All-Ireland Final, September 18th, 2016 - Dublin v Mayo

Started by IolarCoisCuain, August 28, 2016, 07:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Have a very bad feeling about Sunday. Nothing between the teams last year. Mayo have improved and Dublin slightly weaker.

Mayo couldn't have sat down this January and scripted a better way to go into an AIF.

Every newspaper article says "nobody is giving Mayo a chance" only then to give them every chance of winning on Sunday.

imtommygunn

On what basis do you way Mayo have improved? Sunday is the only time we will be able to tell that I think but so far nothing to suggest they've improved.

galwayman

It's funny Mayo haven't really played all that well in any of their games this year (even against Tyrone) but still make the final.
All other years that they've made the final they have played well in the lead up to it especially in 2013 where they were brilliant in the lead up.
It's stating the obvious to say that if they play as they have up to now this year then Dublin will win.
They surely have one big performance in them this year though? And when better than All-Ireland final day to produce it.
They have a massive chance.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 15, 2016, 11:37:37 AM
On what basis do you way Mayo have improved? Sunday is the only time we will be able to tell that I think but so far nothing to suggest they've improved.
They got past the semi final. Players have more experience. They got over the Galway loss.

Denn Forever

Hope Mayo do  a Tipp on Sunday but it's hard to see Dublin imploding like Kilkenny did.  But it's a 2 horse race so anything thing is possible.

My other hope is we don't see Diarmuid Connaly  or any one else being targeted (don't know the Mayo players) in the hope they get carded.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Canalman

Beat a much touted Tyrone team in a very thorough  manner. Cantered past Tipperary who had beaten Cork and hammered Galway.

Not the Ealing Comedy manner of getting to an AIF that many would lead you to believe.

This has a Donegal 1992 written all over it.

Maroon Manc

I can understand the comparisons with the game in 92 but this Dublin team are going for their 4th AI in 6 years, that Dublin team hadn't even made a final never mind win it.

Mayo have been poor in comparison to previous years but have still managed to make the final, play like they have done since the start of the league and they'll be beaten but if they can step up a level they have a great chance.

The Aristocrat

Mayo by 3 points with a good helping hand from the referee and the GAA.

Tubberman

Quote from: The Aristocrat on September 15, 2016, 12:51:31 PM

Lol, yeah.... that's likely to happen!! Mayo always getting favouritism from officialdom! Jaysus....
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

sid waddell

Theory: The best place for Mayo to be with 10 minutes left is having to make up a small points deficit, ie 1 or 2.

Based on the theories that:
i) Dublin tend to look more vulnerable defending a lead (Mayo 2013, Mayo 2015 (draw), Kerry 2015, Donegal 2016) than coming from behind when their momentum is almost impossible to stop (Kerry 2011, Kerry 2013, Mayo 2015 (replay) and Kerry 2016)
ii) When a team gets a bit of momentum against Dublin, Dublin can have a serious meltdown for at least 10-15 minutes in a game (Mayo 2012, Kerry 2013, Donegal 2014, Mayo 2015 (draw), Kerry 2016)
iii) Mayo are not good at defending a lead (Dublin 2012, Kerry 2014 (draw and replay), Dublin 2015 (replay))
iv) Momentum in the last 10 minutes could tip the balance of the result in a close final (Armagh 2002, Tyrone 2008, Cork 2010, Dublin 2011).

The Hill is Blue

Of course Mayo can win on Sunday but they will need to blot out any of the negative thoughts about previous years that are bound to be filling their heads. Their big danger is that if their carefully planned strategies and "surprise" tactics don't seem to be working and they find themselves chasing the game will they succumb to the paralysis of "here we go again".

That's the big question.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Hound

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 15, 2016, 01:14:09 PM

Of course Mayo can win on Sunday but they will need to blot out any of the negative thoughts about previous years that are bound to be filling their heads. Their big danger is that if their carefully planned strategies and "surprise" tactics don't seem to be working and they find themselves chasing the game will they succumb to the paralysis of "here we go again".

That's the big question.
I don't agree with that. Dublin have never beaten Mayo out the gate in championship. If it was Kerry who built up a lead in a final v Mayo, then perhaps a "here we go again" vibe might have arisen, but not with the Dubs. Last year both games were on a knife edge and in the 2013 final, when Dublin looked like they could win going away, Mayo dug deep and clawed it back to 1 point (and if that had been under the new rules where a proper amount of injury time is played, then they most probably would have dug out a draw too.)

If Dublin win, it'll be because we are the better team on the day, not because of any psychological stuff (and vice versa)

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Canalman on September 15, 2016, 12:03:45 PM

Beat a much touted Tyrone team in a very thorough  manner. Cantered past Tipperary who had beaten Cork and hammered Galway.

Not sure I'd agree with that synopsis of those games. Did they beat Tyrone in a very thorough manner? Tyrone missed about 4 good chances towards the end to draw or even sneak a win in that game. Yes they beat Tipp by 5 but Tipp were on top for long spells in the game and really it was a purple patch just before half-time that was the difference in the end. Plus a rather jammy goal near the end. I mean a win is a win in the end and the Tyrone one especially was a good one as Tyrone were well fancied beforehand but it was still nip and tuck all the way.

sid waddell

Mayo beat Tyrone in a "very thorough manner" in the same way that Russian beat Michael Conlan in a very thorough manner.

seafoid

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 15, 2016, 01:28:45 PM
Quote from: Canalman on September 15, 2016, 12:03:45 PM

Not sure I'd agree with that synopsis of those games. Did they beat Tyrone in a very thorough manner? Tyrone missed about 4 good chances towards the end to draw or even sneak a win in that game. Yes they beat Tipp by 5 but Tipp were on top for long spells in the game and really it was a purple patch just before half-time that was the difference in the end. Plus a rather jammy goal near the end. I mean a win is a win in the end and the Tyrone one especially was a good one as Tyrone were well fancied beforehand but it was still nip and tuck all the way.
My impression is that Mayo aimed to peak for now this year. They were off the pace in June whereas in previous years they would have come out all guns blazing. They had a gradual progression through the qualifiers, efficient but not flashy. They beat Tyrone who fancied themselves. So far so good. They had 2 moral victories in 2014 and 2015. It's time to do it.