Mayo

Started by ONeill, August 21, 2016, 11:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: moysider on August 23, 2016, 01:12:28 PM
Quote from: iorras on August 23, 2016, 12:33:42 PM
Its a funny one, Mayo seem to play at whatever level the opposition play at. As we're going the road of historical comparisons, this year reminds me of Tyrone 2008.
back door, beat that years curiosity shop wonders Wexford in the semi by 6 points (I think) without scoring a goal. They sailed ahead in the first half, Wexford got it back to 2 or 3 in the second half with a goal and Tyrone upped it again to close it out. All the plaudits were for Wexford afterwards although they never did a whole lot after that really.
Then in the final, without Peter Canavan who retired in 2005, they stifled 3 in a row seeking Kerry, it was an exciting game from a tension and tactics point of view, but was probably poor enough on quality. Tyrone didn't care, nor should they have.
Tyrone got some respect from the pundits and the bookies in the build up, as they had 2 Sams already, mayo wont get that, but that's understandable. But Kerry were fairly warm favourites.
having said that, Tyrone had a bit of a hex over Kerry in those times so I think that helped as well, which mayo don't have. Tyrone had no fear about Kerry and it wound the Kerry boys up no end that they couldn't get to grips with that Tyrone team. This Mayo team don't fear Kerry or Dublin, but Kerry would be walking an inch taller facing Mayo in a final rather than Tyrone. As many of the Kingdom dwellers said before the 2006 final, "Mayo, sure we can post that one in". They weren't wrong then, they would be now but they'll be busting to beat the Dubs on Sunday for many reasons, but one of the main ones will be they will believe that they have essentially won Sam if they beat Dublin.
Here ends the random stream of consciousness
I think most people - including most Mayo, myself included iih - think next Sunday semi is the final.

I don't think so, Mayo should hold no fear of Dublin, who in my view were better last year when Mayo really should have put them to the sword. A more battle hardened Mayo team will be hard to beat. Kerry have no chance of beating Dublin next week so I wouldn't even worry about that.
That was never a square ball!!

Captain Scarlet

What do we make of the potential club action that was agreed to be played this weekend. Now it seems there is a bit of rethinking going on...
Ger Cafferky on Twitter saying it's not fair as it would mean the guys have their focus and prep effected.

Just bothers me how easy it is to use this focus excuse:
Don't talk to media - FOCUS!
Don't go out in public - FOCUS!

If they are that easily put off what hope have they winning an All Ireland?! Slightly off topic but it bothers me when I hear all this shite.
Now Mayo have a sideshow either way as there seems to be a lot of natter with Mayo folk online about it.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

iorras

this nonsense about the club games this week would want to get sorted out fairly quick though before the national media pick up on it and it becomes a side show.
Ger Caff on twitter adding his spake to say call them off

moysider

The county board should have come out and made a statement postponing the games as soon as possible after semi was won. Then there would be no sideshow or natter. The AI final is the only show in town now.

iorras

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on August 23, 2016, 02:15:30 PM
What do we make of the potential club action that was agreed to be played this weekend. Now it seems there is a bit of rethinking going on...
Ger Cafferky on Twitter saying it's not fair as it would mean the guys have their focus and prep effected.

If they are that easily put off what hope have they winning an All Ireland?! Slightly off topic but it bothers me when I hear all this shite.
Now Mayo have a sideshow either way as there seems to be a lot of natter with Mayo folk online about it.
Your either misunderstanding or misinterpreting what hes saying, with focus he is referring to training cycles. This should be a recovery week for Mayo, if they are going out playing club ball this weekend and focusing on that,  then that is a change in focus and some recovery has to take place next week when it should be the start of a three week hard training cycle heading to an all Ireland. It cant be that if they are recovering from a match. Monday is then a recovery session.

iorras

Some who are closer to it than myself would say the county board would nearly prefer to lose another all Ireland then have their authority undermined once again. Maybe that is not being fair to them, but I think we've all been involved with or seen committees in action over the years where that wouldn't be a completely outlandish statement.

