Tír Eoghain vs Maigh Eo AIQF 6/8/2016

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 20, 2016, 08:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryin89

Bringin seanie mac into the equation when talking about Andys quality zzzzzzzz ! Theyre related and thats where it ends
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

screenexile

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/eugene-mcgee-stop-whingeing-and-childishly-blaming-opponents-for-red-cards-34946416.html

For once I agree with McGee . . . "Oh the other team are being too aggressive marking our best player BooHoo"

Mickey Harte's memory isn't too great along with Jim Gavin's as both have sent their players out to do the same to the opposition (think McMenamin & Mossy Quinn, McMahon & Donaghy). Get over yourselves lads if Cavanagh and Connolly can't handle themselves at this stage of their careers then there's something wrong!!!

Christmas Lights

A disappointing day for Tyrone on Saturday, kicked themselves out of it.  Harte I though looked more anxious on the line than I've seen him in a while.  To be honest, I didn't have  a great feeling before the game, Mayo had been completely written off all week but they are a team that Tyrone struggle with. 

Exceptional performances from Peter Harte, Matty D and Sludden.  Tyrones lack of a regular freetaker is shocking.  It seems to be nearly whoever feels like it, hits it.  Ronan ONeill doesn't seem consistent enough or really have the bottle to take them.  Still missing one or two forwards Tyrone.  I think McAliskey could be better if he where maybe given a bit more freedom to be an attacking player.  His game is nearly based all on tackling and working back when really he should be an inside forward who is hungry for scores. 13,14,15 poor for Tyrone on Saturday, FF line I've said is a horrible place to play, maybe moreso in Tyrones style. 

I also think to a degree the way Tyrone play is very difficult to do every match day.  It's so much high energy, so much pressing and its basically running the length of the field nonstop.  There are days on a football field when its going to be flat, no matter what team it is, when boys cant really get the legs going for whatever reason or that supporting man just isn't there, it happens like and it happened on Saturday I felt.  In the end then, with the FF line offering really nothing, Tyrone had no alternative outlet.  The point that Andy Moran got on Saturday in the first half where Dillion played a ball and Oshea just broke it down for Moran who tapped it over is something Tyrone don't really have in their arsenal.  All you need is maybe that option for 2 or 3 balls in a match and to result in a couple of scores.  Its takes a lot of pressure off the runners for a while.

I don't know why Morgan was trying a free from 55 meters either, Tyrone should have just moved that quick and worked the ball in.  I also think McCurry was very greedy going for that last score, he done well to get the interception but he was on the run and could have cut inside and used the ball, they could definitely have worked a score from that position.  I sort of screamed at the TV when he kicked it,  my initial reaction he should have been driving at the goals and working a score as Tyrone has men up at that time. 

rosnarun

can any one explain what tyrone last free was for . O shea was clearly push to the ground when he went down on it . It game Morgan a free straight in front of the goal , but  being stupid or fannying around with the ball killing time,legally, is no excuse for a wrong decision that would have changed the result of the game
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

oakleafgael

Quote from: rosnarun on August 08, 2016, 10:27:29 AM
can any one explain what tyrone last free was for . O shea was clearly push to the ground when he went down on it . It game Morgan a free straight in front of the goal , but  being stupid or fannying around with the ball killing time,legally, is no excuse for a wrong decision that would have changed the result of the game

I didnt think it was a push, O'Shea played for a free and didnt get it. One of the Mayo lads then touched the ball on the ground and threw it away. Throwing the ball away probably won the game for Mayo as the ref moved it forward and Tyrone wasted a good minute bringing the keeper up to take it.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: ZeitChrist on August 08, 2016, 03:07:23 AM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on August 07, 2016, 07:32:56 PM
Post-match analysis is even hard. Tyrone had plenty of chances to win it but yet Mayo were the better team: stronger midfield, big players had big games, experience/cuteness.

Tyrone will be disappointed at the missed chances but I still don't think they have refined their forward play enough yet. This was evident in the Ulster final too where their shots and decision making up front was poor to say the least and Sean Cavanagh ended up getting them out of jail. They could have easily lost that match. The lack of a real free-taker is also very problematic. They desperately need a Cillian O'Connor. Matches are often won and lost on frees especially the deeper you get into the business end of the championship. Tyrone won't win an All-Ireland without a consistent free-taker.
Looking at it overall I thought Mayo were the better team. They were just more clinical in front of the posts and worked hard throughout. The management got it very right as well. The whole team looked very hungry for the win and seemed genuinely relieved at the end. Physically they were the much more imposing side too. At one point I saw O'Shea in full forward with the Tyrone full back and the height disparity alone was almost comical. One gripe I do have is with the fannying about at the end with the passing the ball back and forth. That's kamikaze stuff and could have back fired badly if Tyrone's shooting wasn't so terrible.

