Tipp v Mayo AI semi final (still doesnt sound right!!)

Started by tippabu, August 07, 2016, 10:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: islamae on August 17, 2016, 03:54:05 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 16, 2016, 11:12:13 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 16, 2016, 10:55:09 AM
Does anyone think Tipp have a chance or might win?
As Tipp bet the Connacht Champions should all Connacht people not be supporting them as our reps in the AI Championship? :D

I think they might. Looking back on the Tyrone game, if they had their shooting boots on it would be a whole different game.
And most Connacht people will cheer Tipp on.
Farr !!
You must be the most negative and despondent supporter of the Mayo team  :( you always doubt their ability to progress to the next level!!
Is it  a fear to nail your colours to the mast in case it puts a jinx on them?????
Not at all!  Farr is our bellwether. The rest of the Mayo fans just wait and hope that he'll predict doom, disaster and eternal damnation for Mayo and all who follow the flag. When he does, we know we are on a winner.
The gloomier the forecast, the greater the chance we have of winning.
Going by his latest prophecy, I'd say we'll bate 'em by at least ten points! :D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Zulu on August 17, 2016, 10:08:19 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 17, 2016, 06:46:20 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 17, 2016, 04:50:17 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 17, 2016, 03:17:19 PM
Quote from: Hound on August 17, 2016, 01:09:08 PM
I never doubted that Mayo would go a long way in this championship even after the Connacht defeat. Ignoring Ulster, the reality is that Dublin, Kerry and Mayo are miles ahead of the rest. Technically there's a small chance that Mayo could completely disregard Tipp and thus play in second gear like they did against Galway, but I think that's no more than a very very remote possibility.

This is a an All Ireland semi, Mayo will bring intensity. Probably the first game when both O'Connors will be fully fit and able for 70 minutes (although they may well even save that for September). Tipp have done fantastic to get here, but in my opinion, Mayo will win comfortably.

TBH the luck of the draw has greatly helped Mayo to recover and go far this summer.

Fermanagh,Kildare at home. Round 4 got Westmeath,avoided both Kerry and Dublin in the quarter final and now face Tipperary who they should beat comfortably.

Wouldn't agree they got the luck of the draw. They'd have beaten pretty much anyone they could have net in most rounds but I'd say Fermanagh would have been the toughest draw they could have got in that round, Kildare one of the tougher ones and Tyrone were being talked about as Dublin's only real challengers. All told not a handy run to be fair.

The only two teams that could have beat Mayo were Kerry or Dublin but if they had met them already they could have won as well.

Farrandeelin mentions Mayo's missed opportunities against Tyrone and to me that is their only real weakness. They've missed scorable chances all year (more than is acceptable) and that is their biggest weakness. If they met Dublin in the final I feel they'll need a goal or two but if it's Kerry then they could win by just taking the scores they should take.

Great for Tipp to make the semi but they won't beat Mayo.

You are entitled to your opinion but it's one I can't agree with. Mayo were their for the taking in round 2,3 of the qualifers and a tricky away draw would have meant a early championship exit.

Round 4 Mayo could have drew Donegal instead of Westmeath and Mayo were far from impressive against Westmeath which would suggest Donegal would have beaten Mayo also. Avoiding Kerry,Dublin until the AI final is without question luck of the draw.

As for missed chances against Tyrone, to be far Tyrone were more guilty of that than Mayo.

Well it's all a matter of opinion of course but I certainly don't agree they've had it easy (compared to lots of other permutations). Westmeath weren't the toughest draw but Donegal's round 4 performance wasn't up to much either (or their QF one) so I'd be fairly certain Mayo would have accounted for them comfortably.

Mayo are like Kerry or Dublin now IMO, they'll do enough to get over the middle ranking teams but can up it for the real threats. We'll never know but bar meeting Dublin and possibly Kerry Mayo would have negotiated their way to this stage whoever they met.
The mighty Dubs didn't even beat Donegal comfortably this summer and Mayo weren't comfortable against a similar team in Tyrone so I don't see how you can draw that conclusion. Cork is another team Mayo avoided, for example could have drew them away instead of drawing Kildare at home in round 3. If Donegal didn't beat Cork in round 4 then Mayo would played Dublin instead of Tyrone in the quarter final.

