Mayo

Started by ONeill, August 21, 2016, 11:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: larryin89 on August 22, 2016, 06:01:48 PM
Jesus its horrid annoying being taken out of context.

Q. Do you think Mayo on current form this year could beat the winners of kerry v Dublin.

A. No chance.

Q. So do you think mayo have been holding back in games this year, do you think rochford has done this intentionally for a massive game in final where they will be a totally different animal to what theyve shown to date.

A. Well if he has got them all to buy into such a high risk strategy and they go out and win the all Ireland  in style , he and this team are truly brilliant. If on the other hand they play like they have all year and are well beaten in final , hes not a great manager at all.

FFS, will you lads ever learn.  ;) Chill fella, there's a long way to go until AI final day. Don't burn yourself out!
That was never a square ball!!

Captain Obvious

Quote from: five points on August 22, 2016, 06:24:55 PM
All reminds me of how Donegal went into the 1992 final with barely the shirts on their backs after a wretched semi-final and ended up winning it convincingly.
Don't see the comparison. Donegal was more impressive in Ulster that year than Mayo have been in any game this year. The best team Donegal beat in 1992 was Derry in the Ulster final. In the All Ireland semi final Donegal should have beaten Mayo by double the margin while Mayo were lucky to win by five points yesterday. Dublin 1992 were far weaker than Dublin or Kerry now.

highorlow

Larry's take is every supporters hope alright.

The next day everything must go right for us. We tried long range pot shots early yesterday which is a tactic we have tried now in all our games. Donie, Diarmuid and leroy all had a go. This is supposed to get the opposition half forwards to move out but only works if you score the odd one.

Our only hope against Dublin will be 14 behind the ball and try and turn over ball on the 45 and play our running game.

I've faith in the management particularly with Corofins result against Vincent's in 2015. The extra week is a gift and also a clean bill of health going into the final.

It's there for the taking if we have the energy to do it, that's the biggest question mark.

I also hope we gamble and start young O'Shea as a wing forward for the final, I've a sneaky feeling they will.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

twohands!!!

Quote from: larryin89 on August 22, 2016, 04:43:17 PMNobody in here nor gavin nor fitzmaurice have a notion how mayo will play or set up for final. When this is all over Rochford could possibly  be seen as one of the greatest gaelic football managers of all time. Its a no brainer either mayo have been holding back or not and the beauty of it is if we have been theres no time for homework for the opposition till half time on 18 th sept.

Explain to me how the Mayo played the "holding back" strategy against Tyrone given they let them have 33 shots for scores but Tyrone only coverted 12 and getting the win by a single point. Also explain how the holding back strategy worked in the Galway game? Were they too successful at holding back there?

larryin89

Well holy gawd! Im just saying maybe not saying its a given . Its not black and white either, galway game i think complacency set in , as for the tyrone game , we could of easily lost or at least only got a draw. Were we playing at full tilt , if we were we are snookered and that is all im saying .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

moysider

We certainly played at full-tilt against Tyrone. No doubt about that.

larryin89

Quote from: moysider on August 23, 2016, 12:05:54 AM

We certainly played at full-tilt against Tyrone. No doubt about that.

Well then wr are in trouble, if we finish the final even at four points up (best scenario)going into the last ten mins like we did v tyrone we would end up runners up for sure.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

five points

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 22, 2016, 06:38:31 PM
All reminds me of how Donegal went into the 1992 final with barely the shirts on their backs after a wretched semi-final and ended up winning it convincingly.
Don't see the comparison. Donegal was more impressive in Ulster that year than Mayo have been in any game this year. The best team Donegal beat in 1992 was Derry in the Ulster final. In the All Ireland semi final Donegal should have beaten Mayo by double the margin while Mayo were lucky to win by five points yesterday. Dublin 1992 were far weaker than Dublin or Kerry now.

Donegal weren't that impressive in Ulster in 1992. They were very lucky to squeeze a draw against a wildly inconsistent Cavan team whom they hammered in a replay in a monsoon. They beat Fermanagh and squeezed past Derry in the Ulster Final.

Their semi-final display against a very poor and ill-prepared Mayo team was wretched and they could have lost it had Manus Boyle not been introduced near the end.

Dublin 1992 were indeed far weaker than Dublin or Kerry now - but we didn't know that til they were exposed in the final as they had a very easy run to it, as both Dublin and Kerry have had so far this year.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: five points on August 23, 2016, 11:23:44 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 22, 2016, 06:38:31 PM

Donegal weren't that impressive in Ulster in 1992. They were very lucky to squeeze a draw against a wildly inconsistent Cavan team whom they hammered in a replay in a monsoon. They beat Fermanagh and squeezed past Derry in the Ulster Final.

Their semi-final display against a very poor and ill-prepared Mayo team was wretched and they could have lost it had Manus Boyle not been introduced near the end.

