All-Ireland Final, September 18th, 2016 - Dublin v Mayo

Started by IolarCoisCuain, August 28, 2016, 07:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: yellowcard on September 16, 2016, 10:12:59 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 16, 2016, 10:03:40 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on September 16, 2016, 09:35:29 PM
Listened to all the previews so far and not one person has tipped Mayo yet. Aidan O'Se give an interview and admitted that Mayo are past their peak and that 2014 was the big chance blown for this team. Its not an unreasonable analysis but nonetheless it strange coming from one of the players on the week of the AI final.

Why would anyone give Mayo a chance anyway?

I've seen people on here predicting a Mayo win and I've seen polls (yes they are ludicrous I know) that showed an almost equal split. The Dubs are 26 games unbeaten, Mayo have average form all season so based on what we know there is no logical reason why Mayo can win.

The logic would be based on Mayo scoring more than Dublin. ;)

Anyway who says logic has anything to do with it?
Ever hear of bad weather, good weather, off days, good days, team's clicking, teams falling apart, inspiration, lucky goals, great saves, mistakes, bad decisions, post post post, cards, injuries, breaking ball, inches..,

All these things can turn a  game on its head so if you want to talk about the logic of the result you'll have to factor every single one of the millions of senarios that might happen their result and effect on all the other millions of factors and then conclude that no matter how any of these senarios play out Dublin will win.

Yeah I know you cant do that, no one can. Mayo have a decent side, maybe not as accomplished as Dublin but they aren't that far away and anything can happen on the day.

Bottom line is even if previous events say its more likely that Dublin will win they also say that its entirely plausible for Mayo to win it.

Gowan Mayo, I believe your time has come... hope you do to

Chimley

Quote from: trileacman on September 16, 2016, 10:09:52 PM
I'm not being a smartarse but do Mayo fans still believe after all these years of defeat? I mean at some point do you not just abandon hope because the pain is just too much to take. I've watched my club and county get beaten and swore I'd never be fit to put my heart and soul behind them again.

Minds me of that ROG interview where he says he can't do it anymore.

Every dog will have its day and it's not how many times that you get knocked down that defines you. It's how many times that you get back up.

There will come a day when Mayo will win Sam in Croke Park and there's no reason why it can't happen on Sunday.

Syferus

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 16, 2016, 11:23:46 PM
Listened to all the previews so far and not one person has tipped Mayo yet. Aidan O'Se give an interview and admitted that Mayo are past their peak and that 2014 was the big chance blown for this team. Its not an unreasonable analysis but nonetheless it strange coming from one of the players on the week of the AI final.

I've seen people on here predicting a Mayo win and I've seen polls (yes they are ludicrous I know) that showed an almost equal split. The Dubs are 26 games unbeaten, Mayo have average form all season so based on what we know there is no logical reason why Mayo can win.

Ever hear of bad weather, good weather, off days, good days, team's clicking, teams falling apart, inspiration, lucky goals, great saves, mistakes, bad decisions, post post post, cards, injuries, breaking ball, inches..,

All these things can turn a  game on its head so if you want to talk about the logic of the result you'll have to factor every single one of the millions of senarios that might happen their result and effect on all the other millions of factors and then conclude that no matter how any of these senarios play out Dublin will win.

Yeah I know you cant do that, no one can. Mayo have a decent side, maybe not as accomplished as Dublin but they aren't that far away and anything can happen on the day.

Bottom line is even if previous events say its more likely that Dublin will win they also say that its entirely plausible for Mayo to win it.

There's nothing entirely plausible about suggesting Mayo win an AI final.

ballinaman

I'm not being a smartarse but do Mayo fans still believe after all these years of defeat? I mean at some point do you not just abandon hope because the pain is just too much to take. I've watched my club and county get beaten and swore I'd never be fit to put my heart and soul behind them again.

A Mayo persons psyche is a complex entity at this stage...mostly stubbornness. It's like waiting for a bus for ages, you wait so long that you say fcuk it, have to commit now.....

omaghjoe

Quote from: Syferus on September 16, 2016, 11:35:15 PM

Its much more plausible that Roscommon getting to one

Chimley

Quote from: Syferus on September 16, 2016, 11:35:15 PM

Except that we've won an AI final already this year, so there's that.

ONeill

If every Mayo player punched their Dublin player full force in the face just as the ref throws the ball up, I think they'd get away with a telling off. That would be my tactic.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Crete Boom

Quote from: ONeill on September 16, 2016, 11:47:19 PM
If every Mayo player punched their Dublin player full force in the face just as the ref throws the ball up, I think they'd get away with a telling off. That would be my tactic.

Would it not be the old yellow each for the Dubs and Mayo players? ;D

yellowcard

On the subject of weather, I see it is giving rain for Sunday. Hope springs eternal for Mayo, that could be a leveller.

Lar Naparka

The answer in short is no and we will abandon nothing whatever at any point.
We haven't done so yet and Hell can fecking freeze over before Mayo fans will give up on their team.
All I will ever ask of them is that they give it their best shot and if that's not enough, I know they will be back next year.
I don't look for nor welcome any sympathy from anyone and I'm acutely aware that at least 30 other counties would dearly love to be where we will be on Sunday next. I ignore shit about Mayo's lack of mental toughness and the likes- it takes a team with immense resolve to keep coming back year upon year and sooner or later, we will crack it.
I'm proud to be a Mayo man and I'm proud of the team that represents us. Frig the begrudgers and bring on the Dubs! ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Or give them a running kick up the hole before throw-in like Paudí did Joe McNally in '84.

yellowcard

That is the best tactic I've seen put forward yet.  ;D

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Lar Naparka

Ya mean that we should take a leaf outa Mickey's book and adopt the tactics that made Tyrone what it is today? ;D ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi