Dublin V Donegal 6th Aug 6pm Sky

Started by The Aristocrat, August 01, 2016, 09:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Jinxy on August 08, 2016, 07:31:06 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 08, 2016, 04:37:18 PM
I think Donegal were quite happy to see him on the ball. Not that they don't rate him, but they were happy to have a lad sitting that deep going from side to side and backwards. I'm not getting that this was some sort of quarterback display by Kilkenny, but I'll watch the game again. I'd like to chart his 52 possessions.

To be fair, he did throw a lot of passes.

Probably a bigger back room team though.  ;D
MWWSI 2017

The Trap

Just listenied to Game On and Bernard Flynn was going on about Connolly being targeted on Saturday and getting sent off........what game do these boys watch, such lazy analysis. Connolly was sent off for:
1. Blocking Ryan mchugh from making a run forward off the ball. Was lucky not to get a black for this
2. A high tackle
Being targeted had nothing to do with it. By the way I am a big fan and his two points were the highlight of the day.

Some of the people giving expert opinions do bug me though. They are like sheep!

And when I am on it, every year the analysis seems to change at about quarter final stage. Everything becomes more positive. Is it because RTE and SKy want to keep on the right side of the Gaa at the end of the season so they can compete for the rights?

The Ulster final was slated for being a bore fest yet there was no negativity about Tyrone and Mayo despite it being a very similar game.........

heffo

Quote from: muppet on August 08, 2016, 08:38:23 PM
I think Donegal were quite happy to see him on the ball. Not that they don't rate him, but they were happy to have a lad sitting that deep going from side to side and backwards. I'm not getting that this was some sort of quarterback display by Kilkenny, but I'll watch the game again. I'd like to chart his 52 possessions.

Embrace the confidence Muppet, don't fear it - Saturday was your Dublin v Tyrone in 2011 moment.

muppet

Quote from: heffo on August 08, 2016, 08:55:55 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 08, 2016, 08:38:23 PM

Embrace the confidence Muppet, don't fear it - Saturday was your Dublin v Tyrone in 2011 moment.

One game at a time....
Tipp will be really up for this one...
Lookit Des, I suppose, as such, very much so.....
....no marquee forwards....gasp!...
...key players injured.....blow!.....
...no cups handed out in August....wheeze!...
...players' strike.......breathe! breathe!....

Embrace......
The...
Confidence...
He..
Said.....

MWWSI 2017

tyssam5

Quote from: Smokin Joe on August 07, 2016, 08:46:06 AM
Dublin can't call any team cynical.  I was at the game yesterday, and Dublin players checked the supporting runs of Donegal players all day.  Kevin McMenamin was especially bad (or good depending on your view point) at this, but if the ref and linesmen don't stamp it out then teams will do whatever is necessary to win football matches.

I lost count of the number of times the McHughs got their togs / jersey pulled back as they were trying to support runners.

That seemed to happen a lot could have been a few black cards for sure.

J70

Eamon McGee following Colm McFadden in announcing retirement. Can't imagine he'll be last of them.

12 years (minus one or two drinking exiles  ;D) for McGee, 14 for McFadden.

They'll be hard to replace.

heffo

Quote from: J70 on August 09, 2016, 12:49:56 AM
Eamon McGee following Colm McFadden in announcing retirement. Can't imagine he'll be last of them.

Two great players who I won't be sorry to see the back of (for the right reasons)

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: heffo on August 09, 2016, 08:19:27 AM
Quote from: J70 on August 09, 2016, 12:49:56 AM

Two great players who I won't be sorry to see the back of (for the right reasons)

McFadden was a very special player. If his powerful shot in the 2011 semi final had been an inch lower rather than smashing off the crossbar history might have been very different.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Jinxy

Eamonn McGee does the standard GAA thing of posting a lengthy passage by J.R.R. Tolkien on Twitter to announce his retirement.
Sick of lads doing that.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Jinxy on August 09, 2016, 10:18:32 AM
Eamonn McGee does the standard GAA thing of posting a lengthy passage by J.R.R. Tolkien on Twitter to announce his retirement.
Sick of lads doing that.
Beats having a prepared statement issued by the GPA anyway.

Fuzzman

Does Donegal fans expect there to be any more retirements or will they wait til the new year.
I'd expect Lacey(31) and Thompson(30) to go. McGlynn is 30 too I see but he'll probably stay on will he?
They've put a lot of effort in the last 5 or 6 years.
I can see the two McMahons retiring but not sure about Sean Cavanagh.

Jinxy

Michael Murphy should take a long break, sit out the league next year, and get himself right.
I'd hate to see him have to retire before he's even 30.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

J70

Quote from: Jinxy on August 09, 2016, 10:18:32 AM
Sick of lads doing that.

He seems to be a very laid back, down to earth lad. Always funny, interesting, self-deprecating tweets. Totally at odds with his McGee brother reputation on the field!

He said in an interview this week that he just didn't feel good enough for  inter-county level anymore, pointing to his not being able to cope with Sean Cavanagh in the Ulster final.

Wildweasel74

Eamon McGee and J.R.R. Tolkien, i actually pleasantly surprised he actually read it to know where to get it!!

J70

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 09, 2016, 02:09:03 PM
Does Donegal fans expect there to be any more retirements or will they wait til the new year.
I'd expect Lacey(31) and Thompson(30) to go. McGlynn is 30 too I see but he'll probably stay on will he?
They've put a lot of effort in the last 5 or 6 years.
I can see the two McMahons retiring but not sure about Sean Cavanagh.

I think Thompson and McGlynn still have plenty to offer. Don't think Lacey has been anywhere near as effective as he used to be. He used to dominate matches, and before that corner forwards. Kavanagh and Neil Gallagher are two others. Christy Toye played well as a sub this year, but that lad has been in the team since 2002! However, he did miss the guts of two seasons through illness a few years back, so maybe he is still a bit fresher.

I would agree with others that Murphy could use a break for next year's league.

Cavanagh is about since 2002 as well, right?