2016 All Stars

Started by ONeill, July 20, 2016, 08:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Quote from: PW Nally on October 04, 2016, 06:04:03 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on October 04, 2016, 04:35:50 PM
Fenton is a much better footballer than MacAuley.
He can actually kick the ball.
McAuley is the footballing equivalent of Paula Radcliffe.

Fenton just glides around the place. Class operator.

Fenton is top quality, a world ahead of MDMA

Hound

Quote from: moysider on October 03, 2016, 10:08:04 PM

How in hell can Clarkie get an All Star now after his manager basically gave him a vote of no confidence.

Mind you he was solid when he came in which says a lot about what he is made of after being dropped for an AI final replay.
If it's journalists who pick them, then I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him get it, so they can show how much more clever than Rochford they are

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 03, 2016, 09:43:23 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 29, 2016, 06:27:24 PM
Current all-star favorites with Paddy power

David Clarke (Mayo)
Johnny Cooper (Dublin)
Philly McMahon (Dublin)
Keith Higgins (Mayo)
Paul Murphy (Kerry)
Cian O Sullivan (Dublin)
Lee Keegan (Mayo)
Gary Brennan (Clare)
Brian Fenton (Dublin)
Ciaran Kilkenny (Dublin)
Aidan O Shea (Mayo)
Diarmuid Connolly (Dublin)
Michael Quinlivan (Tipperary)
Paul Geaney (Kerry)
Kevin McManaman (Dublin)

That's seven for Dublin,four for Mayo,two for Kerry,one each for Tipperary Clare and none for Tyrone.

The favourties for the All-stars now.

David Clarke (Mayo)
Brendan Harrison (Mayo)
Johnny Cooper (Dublin)
Keith Higgins (Mayo)
Lee Keegan (Mayo)
Cian O Sullivan (Dublin)
Colm Boyle (Mayo)
Brian Fenton (Dublin)
Gary Brennan (Clare)
Ciaran Kilkenny (Dublin)
Diarmuid Connolly (Dublin)
Ryan McHugh (Donegal)
Michael Quinlivan (Tippearay)
Paul Geaney (Kerry)
Kevin McManaman (Dublin)

Out goes Philly McMahon,Paul Murphy,Aidan O Shea and in comes Brendan Harrison,Colm Boyle,Ryan McHugh

Footballer of the year will be Brian Fenton going by the odds.
Harte instead of Boyle says the odds now.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: moysider on October 04, 2016, 01:08:25 AM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 04, 2016, 01:01:28 AM
Quote from: moysider on October 04, 2016, 12:48:15 AM
Quote from: ZeitChrist on October 04, 2016, 12:16:38 AM
Keegan is the player of the year but he's too controversial. They bottled it with McMahon last year too because of the controversy around him. They won't give it to a non Dub anyway. Fenton will get it.

Keegan isn't a bit controversial. Takes on the tough assignments and takes it and leaves it behind after. Just shrugged his shoulders the last day after being wrongly carded. Got some of the best scores of the year while mostly playing in a deep defensive role. Not his problem if his excellence was singled out by a craven biased media as something to target. I'm sure though he doesn't give a f**k about these awards either.

I found his reaction to that black card curious. It was like he knew what he was at and got caught in the act.

Dunno. Not a lad to stamp his feet and throw a strop. More like he knew he just had to accept it. He played a lot of rugby where you just take the medicine and don t argue with officials.
He sacrificed  himself for the sake of the team. He knew what he was doing would see him get a black but he went ahead anyway or Dublin would have certainly got a goal.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

dublin7

Quote from: Hound on October 05, 2016, 04:28:05 PM
Quote from: moysider on October 03, 2016, 10:08:04 PM

How in hell can Clarkie get an All Star now after his manager basically gave him a vote of no confidence.

Mind you he was solid when he came in which says a lot about what he is made of after being dropped for an AI final replay.
If it's journalists who pick them, then I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him get it, so they can show how much more clever than Rochford they are

As far as I know it's the journalists who pick the All-Stars but the players definitely pick the player of the year awards.  The journo's would have given it to Philly McMahon last year as he deserved it, but his unpopularity with other players meant Jack McCaffrey got it.

Canalman

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 03, 2016, 02:59:41 PM
Evan Comerford must be in with a shout for goalkeeper. Clarke can't get it now, and Cluxton had a couple of dodgy moments.

Still think Clarke will get the nod but any of the 3 you have mentioned well deserving of an allstar.

After the 2014 allstar goalkeeping award, you cannot really rule anyone definitely in or out.

Some change in recent years when a keeper is judged as much on his kickouts as his goalstopping ability.

seafoid

All Stars Football Nominations

GOALKEEPERS Evan Comerford (Tipperary), Stephen Cluxton (Dublin), David Clarke (Mayo).

DEFENDERS Jonny Cooper (Dublin), Brendan Harrison (Mayo), Keith Higgins (Mayo), Cian O'Sullivan (Dublin), Lee Keegan (Mayo), Colm Boyle (Mayo), Philly McMahon (Dublin), Ryan McHugh (Donegal), Cathal McCarron (Tyrone), John Small (Dublin), Patrick Durcan (Mayo), Shane Enright (Kerry), Declan Kyne (Galway), James McCarthy (Dublin), Kevin McLoughlin (Mayo), Paddy McGrath (Donegal), Robbie Kiely (Tipperary), Killian Young (Kerry).
MIDFIELDERS Brian Fenton (Dublin), Peter Acheson (Tipperary), Matthew Donnelly (Tyrone), Gary Brennan (Clare), Paul Conroy (Galway), Colm Cavanagh (Tyrone).

FORWARDS Ciarán Kilkenny (Dublin), Diarmuid Connolly (Dublin), Dean Rock (Dublin), Kevin McManamon (Dublin), Paul Geaney (Kerry), Michael Quinlivan (Tipperary), Andy Moran (Mayo), Conor Sweeney (Tipperary), Aidan O'Shea (Mayo), Paul Murphy (Kerry), Cillian O'Connor (Mayo), Damien Comer (Galway), Diarmuid O'Connor (Mayo), Peter Harte (Tyrone), Danny Cummins (Galway), Patrick McBrearty (Donegal), Seán Cavanagh (Tyrone), Niall Sludden (Tyrone).

Player of the Year Nominees: Brian Fenton (Dublin), Lee Keegan (Mayo), Ciarán Kilkenny (Dublin).
Young Player of the Year Nominees: Diarmuid O'Connor (Mayo), Josh Keane (Tipperary), Jimmy Feehan (Tipperary)

macdanger2

Not necessarily what I'd pick but what I think will be picked:

Clarke

Harrison
Cooper
McMahon
Keegan
Durcan
Harte

Fenton
Brennan

Connolly
KK
McManamon
Rock
Geaney
Quinlivan

Kyne (for Cooper/McMahon) or Conroy (for Brennan) might get one for Galway

meatsy86

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 06, 2016, 08:40:25 AM
Not necessarily what I'd pick but what I think will be picked:

Clarke

Harrison
Cooper
McMahon
Keegan
Durcan
Harte

Fenton
Brennan

Connolly
KK
McManamon
Rock
Geaney
Quinlivan

Kyne (for Cooper/McMahon) or Conroy (for Brennan) might get one for Galway

Can't have Harte at Half-Back as he is nominated as a Forward.

macdanger2

Didn't realise that, reshuffle so;

Clarke

Harrison
Cooper
McMahon
Keegan
Durcan
Kyne/Enright

Fenton
Donnelly

Connolly
KK
McManamon
Rock
Geaney
Quinlivan

Croí na hÉireann

Harte will get one if he's been picked in the forwards. What I think the journos will go with is:

Clarke

Harrison
Cooper
Enright
Keegan
Durcan
McHugh

Fenton
Brennan

Connolly
KK
Harte
Rock
Geaney
Quinlivan

POTY Fenton
YPOTY Josh Keane
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

ballinaman

How the fcuk did Vaughan not get nominated?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 05, 2016, 05:14:20 PM
Quote from: moysider on October 04, 2016, 01:08:25 AM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 04, 2016, 01:01:28 AM
Quote from: moysider on October 04, 2016, 12:48:15 AM
Quote from: ZeitChrist on October 04, 2016, 12:16:38 AM
Keegan is the player of the year but he's too controversial. They bottled it with McMahon last year too because of the controversy around him. They won't give it to a non Dub anyway. Fenton will get it.

Keegan isn't a bit controversial. Takes on the tough assignments and takes it and leaves it behind after. Just shrugged his shoulders the last day after being wrongly carded. Got some of the best scores of the year while mostly playing in a deep defensive role. Not his problem if his excellence was singled out by a craven biased media as something to target. I'm sure though he doesn't give a f**k about these awards either.

I found his reaction to that black card curious. It was like he knew what he was at and got caught in the act.

Dunno. Not a lad to stamp his feet and throw a strop. More like he knew he just had to accept it. He played a lot of rugby where you just take the medicine and don t argue with officials.
He sacrificed  himself for the sake of the team. He knew what he was doing would see him get a black but he went ahead anyway or Dublin would have certainly got a goal.

I don't think so Lar, if he wanted to take Connolly out of the play all he had to do was just grab his jersey and make sure to let go if Connolly was falling to the ground. It wasn't a black card for me, he didn't pull/drag Connolly down to the ground.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

yellowcard

Clarke
Harrison
Cooper
McMahon
Keegan
O'Sullivan
Durcan
Fenton
Brennan
Harte
Kilkenny
Connolly
Rock
Geaney
Quinlivan

7 Dublin
4 Mayo
1 Kerry
1 Tipp
1 Tyrone
1 Clare

Think that will be near enough the team, O'Sullivan may be touch and go at centre back, could be Boyle/McHugh.

Keegan should be POTY but similar to McMahon last year they won't give it to him. Will be Fenton. Diarmuid O'Connor nailed on for young POTY.