Galway v Tipperary AIQF 31/07/16

Started by Duine Eile, July 25, 2016, 01:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 29, 2016, 08:28:02 AM
In fairness most of the dismissing before the Mayo match was from Kevin Walsh. Which the media and probably Mayo team fed into. This tie is a potential banana skin as it's the first time Galway are favourites. Galway are still not really getting credit for winning Connacht. But this is good as it sort of keeps them under the radar.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/ciar%C3%A1n-murphy-apathy-draining-the-life-from-galway-football-1.2685965
"But Mayo found their man in October 2010, and the gap looks more and more intimidating with every passing year. The further ahead they are in terms of preparation and physical conditioning, the less enticing a prospect it is for a young Galway footballer to put in the effort to start to claw back some ground.  But it has to start somewhere, and relying on Mayo to come back to the pack seems like a forlorn hope at the moment."

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: ballinaman on July 27, 2016, 05:59:08 PM
Anyone have more info on Declan Kyne? How old is he roughly and did he feature underage? Interested because a Gawlay footballer (not on panel now) told me prior to the Mayo game that he didn't rate him at all..

Was standing out in games for me but when you analyse his positioning when the team is pushed up he plays too far in front of his man. He will be caught out by a team who can accurately kick pass over the top.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Cunny Funt

Quote from: ballinaman on July 27, 2016, 05:59:08 PM
Anyone have more info on Declan Kyne? How old is he roughly and did he feature underage? Interested because a Gawlay footballer (not on panel now) told me prior to the Mayo game that he didn't rate him at all..
Only two years ago he was the starting full back on the Galway team that lost to Leitrim in the Connacht junior semi final. It will be some turnaround for Kyne if he's now to play in a senior All Ireland semi final.

Manning18

Quote from: tippabu on July 26, 2016, 02:00:26 PM
Im a fair bit away from the galway border myself but think the whole matties thing is because every 2nd person near the border is called mattie, after that no clue. Have you read bigjohns previews and reviews of the last few games on premierview AZ? They are brilliant!!

I know that lad, used to write the same gibberish on hoganstand? He's from some drug infested backwater in Tipp, type of place still struggling for broadband. Had to go to school in Galway to get any sort of proper education, where he got bullied so he's been extra bitter ever since

tippabu

Quote from: Manning18 on July 29, 2016, 08:08:13 PM
Im a fair bit away from the galway border myself but think the whole matties thing is because every 2nd person near the border is called mattie, after that no clue. Have you read bigjohns previews and reviews of the last few games on premierview AZ? They are brilliant!!

I know that lad, used to write the same gibberish on hoganstand? He's from some drug infested backwater in Tipp, type of place still struggling for broadband. Had to go to school in Galway to get any sort of proper education, where he got bullied so he's been extra bitter ever since

No.....different person, dont know who wrote the mattie explanation earlier that was quoted. Bigjohn actually writes very good pieces, abit different to the usual things but very good all the same.

tippabu

i hope bigjohn doesnt mind but here is his post following the defeat in the munster final to kerry, as i say, they are different but refreshing

Manuel Garcia, the chief protagonist in Ernest Hemmingway's short story The Undefeated, is a veteran bullfighter who struggles against many cultural obstacles that are placed in his way. When he finally gets to fight, he is paid a fraction of what the younger more popular bullfighters are paid. The general feeling amongst the masses is that Garcia is such a hopeless case that even St Jude has doubts and so very few people turn up to see him. Everywhere he goes people advise him to cut his pony tail (a matador's equivalent of hanging up your boots). However, in his last fight he eventually wins over the crowd with his bravery even though it took him 5 attempts to kill the bull and he ended up in hospital having been gored by the bull on 4 occasions

I'm not in possession of a DeLorean DMC-12 so I can't travel back to 1927 to find out what Hemmingway was thinking but I'm fairly sure Tipperary Football was the furthest thing from his mind when he penned The Undefeated. Still for me, Manuel Garcia's struggles symbolise the struggle of a Tipperary Footballer. Much like Garcia, cultural obstacles are placed in the way of a Tipperary Footballer. His funding is small in comparison to his more popular counterparts and the crowds don't turn up because they also believe that the Tipperary footballer is at a thing called nothing. Every now and then the bravery of the Tipp Footballer will win a few people over but the spin on the Tipperary Football Bandwagon can often be a short journey. .

Kerry came to bury us not to praise us. The email containing this message must have been circulated to every resident in Kerry late on Saturday night because any Kerryman I met before the game was in no doubt as what the result would be. I recently read an article on how to detect arrogant people. The writer could have saved a few trees and just told the reader to travel to Kerry. You would think a county that supplied us with Peig Sayers, Jackie Healy-Rae and Barry John Keane shouldn't be capable of arrogance but somehow they have managed it.

