The AS Roma Thread

Started by Il Bomber Destro, August 20, 2016, 07:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smelmoth

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 29, 2017, 11:10:33 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on May 29, 2017, 11:03:45 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 29, 2017, 10:39:02 AM
Are Lazio not the Fascists?

Indeed they are. And Di Canio is a very unpleasant individual. It seems incredible that anyone would want to identify with him.

As is the wife beating, flute whistler, Gascoigne.

A very fair point

Kilkevan

I am an Interista and no-one will ever come close as a bandiere in my book to Zanetti. I found the farewell ceremony yesterday for Totti very moving though. Whilst I have great respect for players who have stuck loyally to a club, like Maldini, Del Piero, Buffon and Javier, perhaps Totti is due even more credit for sticking with a club where he didn't even win half of what he could, perhaps should, have done elsewhere. The others I mentioned have medals coming out of their ears which Totti, and De Rossi has to be mentioned here also, doesn't.

Billys Boots

Indeed they are. And Di Canio is a very unpleasant individual. It seems incredible that anyone would want to identify with him.

Ah that man has serious, serious problems. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 30, 2017, 08:57:50 AM

Yes he has but when he was beating his wife and playing his flute he was a pumped up superstar who had money to burn and no brains to manage it or himself...and what's more he didn't care. He now has severe mental health problems and an addiction to booze and Christ knows what else due to his lack of taking responsibility repeatedly.

Kilkevan

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 30, 2017, 09:17:27 AM

Yes he has but when he was beating his wife and playing his flute he was a pumped up superstar who had money to burn and no brains to manage it or himself...and what's more he didn't care. He now has severe mental health problems and an addiction to booze and Christ knows what else due to his lack of taking responsibility repeatedly.

I'm no Manchester United lover but I can't help but think it would have been very different for him had he been at Old Trafford in the early stages of his career. Ferguson was the master at developing and looking after young talent and would have made sure Gascoigne had the right people around him. Unfortunately, he ended up surrounded by the very wrong people and his life went very quickly off the rails. Going to Italy was probably the worst thing that happened to him as Italian clubs expect, and always have expected, 100% discipline and will drop you like a hot potato if you don't meet those requirements. I think Lazio, Italian football and even Italians themselves looked at him and thought what the hell is this guy.

Seeing as this is a Roma thread though, is anyone else aware of the little ditty the Romanisti sang at him?

Ubriacone con l'orrechino,
Paul Gascoigne facci un bocchino!

(Drunkard with an earring,
Paul Gascoigne give us a b***j**!)

quit yo jibbajabba

seafoid

Signora Totti must have been a fine bit of Totti back in the day

Billys Boots

Granted, but he was always seriously ill (mentally, in my view anyway), and those around him were not helping matters.  Not making light of his actions, which were awful. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 30, 2017, 11:06:19 AM

Granted, but he was always seriously ill (mentally, in my view anyway), and those around him were not helping matters.  Not making light of his actions, which were awful.

As someone who has always supported and tried hard to understand mental illness I would argue the point in his case it was more and educational deficiency and a reflection of his environment more so than illness in the early days. He was wept up in his fame from an early age and had very little guidance. Spurs was completely the wrong move for him. If he had joined United I firmly believe he would have gone on to be one of the world greats of his generation but he didn't and that's that.

Kilkevan

Il Bomber Destro

Dzeko's goal in midweek was a thing of beauty.

Il Bomber Destro

Il Bomber Destro

3 ex Romanista start for Juve - Pjanic, Benatia and Szcesney

Il Bomber Destro

Benatia gives Juve the lead.

Pezzo di merda.