Started by T Fearon, July 24, 2016, 02:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeog

T Fearon

BennyCake

Antonio Banderas as Frank McGlynn.
Colm Meaney as Eamonn McGee.

BennyCake

To borrow the tag line from the movie...

2012: 'We were warned' (in 2011)

tyroneman

Holy feck this is getting out of hand. If he'd won 2 AI would the book have become mandatory on the national curriculum?

Conallach

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Main Street

BennyHarp

Surely the apocalyptic final scene will show footage of this game to highlight the devastating impact of Jimmy's tenure.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=258552
That was never a square ball!!

J70

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 24, 2016, 11:46:32 PM
Surely the apocalyptic final scene will show footage of this game to highlight the devastating impact of Jimmy's tenure.

27 wides in the game apparently.

Perhaps the standard of player who can shoot when the county boys are not available has a bit to do with it too.

omagh_gael

Quote from: J70 on July 25, 2016, 12:16:29 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 24, 2016, 11:46:32 PM

27 wides in the game apparently.

Perhaps the standard of player who can shoot when the county boys are not available has a bit to do with it too.

That works out around 7 wides per team per half which isn't unusual for a lot of county games never mind club games. Senior teams up and down the country regularly play without county men and I've never heard of such a score.

Would be interesting to do a sample of average scores in senior club leagues up and down the country to see what is happening in counties where this game plan is heavily indoctrinated across all levels.

yellowcard

What is Jimmy's current role at Celtic since Rodgers took over?

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fuzzman

I heard that score on RTE radio 1 last night and I wasn't at all surprised.
Of course I wasn't there and so don't know what the game was like but despite the talk of so many wides you would have to imagine that the defensive style of football the Donegal senior intercounty team play must be also be rife within the clubs.

I remember hearing about when McGuinness first took up managing his home club Naomh Conaill in the Glenties and he took them to their first county final in 40 years beating a highly fancied St Eunans side who were usually top dog year in year out.

He started playing this extremely defensive game which has become known now as the system ever since.
I've met Jim several times and there are very similar traits between him and Mickey Harte with both being very determined, stubborn and ruthless imho. He had to really struggle to become Donegal manager in the first place as many did not want to give him the job and he was offered other jobs but he held out for Donegal.

To me in looks like Jim's hugely effective tactical analysis of our game has led to huge changes in how our games are played today. It certainly brought success to his club, his county and the interest in GAA in Donegal now is huge compared to 5 years ago. The amount of sponsorship being poured into Donegal GAA now is phenomenal and I wonder do the country board and people realise how much the man has done for their county.

Like Harte, McGuinness doesn't care too much what others think of him but in his recent article about the state of the game today and how ugly a spectacle it has become, I think Jim doesn't want to be labelled as the man who killed GAA as we knew it. The recent Ulster final showed us exactly what the "System" has done to our exciting game   and with so many exciting forwards not having time or space to show us their skills any more as mentioned here by Alan Brogan.

Of course there will be those who will defend this system of play if it is bringing them success but for them it's hard to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. It will be interesting to see how this movie portrays Jim but you would say like Harte he has been a success story where he brought good times to teams who were maybe considered the small team at one time. However, I think he will have some regret that the game he played and enjoyed so much as a young man has now been become something ugly and there is no place for the Michael Murphys, Gooch, McManus and maybe the future Jim McGuinness Jnr to weave their magic in Croke park again.