I'd agree with that. I think Mayo had that bit more physicality on us and really tried to impose that from early on.

I watched the game back and at 11-11 we had 6 decent scoring opportunities from then on in - McCann, McCarron, McCurry (x2), Morgan and Sludden despite having Cavanagh sent off. I think Mayo might have had one in that time, we had it there, we just weren't efficient enough in front of the goal - apart from the McCann and Morgan efforts they were all chances you need to be taking in those situations. Keegan hit two great scores near the end, Mayo seemed to have the mettle to take them but in typical Mayo fashion they gave the opposition the chances to throw it all away.

On a tactical viewpoint, we have definitely succeeded against Kerry and Mayo in our last two Championship defeats, we have done exactly what we needed to beat them but we just didn't have the composure and mettle to put those chances away. You simply cannot afford to pass up when you are playing against opposition of that standard.

I don't know if we have anyone within the county to convert those. Lee Brennan maybe? I hope Sean Cavanagh gives it another year, he's been the best player in the game over the past 15 years (for my money) and I don't want to see it end on that note. I think we need to mould a target man in the full forward line next year (to give us variety in there), the two most obvious options are Niall McKenna and Danny McNulty but the questions will remain whether they are up to it?

redhandofgod

Tyrone forwards are poor, no marquee forwards at all. no points from play from your full forward line and no right footed free taker....
when teams don't push up on tyrone they have no plan B
Next year, the 2 brennans, McGeary, munroe and burns have to start

redhandofgod

and please tell me that's the end of mcrory, he got skinned CO'C destroyed him and was the difference

Il Bomber Destro

There was a late hit on the Tyrone player after he touched the ball but it seemed like a genuine tackle and I don't think it was a free. I thought the McCurry equaliser (free) at 12-12 was very soft too but Mayo had a few soft ones through the game as well.

The Cavanagh decision was definitely manifested by the earlier foul he made on Higgins where he possibly could have got a booking but he let him off. Once he made the next tackle Gough had his mind made up, Cavanagh was extremely unfortunate though as it wasa genuine tackle on the ball and he tried to pull out when his hand bounced off the ball.

The Trap

It was a frustrating day for Sean as Keegan got on top early...........it would have been a big decision but I felt he either should have been taken off or moved in to full forward.
He was on a yellow and if you remember the ref correctly blew him up for grabbing Keegan's arm and trying to buy a free. He could easily have been given a second yellow for that or even a black as it was deliberate pull down.
Don't think the ref hurt Tyrone at all to be honest.

omagh_gael

Sean wasn't in the game at all and should have been given 10-15 mins in at FF. To be fair to Ronan O'Neill he had no support any time he got the ball so could do feck all.

muppet

omagh-gael it can be very difficult to be objective when commenting on one's own county (especially after a narrow defeat), but hats off to you, you have managed it admirably. I wish more of us could do the same.
MWWSI 2017

rosnarun

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 08, 2016, 10:52:11 AM

There was a late hit on the Tyrone player after he touched the ball but it seemed like a genuine tackle and I don't think it was a free. I thought the McCurry equaliser (free) at 12-12 was very soft too but Mayo had a few soft ones through the game as well.

The Cavanagh decision was definitely manifested by the earlier foul he made on Higgins where he possibly could have got a booking but he let him off. Once he made the next tackle Gough had his mind made up, Cavanagh was extremely unfortunate though as it wasa genuine tackle on the ball and he tried to pull out when his hand bounced off the ball.

hat would make sense but I watched it several time and its not on the tape . O shea got to the ball first , I would have been spitting blood  if he had scored that . both at mayo for getting into the position and then throwing the ball away making it a 'scorable free' but also at ref for giving something he could not possibly have seen.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

blewuporstuffed

I thought the referee was generally OK, although Cavanaghs sending off was very soft.
The first booking was initiated by Keegan and I couldn't see anything Cavanagh did to warrant a yellow card.
Keegan could (should ) have already been in the book for another grappling incident with him in the first half right in front of the linesman, but got away with it, when the referee just spoke to the two of them.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

muppet

Dunno what non-Mayo people make of him on the pitch, but I have to say Lee Keegan is one of the nicest lads you could ever meet.
MWWSI 2017