Jinxy

Surprised the O'Sheas haven't put their foot down with the county board.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

moysider

Quote from: iorras on August 23, 2016, 02:24:19 PM

Your either misunderstanding or misinterpreting what hes saying, with focus he is referring to training cycles. This should be a recovery week for Mayo, if they are going out playing club ball this weekend and focusing on that,  then that is a change in focus and some recovery has to take place next week when it should be the start of a three week hard training cycle heading to an all Ireland. It cant be that if they are recovering from a match. Monday is then a recovery session.

Exactly. Mayo have at least a weeks advantage in prep. going into this. Dublin and Kerry will kill each other next week and will have a tougher recovery than Mayo did because Mayo didn t exactly empty the tank v Tipperary.
Then there is the risk of injury. Likes of the O Connors could do without this distraction and risk because they look like they are not right physically as it is anyway.

Hound

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 23, 2016, 01:58:26 PM
I don't think so, Mayo should hold no fear of Dublin, who in my view were better last year when Mayo really should have put them to the sword. A more battle hardened Mayo team will be hard to beat. Kerry have no chance of beating Dublin next week so I wouldn't even worry about that.
It's possibly fair to say Mayo have put up poor performances (efforts) in a final or two against Kerry in the past. But not this team. When they've been beaten by Dublin/Kerry it's been fine margins, and mainly because on the day the opposition were slightly better.

Mayo have no fear of Dublin. There's no doubt about that. Although I'd guess they'd prefer Kerry. The loss in Limerick is the one that hurts most. They'd almost forget they were in an All Ireland final they'd be that up for besting Kerry.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: iorras on August 23, 2016, 02:20:34 PM
this nonsense about the club games this week would want to get sorted out fairly quick though before the national media pick up on it and it becomes a side show.
Ger Caff on twitter adding his spake to say call them off

Isn't there 3 weeks after next weekend until the final? That seems like long enough of a break to be honest rather than lying idle for 4 weeks. I know in Kilkenny the players usually go back to their clubs straight after the semi-final. Never seems to bother them unduly.

Granted players can get injured during games but players get injured during training as well.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: moysider on August 23, 2016, 02:29:52 PM
Quote from: iorras on August 23, 2016, 02:24:19 PM

Exactly. Mayo have at least a weeks advantage in prep. going into this. Dublin and Kerry will kill each other next week and will have a tougher recovery than Mayo did because Mayo didn t exactly empty the tank v Tipperary.
Then there is the risk of injury. Likes of the O Connors could do without this distraction and risk because they look like they are not right physically as it is anyway.

COC certainly doesn't look right, he's been very unlucky with injuries throughout his career.

Jinxy

Does this not smack a bit of looking for excuses already?
Sure what else are they going to be doing at the weekend.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

rosnarun

play the game to feck . itll keep players sharp and take their mind off the final . they have had a long spell with the county through he qualifiers  so could do with the mental break
the management knew this was happening and hopefully have planned accordingly.
its a bit unfair slagging the county board . Mayo reaching 6 all Ireland semis and 3 finals shows  the team are getting what they require to be competitive , of course there will be rows but ive never heard any of the players or managers complain about a lack of facilities accommodation etc connected to senior team .
i expect people will reply its despite rather than because of the CB but at least they dont seem to be getting in the way
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Hound

I think it would do the world of good to the lads who are 16 to 30 (and 3!) on the Mayo panel to get a game in. Some of the starting 15 too. But the issue would be lads who picked up knocks at the weekend or who arent 100% (like the O'Connors perhaps). You wouldn't want them playing. Whereas if Mayo were out, they could risk playing a club game with a bit of an injury.

moysider

Quote from: Hound on August 23, 2016, 03:01:31 PM
I think it would do the world of good to the lads who are 16 to 30 (and 3!) on the Mayo panel to get a game in. Some of the starting 15 too. But the issue would be lads who picked up knocks at the weekend or who arent 100% (like the O'Connors perhaps). You wouldn't want them playing. Whereas if Mayo were out, they could risk playing a club game with a bit of an injury.

The O Connors would have to play. Ballintubber in a must-win match.

I can see how this is going. Most outsiders want the games to go ahead. I wonder why?
I expect most mayo people think it's silly to play them. We re badly hindered as it is this year with injuries. 2 big players gone all year and at least 3 others struggling from match to match.