Every game starts with a throw in. Yesterday the ball was thrown in by referee , David Gough, who was auditioning for the All Ireland Final gig and was determined not to do anything that was going to upset the possible All Ireland Finalists.

Win it or kill it is the mantra of an old boss of mine. We win it and 30 secs later Jimmy Feehan is sticking the ball in the Kerry net as 23,000 supporters reach to their pockets to rip up their First Goalscorer docket. What a start!!!

15 mins later and we are giving as good as we get. Leading 1.03 to 3 we look every bit as comfortable as Kerry.

Then the Kerry wall goes up across their 45m line and suddenly the game changes. Tipp panic. The top teams move the ball swiftly between the two 45m lines. Every Tipp manager from Seamus McCarthy to Liam Kearns will have spoken about the need to move the ball quickly in this area. (even Andy " here for the " Shortall might have mentioned that one). Tipp panic. Michael Quinlivan spent Saturday night on an IV drip. The fluids on that drip went into him quicker than the ball did on Sunday afternoon. We are now moving the ball sideways and backwards until eventually we take it into contact, lose it and get punished. Brian Fox, the one player we have that might break a line is now employed a sweeper.

A bad turnover and two ambitious passes that go astray provide Kerry with 1.02 in the space of 5 minutes. Tipp heads are as low as lino now and as we approach the tea break , the Kerry Symphony Orchestra conducted by Bryan Sheehan are in full swing. They hadn't let us play a tune from play since Jimmy Feehan's goal in the first minute. Kerry are good but we were masters of our own downfall.

3 wides in 2 minutes at the start of the second half and the dream was well and truly over. We battle manfully till the end. Brian Kelly saves wonderfully from Michael Quinlivan before Robbie Kiely gives Kelly no chance for Tipp's second goal. The scoreboard reads 3.70 to 2.06. What is it this year with the GAA and scoreboard malfunctions?

Josh Keane gets a black card when it looked to me that it should have been a 2nd yellow for Sheehan. I'll have to view it again but a black card for the every willing Josh Keane was harsh. Alan Campbell receives a yellow card for a challenge on Barry John Keane. There should be no punishment for such an act.

The biggest groan of the day is when James O'Donoghue pops over a free with the last kick of the ball as Kerry supporters who have backed Kerry -10 and Tipp supporters who had back Tipp +10 realised their money is goosed.

A brave effort by Tipp but while not surprised by the result I was disappointed with the performance. Anyone who has watched the Tipp footballers over the past few years will know that we have some wonderful footballers in that group. But yesterday, as in the past, our decision making lets us down when we play the top teams. There is only one way to improve that and that's to play the top teams more often. Looking at the possible opponents for the next round, none of them carry weapons so we have nothing to fear.

We all have regrets in our lives. I always regret not going to college as I feel I would have been ideally suited to the social aspect of college life. There are many more that I won't bore you with but I'll never regret my decision to follow the Tipperary Footballers. Some of the best days I've enjoyed has been following the misfortunes and occasional fortunes of various Tipperary Football teams. Days like yesterday just makes me think, they will need my support more now than ever before.

Tipperary Football is not ready to cut its pony tail just yet!!

PW Nally

Quote from: tippabu on July 29, 2016, 10:02:15 PM

i hope bigjohn doesnt mind but here is his post following the defeat in the munster final to kerry, as i say, they are different but refreshing

Manuel Garcia, the chief protagonist in Ernest Hemmingway's short story The Undefeated, is a veteran bullfighter who struggles against many cultural obstacles that are placed in his way. When he finally gets to fight, he is paid a fraction of what the younger more popular bullfighters are paid. The general feeling amongst the masses is that Garcia is such a hopeless case that even St Jude has doubts and so very few people turn up to see him. Everywhere he goes people advise him to cut his pony tail (a matador's equivalent of hanging up your boots). However, in his last fight he eventually wins over the crowd with his bravery even though it took him 5 attempts to kill the bull and he ended up in hospital having been gored by the bull on 4 occasions

I'm not in possession of a DeLorean DMC-12 so I can't travel back to 1927 to find out what Hemmingway was thinking but I'm fairly sure Tipperary Football was the furthest thing from his mind when he penned The Undefeated. Still for me, Manuel Garcia's struggles symbolise the struggle of a Tipperary Footballer. Much like Garcia, cultural obstacles are placed in the way of a Tipperary Footballer. His funding is small in comparison to his more popular counterparts and the crowds don't turn up because they also believe that the Tipperary footballer is at a thing called nothing. Every now and then the bravery of the Tipp Footballer will win a few people over but the spin on the Tipperary Football Bandwagon can often be a short journey. .

