersey during this tussle.

People making these excuses would want to look at other battles around the pitch and they may realise the loose canon Connolly is. Was the marking of Keegan on Connolly any worse then Coopers marking of Andy Moran. How did Andy Moran react.

Hound

As Joe Brolly said on the Sunday Game, it's one of the most amazing coincidences of gaelic football, how so many of Lee Keegan's opponents get yellow carded for wrestling. What does poor Lee do I wonder to attract such behaviour?

yellowcard

Quote from: criostlinn on September 19, 2016, 10:40:27 AM
So when people excuse Connolly's behaviour on a football pitch by saying Keegan was at him, what does this actually mean. What exactly is Keegan at and if its something so bad how come we never see any footage or pictures of it. There is video's and pictures of Connolly punching and fish hooking Keegan  and the worse we see from Keegan is him holding his jersey during this tussle.

People making these excuses would want to look at other battles around the pitch and they may realise the loose canon Connolly is. Was the marking of Keegan on Connolly any worse then Coopers marking of Andy Moran. How did Andy Moran react.

Keegan definitely seems to have the number of Connolly. It can't be a co-incidence that he has never really performed against Mayo and it's just pure frustration from Connolly.

AZOffaly

Quote from: criostlinn on September 19, 2016, 10:33:57 AM
Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on September 19, 2016, 09:05:27 AM
What went on at the tunnel comrades ??? was in the loo in the cusack at the time

Heard on the radio (I think it was Today FM) this morning that Mayo were meant to come out first but they delayed so they came out the same time as the Dubs and there were shouldering and handbags but not sure to what extent.

What was the story on the Hill? Were Mayo fans ushered to that corner or could you go where you wanted? Was there any hassle on the Hill?

IMHO, Mayo's tigerish tackling along with the rain seemed to knock Dublin's shooting and passing confidence. Rock was having a very high success rate all year but yesterday it all fell apart for him. I saw Dermo C in Harry Byrnes pub last night looking very relaxed.
Does the banquet get cancelled after a draw?

According to the program Dublin were meant to come out first at 2.56pm. Well after 3pm when they came out. It seems they were trying a bit of the auld mind games

That's what I thought too.

criostlinn

Quote from: Hound on September 19, 2016, 10:44:19 AM
As Joe Brolly said on the Sunday Game, it's one of the most amazing coincidences of gaelic football, how so many of Lee Keegan's opponents get yellow carded for wrestling. What does poor Lee do I wonder to attract such behaviour?

Thats what Im asking. The Keegan / Connolly battle was hyped up all week. Im sure there were many camera lenses on them all game. So what did Keegan do to deserve getting fish hooked and punched twice in the face. And as for Brolly's comments, he could as easily have said the same thing about Connolly

imtommygunn

Quote from: Hound on September 19, 2016, 10:44:19 AM

Yet when it came down to it Connolly was the instigator and should very possibly have seen red. He was at it against McHugh in Donegal game too.

Keegan I'm sure has a part to play but the unfortunate part of being a star forward is that you will get attention and you will need to deal with it within the rules. Keegan isn't the first and won't be the last to be at that kind of thing.

seafoid

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 19, 2016, 10:11:19 AM
4 All Ireland finals in 5 years and Dublin have won them by and aggregate score of 5 points. Undoubtedly they've been the top team for a while, but how far they're in front of the chasing pack gets wildly exaggerated. Much of this is out of Dublin's control and is a by-product of the generally negative analysis of the overall championship.
Jim Gavin may actually find this draw a blessing, as for first time he has a real mandate to bench under performers like Brogan or Flynn who might well be over the hill. Much of his supposed ruthlessness has involved fringe players.

You'd still say Dublin are most likely to win the replay, but I don't believe there is an easy extra gear they can click into.
Mayo have still plenty to play for. For a bunch of bottlers, they calmly reeled in a 3 point deficit without panicking and desperately going looking for goal.
Mayo should have won at least one of those All Irelands. I also think it's very hard to win Sams back to back these days.

ballinaman

Still digesting the game. Mixed emotions to be honest, the own goals were crazy but didn't come out of thin air either.

Favourites tend to win replays when 1 team are complete outsiders...don't think there is much between the teams TBH however so it's up for grabs big time.

Dublin are winged big time with Connolly taken out of the game. John Small was excellent, burned O Shea for his point late on.

Kilkenny had chance to kill the game late on with clear shot for a point, thought that was worse than Connolly going for the superstar sideline point.

Harrison, Paddy Durcan and Vaughan were pick of Mayo bunch for me.

The 6 days turnaround hurt us last year so the 13 days are most welcome.

yellowcard

Small has been excellent all season, used to think he was limited going forward but he has improved this aspect of his game. Deserved MOTM.

macdanger2

No hassle on the hill where we were anyway. No segregation either although it must have looked that way as a few people mentioned that afterwards.

Fuzzman

I noticed some mayo people scattered around the hill as usual but there seemed to be a large section of Mayo fans all in the corner with a line of stewards in yellow bibs standing in the gangway as if to keep them in there. Then down at the bottom there was a huge number of stewards standing down there. It looked like they were expecting trouble.

The Trap

laoislad

Quote from: Fuzzman on September 19, 2016, 11:43:50 AM
I noticed some mayo people scattered around the hill as usual but there seemed to be a large section of Mayo fans all in the corner with a line of stewards in yellow bibs standing in the gangway as if to keep them in there. Then down at the bottom there was a huge number of stewards standing down there. It looked like they were expecting trouble.
They were all there just to hold this fella back...

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.