Tipp v Mayo AI semi final (still doesnt sound right!!)

Started by tippabu, August 07, 2016, 10:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iorras

Whats the story in Tipp with the county board and the West Clubs who have been thrown out of the football competition?
Not a distraction the players need but could help with a siege mentality when they might feel they need to be giving two fingers to their county board, "no-one likes us but we don't care" kinda thing in the hurling v football civil war?

Maroon Manc

I fully expect Mayo to win but not sure the odds are a fair reflection of where both teams are at.

AZOffaly

Quote from: iorras on August 09, 2016, 10:55:03 AM
Whats the story in Tipp with the county board and the West Clubs who have been thrown out of the football competition?
Not a distraction the players need but could help with a siege mentality when they might feel they need to be giving two fingers to their county board, "no-one likes us but we don't care" kinda thing in the hurling v football civil war?

I think the footballers were in the wrong here in fairness. The West Clubs were actually thrown out of the hurling championship. Essentially a round of the divisional hurling championships were fixed for last weekend, and the footballers decided they did not want to play. Now the 13 day rule is normally enforced in Tipp (Senior Hurlers played for their clubs the weekend before last for example) but the footballers refused to play.

Therefore the clubs refused to play without the players, so the matches were forfeit. Not sure about the situation in the West, but in the North Newport got a walkover from Shannon Rovers (George Hannigan). In the South Moyle Rovers (Peter Acheson and Martin Dunne) gave Carrick Swans a walkover. As they were semi finals in the North, that's effectively Shannon Rovers out.

Now, the wrinkle here in Tipp is that these Divisional Championships are also used as a back door in the county Quarter Finals. If you fail to qualify from your County Group, but win your Division, you are back into the  County Championship as well. A lot of these teams are still alive in the County Championship, so it's of little importance, other than the chance to lift a Divisional Title.

The suggestion is that Liam Kearns 'unofficially' asked behind the scenes that these matches not be fixed. The County Board invoked the 13 day rule (as they had done for the hurlers) and fixed the games. Then the players (as opposed to Kearns is the official line) banded together and refused to play.

I'm not sure this is a hurling v football thing, as much as a club v county thing. And the fact that the county in this case is the footballers probably would lead to less sympathetic hearing from some clubs. That said, Tipp Senior Hurlers were in action in places like Borrisoleigh, Ballina, Kilruane and others the weekend before last, and they had the same interval before the Galway hurling semi final, including Brendan Maher playing with a slightly dodgy shoulder.

I'm a big football man, and I feel the footballers were wrong here. I also feel that all those clubs who elected to concede walkovers, and who were already still alive in the county championship should have played, even to give their club men a game.

The clubs who are trying not to get relegated, or who are out of the running in the county, I understand their reluctance to play without their county footballers.

Farrandeelin

Is there many dual clubs in Tipp? Or have all the strong hurling clubs got football teams as well?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

thejuice

Will Tipp draw much of a crowd for this?

Its a lot to ask supporter to cough up for two semi finals with the hurlers out the week before. Perhaps for the novelty of it the footballers might draw a good few away from the hurlers who might not be able to afford both. €40 for each game.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

tippabu

Quote from: thejuice on August 09, 2016, 11:31:30 PM
Will Tipp draw much of a crowd for this?

Its a lot to ask supporter to cough up for two semi finals with the hurlers out the week before. Perhaps for the novelty of it the footballers might draw a good few away from the hurlers who might not be able to afford both. €40 for each game.

Gaa have a special on, 60 if you go to both. Still football will get very small support.....itll be 10 to 1 mayo at the id imagine

AZOffaly

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 09, 2016, 10:44:30 PM
Is there many dual clubs in Tipp? Or have all the strong hurling clubs got football teams as well?

A lot of clubs in the Mid, West and South would be dual clubs. Some areas have a hurling club and a football club (Clonmel Commercials and Saint Mary's e.g.). Some places then have no football at all, or a token gesture. Much of the North falls into this category unfortunately, and it is absolutely the fault of the clubs, rather than the players not wanting it. The harsh truth is that hurling clubs are afraid of football being more popular with the kids, and treat it with disdain. This attitude filters up to Divisional Board level, and is reflected (at adult level) in how competitions are run. The Board will say the clubs are not interested, and the clubs will say the players are not interested, but yet I had over 60 under 14s attending football coaching sessions in the month of November, from every single club in the North.

Also Portroe are now playing football. Remember Portroe is Kevin O'Halloran's club. He played NO adult football with his club until this development. Stephen O'Brien's Ballina pays scant attention to football, which is probably a major reason he tried the hurling with Tipp. There were two lads from Portroe on the U14 development squad this year.

In general everyone in Tipp (outside the North) plays both, and even in the North, largely thanks to player agitation, there is at least a few more clubs playing Junior football.

AZOffaly

And yet, if you look at the starting 15 from the Galway game, you have George Hannigan, Philip Austin and Kevin O'Halloran. 3/15 from the North division. And Stephen O'Brien would be undoubtedly 4/15 unless he took Georgie's place. So the North has footballers.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

moysider

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 11, 2016, 12:06:49 AM
Hon Tipp da feck!  ;) :D

Jaysus Myles, did ye not stir up enough on the thread that got locked down!!

You started it ye know. Bomber didn't know when to let the bone go with the dog and our Larry took off the shirt!

I'm hoping for a more civil thread here - at least until after the game.

joemamas

A little off topic, but just watched  Mayo V Tyrone again.
Paul Earley is an hateful anti Mayo p***k.
His commentary in the first half was disgraceful has reinforced everything I thought of him over past few years. Pathetic .

ballinaman

Rochford reported a clean bill of health at presser in Breaffy House last night. Tipp have started same team for every championship game they have played this year.

AZOffaly

Quote from: ballinaman on August 11, 2016, 08:32:30 AM
Rochford reported a clean bill of health at presser in Breaffy House last night. Tipp have started same team for every championship game they have played this year.
[/b]

Sure they only have the bare 15. The bus driver, and more worryingly, the lad who ferries around the food and such, is bringing his boots.

iorras

Quote from: joemamas on August 11, 2016, 03:26:50 AM
A little off topic, but just watched  Mayo V Tyrone again.
Paul Earley is an hateful anti Mayo p***k.
His commentary in the first half was disgraceful has reinforced everything I thought of him over past few years. Pathetic .
Totally agree with you there. I try not to be blinkered and react to perceived slights, but I first cottoned on to him during the Kildare game. I actually thought I was watching a different match, he kept going on about how Kildare were winning the second half and how good they were, and how poor Mayo are. WHAT??? We were 7 points up with 10 minutes to go when he was blathering that. Mike Finnerty should give him a dig.
That's the end of him for this season anyway. Wont have to listen to him again.

macdanger2

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 11, 2016, 09:25:52 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on August 11, 2016, 08:32:30 AM
[/b]

Sure they only have the bare 15. The bus driver, and more worryingly, the lad who ferries around the food and such, is bringing his boots.

They get free food served by a waiter?? Ffs, the Dubs of munster by the sounds of it