Kerry came to bury us not to praise us. The email containing this message must have been circulated to every resident in Kerry late on Saturday night because any Kerryman I met before the game was in no doubt as what the result would be. I recently read an article on how to detect arrogant people. The writer could have saved a few trees and just told the reader to travel to Kerry. You would think a county that supplied us with Peig Sayers, Jackie Healy-Rae and Barry John Keane shouldn't be capable of arrogance but somehow they have managed it.

Every game starts with a throw in. Yesterday the ball was thrown in by referee , David Gough, who was auditioning for the All Ireland Final gig and was determined not to do anything that was going to upset the possible All Ireland Finalists.

Win it or kill it is the mantra of an old boss of mine. We win it and 30 secs later Jimmy Feehan is sticking the ball in the Kerry net as 23,000 supporters reach to their pockets to rip up their First Goalscorer docket. What a start!!!

15 mins later and we are giving as good as we get. Leading 1.03 to 3 we look every bit as comfortable as Kerry.

Then the Kerry wall goes up across their 45m line and suddenly the game changes. Tipp panic. The top teams move the ball swiftly between the two 45m lines. Every Tipp manager from Seamus McCarthy to Liam Kearns will have spoken about the need to move the ball quickly in this area. (even Andy " here for the " Shortall might have mentioned that one). Tipp panic. Michael Quinlivan spent Saturday night on an IV drip. The fluids on that drip went into him quicker than the ball did on Sunday afternoon. We are now moving the ball sideways and backwards until eventually we take it into contact, lose it and get punished. Brian Fox, the one player we have that might break a line is now employed a sweeper.

A bad turnover and two ambitious passes that go astray provide Kerry with 1.02 in the space of 5 minutes. Tipp heads are as low as lino now and as we approach the tea break , the Kerry Symphony Orchestra conducted by Bryan Sheehan are in full swing. They hadn't let us play a tune from play since Jimmy Feehan's goal in the first minute. Kerry are good but we were masters of our own downfall.

3 wides in 2 minutes at the start of the second half and the dream was well and truly over. We battle manfully till the end. Brian Kelly saves wonderfully from Michael Quinlivan before Robbie Kiely gives Kelly no chance for Tipp's second goal. The scoreboard reads 3.70 to 2.06. What is it this year with the GAA and scoreboard malfunctions?

Josh Keane gets a black card when it looked to me that it should have been a 2nd yellow for Sheehan. I'll have to view it again but a black card for the every willing Josh Keane was harsh. Alan Campbell receives a yellow card for a challenge on Barry John Keane. There should be no punishment for such an act.

The biggest groan of the day is when James O'Donoghue pops over a free with the last kick of the ball as Kerry supporters who have backed Kerry -10 and Tipp supporters who had back Tipp +10 realised their money is goosed.

A brave effort by Tipp but while not surprised by the result I was disappointed with the performance. Anyone who has watched the Tipp footballers over the past few years will know that we have some wonderful footballers in that group. But yesterday, as in the past, our decision making lets us down when we play the top teams. There is only one way to improve that and that's to play the top teams more often. Looking at the possible opponents for the next round, none of them carry weapons so we have nothing to fear.

We all have regrets in our lives. I always regret not going to college as I feel I would have been ideally suited to the social aspect of college life. There are many more that I won't bore you with but I'll never regret my decision to follow the Tipperary Footballers. Some of the best days I've enjoyed has been following the misfortunes and occasional fortunes of various Tipperary Football teams. Days like yesterday just makes me think, they will need my support more now than ever before.

Tipperary Football is not ready to cut its pony tail just yet!!
Bigjohn rocks!

giveballaghback

Big John, a brilliant post that says it all.

Jinxy

Tipp putting runners into space through the centre of the Galway defence but none of them have the balls to shoot.
Always looking to handpass it into one of the FF line when they should just slot it over themselves.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

thejuice

Decent game so far. Tipp looking good but if they had a bit more composure they'd be looking comfortable.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

Who is the clown screaming, "Wide ball!"?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rudi

Quote from: Jinxy on July 31, 2016, 04:29:16 PM
Who is the clown screaming, "Wide ball!"?

Galway corner back, he wishes. Looks like two useless teams beat us easily this year. Brolly was wrong calling us useless, by very definition we are worse than useless.

GalwayBayBoy

Height advantage of the Tipp full forward line a big factor here. Galway full-back line is quite small.

seafoid

Good man Comer
Must be annoying  for Tipp after such a good half