Dublin 1992 were indeed far weaker than Dublin or Kerry now - but we didn't know that til they were exposed in the final as they had a very easy run to it, as both Dublin and Kerry have had so far this year.
Who had won the NFL earlier in the year and knocked out the reigning All-Ireland champions in the Ulster semi-final, and went on themselves to win Sam the following year. And Donegal beat them despite playing with 14 men for the whole second half. Not a win to be dismissed too lightly.

iorras

Its a funny one, Mayo seem to play at whatever level the opposition play at. As we're going the road of historical comparisons, this year reminds me of Tyrone 2008.
back door, beat that years curiosity shop wonders Wexford in the semi by 6 points (I think) without scoring a goal. They sailed ahead in the first half, Wexford got it back to 2 or 3 in the second half with a goal and Tyrone upped it again to close it out. All the plaudits were for Wexford afterwards although they never did a whole lot after that really.
Then in the final, without Peter Canavan who retired in 2005, they stifled 3 in a row seeking Kerry, it was an exciting game from a tension and tactics point of view, but was probably poor enough on quality. Tyrone didn't care, nor should they have.
Tyrone got some respect from the pundits and the bookies in the build up, as they had 2 Sams already, mayo wont get that, but that's understandable. But Kerry were fairly warm favourites.
having said that, Tyrone had a bit of a hex over Kerry in those times so I think that helped as well, which mayo don't have. Tyrone had no fear about Kerry and it wound the Kerry boys up no end that they couldn't get to grips with that Tyrone team. This Mayo team don't fear Kerry or Dublin, but Kerry would be walking an inch taller facing Mayo in a final rather than Tyrone. As many of the Kingdom dwellers said before the 2006 final, "Mayo, sure we can post that one in". They weren't wrong then, they would be now but they'll be busting to beat the Dubs on Sunday for many reasons, but one of the main ones will be they will believe that they have essentially won Sam if they beat Dublin.
Here ends the random stream of consciousness

Owenmoresider

Quote from: iorras on August 23, 2016, 12:33:42 PM
Its a funny one, Mayo seem to play at whatever level the opposition play at. As we're going the road of historical comparisons, this year reminds me of Tyrone 2008.
back door, beat that years curiosity shop wonders Wexford in the semi by 6 points (I think) without scoring a goal. They sailed ahead in the first half, Wexford got it back to 2 or 3 in the second half with a goal and Tyrone upped it again to close it out. All the plaudits were for Wexford afterwards although they never did a whole lot after that really.
Then in the final, without Peter Canavan who got injured against Wexford, they stifled 3 in a row seeking Kerry, it was an exciting game from a tension and tactics point of view, but was probably poor enough on quality. Tyrone didn't care, nor should they have.
Tyrone got some respect from the pundits and the bookies in the build up, as they had 2 Sams already, mayo wont get that, but that's understandable. But Kerry were fairly warm favourites.
having said that, Tyrone had a bit of a hex over Kerry in those times so I think that helped as well, which mayo don't have. Tyrone had no fear about Kerry and it wound the Kerry boys up no end that they couldn't get to grips with that Tyrone team. This Mayo team don't fear Kerry or Dublin, but Kerry would be walking an inch taller facing Mayo in a final rather than Tyrone. As many of the Kingdom dwellers said before the 2006 final, "Mayo, sure we can post that one in". They weren't wrong then, they would be now but they'll be busting to beat the Dubs on Sunday for many reasons, but one of the main ones will be they will believe that they have essentially won Sam if they beat Dublin.
Random indeed. Peter retired in 2005 after all.

five points

Quote from: Owenmoresider on August 23, 2016, 11:40:04 AM
Who had won the NFL earlier in the year and knocked out the reigning All-Ireland champions in the Ulster semi-final, and went on themselves to win Sam the following year. And Donegal beat them despite playing with 14 men for the whole second half. Not a win to be dismissed too lightly.

Well we didn't know that at the time either. :-D

In 1992, that Derry team were promising alright but hadn't yet won a provincial title or contested a final.

iorras

Quote from: Owenmoresider on August 23, 2016, 12:49:48 PM
Then in the final, without Peter Canavan who retired in 2005, they stifled 3 in a row seeking Kerry, it was an exciting game from a tension and tactics point of view, but was probably poor enough on quality. Tyrone didn't care, nor should they have.
Random indeed. Peter retired in 2005 after all.
Exactly, that's what I said :)
Who can blame a man for mixing up Canavans retirement in 2005 and Sean Cavanagh's injury against Wexford even if it didn't stop him playing in the final? All I remember is the tears with him coming off, and that both of their surnames began with C. Blame the years of hard drinking from all Ireland final defeats!

moysider

I think most people - including most Mayo, myself included iih - think next Sunday semi is the final.

seafoid

Quote from: moysider on August 23, 2016, 01:12:28 PM
I think most people - including most Mayo, myself included iih - think next Sunday semi is the final.
A lot of Kerry and Dublin all Irelands are won psychologically before the ball is thrown in.
I think 4 out of the last 6 Kerry all Irelands were won beating teams who had given up mentally, the old reliables being Mayo and Cork.