Olympic boxing

Started by winghalfback, August 02, 2016, 01:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 18, 2016, 07:27:37 PM
Why did they remove the head guards from men's amateur boxing?

Seems they are going more pro style overall. Personally I prefer it without the headguards, even if they did prevent a lot of cuts.

If Ireland continues to send boxers to this farce they might consider going with a different type of boxer. More aggressive fighters rather than technically good boxers might get more joy. Saying that, in the heavyweight, the aggressor and better boxer lost. But that's another story altogether I suspect.

yellowcard

Quote from: beer baron on August 18, 2016, 06:59:13 PM
Conlon might be glad he doesn't have to fight Ramirez. Looks unbeatable barring something dodgy.

Top class boxer, him and Conlon should have been in the final on Saturday. That said the US boxer is a very good fighter too so it's no given that Ramirez will actually beat him.

Syferus

Conlan is exactly the sort of fighter who would relish fighting a top class opponent and perform even better because of it. He's the world champion ffs, to assume he's lose is nonsense of the highest order.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 18, 2016, 07:27:37 PM
Why did they remove the head guards from men's amateur boxing?

They reckoned that the extra weight of the head guard actually contributed more negatively than positively, in that the greater momentum generated with head movement (after a smack) generated greater forces on the brain.

Obviously, women have much smaller brains, so it's completely logical for them to carry on wearing head guards for the foreseeable. ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

beer baron

Quote from: Syferus on August 18, 2016, 11:59:45 PM
Conlan is exactly the sort of fighter who would relish fighting a top class opponent and perform even better because of it. He's the world champion ffs, to assume he's lose is nonsense of the highest order.

They fought once previously and Ramirez won pretty cosily so if that's nonsense of the highest order so be it.

Syferus

Quote from: beer baron on August 19, 2016, 12:14:41 AM
Quote from: Syferus on August 18, 2016, 11:59:45 PM

They fought once previously and Ramirez won pretty cosily so if that's nonsense of the highest order so be it.

Darren O'Neill beat the Olympic heavyweight 'champion' too. Swings and roundabouts. You were engaging in hyperbole, nothing more.

mouview

How come the Cubans are no longer to the fore?

moysider

Quote from: mouview on August 19, 2016, 12:30:41 AM

Cuban boxing was a product of the state. A product of the cold war. Resources were put into it. Their best fighters never went pro.Stevenson was a puppet.  Cuba is opening up a bit and things have moved on thankfully.

Cuba and East Germany similar imo. In Montreal East German women won 11 of 13 events in swimming!  The wonder madchens. How many Germans won in the pool in Rio?
And people think this Olympics is dodgy.
Marita Koch (East Germany) still holds the 400 metre record since 1985 I think. 31 years!! How sad is that. Alyson Felix couldn t beat it. That record stands out as a disgrace to the sport. Thank God that Chinese Wang Junxia's 10,000 record is gone. While there might be ??s about the Ethiopian girl the Chinese was definitely rotten.

muppet

Quote from: moysider on August 19, 2016, 03:07:12 AM
Quote from: mouview on August 19, 2016, 12:30:41 AM

Cuban boxing was a product of the state. A product of the cold war. Resources were put into it. Their best fighters never went pro.Stevenson was a puppet.  Cuba is opening up a bit and things have moved on thankfully.

Cuba and East Germany similar imo. In Montreal East German women won 11 of 13 events in swimming!  The wonder madchens. How many Germans won in the pool in Rio?
And people think this Olympics is dodgy.
Marita Koch (East Germany) still holds the 400 metre record since 1985 I think. 31 years!! How sad is that. Alyson Felix couldn t beat it. That record stands out as a disgrace to the sport. Thank God that Chinese Wang Junxia's 10,000 record is gone. While there might be ??s about the Ethiopian girl the Chinese was definitely rotten.

The reason Marita Koch's record still stands is the same reason Wang Junxia's record was never under threat for so long and, I believe, is probably the same reason that Junxia's has been just smashed to pieces. All sides of the same grubby coin.
MWWSI 2017

nrico2006

Conlon v Ramirez would be a tight fight.  They fought when they were younger at a lighter weight.  Conlon has significantly improved since 2012 and seems better at BW, whereas Ramirez hasn't been as impressive in the 4 years since.

Find it so interesting to read about how Cuba became such a boxing powerhouse.  Would love to know how Kazakhstan have became such a force now.

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

winghalfback

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 19, 2016, 08:18:28 AM
Conlon v Ramirez would be a tight fight.  They fought when they were younger at a lighter weight.  Conlon has significantly improved since 2012 and seems better at BW, whereas Ramirez hasn't been as impressive in the 4 years since.

Find it so interesting to read about how Cuba became such a boxing powerhouse.  Would love to know how Kazakhstan have became such a force now.

Money

gallsman

How much do you know of Ramirez's performances since London?

AZOffaly

I thought Ramirez was 22? he looked pretty impressive yesterday.

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 19, 2016, 09:30:04 AM
I thought Ramirez was 22? he looked pretty impressive yesterday.

He is. He was only 18 in London. I imagine a lot of promoters wouldn't mind seeing a deflection.

nrico2006

Quote from: gallsman on August 19, 2016, 09:29:24 AM

How much do you know of Ramirez's performances since London?

He hasn't won a medal at the two World Championships since London and since he moved up.  Not disputing his quality, its just that Conlon has definitely progressed more than him since they last met.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'