Dublin and Kerry can raise their games for the bigger occasions mainly because of having that AI winning experience. Mayos form has been patchy all year where they could well have been caught cold by as you call them mid ranked teams however IMO the luck of the draw which includes Tipp in semi final has greatly helped Mayo rise above that form and still probably reach AI final.

Zulu

Dublin were incredibly comfortable against Donegal, bar a wayward kick by O'Sullivan they would have underlined their superiority on the scoreboard.

They didn't get the hardest draw in every round but that's not the same as having the luck of the draw. To get Fermanagh away, Cork away, Donegal and Dublin would have been to get the very worst draw possible each round. That's a good deal different from getting lucky draws.

As you said, it's all opinions but Mayo are right up there with Kerry for definite and not too far off Dublin IMO.

moysider

I don t think Mayo have to make any big statement in this one - just win it.

I hope anybody that is expecting a free-flowing, high-scoring game is going to be disappointed. Taking on Tipp. in a shoot-out is a no-no afaic.

I doubt that will happen though and expect Mayo to set up similar to qf and bring at least the same level of intensity. This time if we get periods when we are on top I'd hope we put some daylight between us and Tipp. on scoreboard. That is something we couldn t do when we were in the ascendency v Tyrone. Our biggest flaw in that game imo. We have to twist the knife more.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Zulu on August 17, 2016, 11:32:57 PM]Dublin were incredibly comfortable against Donegal
Stop the exaggeration. Dublin only led by one score as the game entered injury time. Dublin were rattled and completely lost their discipline against what was a weary Donegal side after a tough Ulster campaign and comeback win v Cork.

Zulu

Not an exaggeration. Donegal never looked like winning that game. Dublin won last years final by one or two points yet it was a comfortable win too.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Zulu on August 17, 2016, 11:59:41 PM
Not an exaggeration. Donegal never looked like winning that game. Dublin won last years final by one or two points yet it was a comfortable win too.
Regardless if Donegal looked like winning it or not to say Dublin were incredibly comfortable was an exaggeration. Kerry missed a glorious goal chance late on in last years All Ireland final that could have grabbed them underserved win maybe Jim Gavin would say afterwards that Dublin lost because they were too comfortable?

I think most would agree It's not comfortable unless you have the game won by before the final quarter and then clear your bench just to give lads a run out.

moysider

There was a window of opportunity for Donegal when Dublin went down to 14. Dublin though are set up so well defensively now that losing a man does not upset them that much if they are defending a lead. They are still going to be as difficult to break down for scores anyway. It might be a different story if they had to chase a game with 14. I also thought they were comfortable in the end game v Donegal. Donegal had to rattle them just after the sending off but Dublin thread water very well at that stage and took any sting Donegal had out of them before putting them away.

Mayo Club 51

Over 50,000 expected now on Sunday for the semi final

tippabu

Quote from: Mayo Club 51 on August 18, 2016, 08:30:24 PM

Id be shocked....tipp galway hurling managed 55,000, if theres 10,000 from tipp that would be absolutely massive

mayo.mick

Quote from: tippabu on August 18, 2016, 08:53:32 PM
Quote from: Mayo Club 51 on August 18, 2016, 08:30:24 PM

Id be shocked....tipp galway hurling managed 55,000, if theres 10,000 from tipp that would be absolutely massive

I think I saw that reported today somewhere too. Seems a lot of "double header" tickets for the hurling and football sold in Tipperary.
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

macdanger2

Farrandeelin

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 18, 2016, 09:23:16 PM
Any word on team news??
Mayo will be picked tomorrow night. Probably be a few changes and switches on the day too.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

I want to see if this breakthrough forces the hurling heads to respect football in Tipp more. If the hurling underage teams stop their nonsense of trying to lock hurlers out of football, basic things that no county that wants to be successful can tolerate. Obviously the lads who fûcked off to the States will be back with their tails between their legs next year if they have any sense.