Tír Eoghain vs Maigh Eo AIQF 6/8/2016

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 20, 2016, 08:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Tyrone need a different system out of Ulster.

omagh_gael

Agree Gonzalo, however, I'm talking about those 'championship' moments when big players step up and deliver. O'Neill had a horror show in front of goals, McAliskey blew another golden goal chance and McCurry fluffed his limes with last shot on goal. Three excellent players but just not in the league of our 03-08 players.

longballin

O'Neill, McGuigan, Mugsy, Canavan, Dooher and that crew were different gravy. Tyrone team has been hyped up a bit much

joemamas

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 07, 2016, 02:43:42 AM
Not long home, bitterly disappointed with how things panned out. Huge congratulations to Mayo, always give it a 100% on the pitch and backed by a great bunch of supporters.

Two things leave a bitter taste in my mouth. Firstly, the ridiculousness of our free taking set up and how this is crucifying us and secondly this shite some of our defenders are at. Ronan McNamee has to take a long hard look at himself after the bullshit I witnessed in the first half in front of me. He made a great dispossession of AoS when first ball came in but made a total dick of himself with his actions afterwards. I really struggle to understand what advantage he thinks he gains from it. Does he really think the forward Will cower away for the remainder of the game? Justy McMahon is another serial offender and is one of the most civil lads you could meet off the pitch. I help coach the u-6s in my local club and if I saw them at that when they were older I'd haul them off immediately and give them a kick up the hole.

Lots to discuss but needed to get that off my chest. Really do hope the Mayo bucks go on and win the thing. However, watching the dubs afterwards doesn't fill me with confidence.

Refreshing honesty.
None of that crap has any part in any game.
The shit that a lot of Dublin defenders is at is sickening to say the least. It is actually disgusting.
I wonder do any the offenders realize there is life after football and how it impacts their reputation or are they just stupid.

Mikhailov

Quote from: Gonzalo15 on August 07, 2016, 02:31:42 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on August 07, 2016, 11:01:01 AM
I have to say that Niall Sludden was fantastic yesterday, always looked like creating something, just unfortunate that no one (outside of Matty Donnelly and Petey Harte) were at his level.

Our system will get us so far but having one man up front requires a special player to pull it off. Pains me to say it but Ronan O'Neill's performance has answered a lot of questions. It appears that the cruciate injury he got has taken the edge of his pace and against the top defenders he's ineffective. His long range shooting and distance free taking on the big stage just isn't there. Don't like to come down on individuals but McAliskey and McCurry don't appear to be the answer either. That extra 5% that separates good Full forwards from great ones hasn't been available to us when the big game moments come. Our hopes next year lie with Lee Brennan, a lot of responsibility to shoulder for such a young lad. What other options do we have?

Although oneill and mccaliskey were poor yesterday you have to empathise with being a full forward in tyrones system. Extremely tiring/demoralising being the only man up with 5 defenders around you and not getting the ball kicked in

The system didn't seem to effect Mayo inside line who were capable of winning ball against Tyrone mass defence. Our inside line are just not capable of winning ball and going past their man with pace.

Again free kicking was our downfall - AGAIN !!!!

TF15

Peter Harte and Mattie Donnelly are good enough to be mentioned alongside them men you mentioned longballin but they need the supporting cast to be better, in particular the rest of the forward division. Until we get a serious top level inside man and free taker we'll just keep being thereabouts but not winning Sam. We're not a million miles away but the last bits needed to make Tyrone all Ireland winners are the hardest to find.

Mac2

We ground out the win but the play acting at the end deserved to be punished, a man and a point up we should have been more positive. Defence was a lot stickier than usual, the right decision was made to drop Keane, a disaster waiting to happen, too slow and fouls far too much. Unconvinced about the contribution of Dillon, he got a lot of ball but apart from the long ball into O'Shea, he had two awful efforts at scores. Doherty did little either and picked up a needless yellow and seemed to be petulant in general.  Boyle's score before half-time was magic, it was one of those scores that drives a team on. Our defence is in much better shape especially with Higgins back but up front is still a worry, we need more from the likes of Doherty and McLoughlin when he pushes forward.
It wasn't one of Cavanagh's best days in a Tyrone jersey but he's entitled to that, has any man scored more crucial scores for his team over the last 15 years.

BennyHarp

Quote from: TF15 on August 07, 2016, 03:06:23 PM
Peter Harte and Mattie Donnelly are good enough to be mentioned alongside them men you mentioned longballin but they need the supporting cast to be better, in particular the rest of the forward division. Until we get a serious top level inside man and free taker we'll just keep being thereabouts but not winning Sam. We're not a million miles away but the last bits needed to make Tyrone all Ireland winners are the hardest to find.

This is fair comment. I wonder should we had a play worked in training to get Matty or Peter on the ball in a scenario where we get a free outside our 50m line. For the last free that Morgan kicked,  we really should have had prepared for such a scenario and got either of the lads on the ball in shooting distance. Also, I wonder why Richie wasn't used, much more capable of kicking a point than most of the others.
That was never a square ball!!

Stall the Bailer

Quote from: mrhardyannual on August 06, 2016, 11:07:52 PM
I thought Rochford and Co got there calls right today to a huge degree. Didn't see Alan Dillon starting and he had a great half, intelligently finding space. Andy continued from last game..won nearly every ball kicked in to him. Harrison continues to grow in the position and Keith was at home. Leave him there. AOS was immense and COC continues to return to form. Parsons added enormously in second half. I was a bit disappointed that we started keep ball towards the end but have been more disappointed in the past when we gave ball away through reckless shooting and lost as a result.

We were sitting among Tyrone crowd and neither ourselves or Tyrone fans were overly happy with Mr Gough and the banter was great. Since I stopped believing that I can fairly judge a ref when Mayo are playing, I guess this means he wasn't too bad ( though I dont know yet why he pulled on Clarke's kick-out).
I hope you weren't one of the Mayo fans sitting behind me, roaring like a herd of cattle standing in the mart all day. The free was for the Mayo players not being outside the 20m line before the kick-out. He kick-out before should also have been hopped for the same reason. It is one thing that should be punished more as lot of the short kick-outs fall foul to it. Its pity some fans wouldn't learn the rules before booing, slabbering, mooing to the ref.

From the Bunker

Zinedine proud to wear his county colours!

omagh_gael

Tyrone had a free out on the right under the Hogan in second half. Peter Harte knew the score, he played a quick one two and slotted over from play. We really should be trying these more often. Our continuous free kick woes rip the arse out of us and give the opposition a boost every time.

Ritchie had to be injured? There's no way Harte would have left him on the bench in that game.

barelegs

Richie Donnelly ran up and down the sideline warming up for what seemed like the whole afternoon. Odd that he wasn't brought on at all.

Il Bomber Destro

Very disappointing result and our performance just lacked what was needed. I didn't think either side hit the levels they can but Mayo just had that bit more composure in the second half.

I don't like picking on individuals in terms of scapegoating but Cathal McShane is nowhere near ready for this level yet, his decision making is deplorable and the amount of times he shoots from ridiculous angles when he should have been looking at keeping the ball and working an opening was simply unforgivable, he should have been hooked a lot earlier as he was a liability and I think this was a big error on Mickey's part.

I also thought McCurry should have started over O'Neill on the basis of the impact he made in a few games previously.

Overall the same things that cost against Kerry last year cost us again this year, our long distance frees were 0/4 and we had a brilliant goal chance through McAliskey and another half chance with the one the ball over the top he was an inch or two away from getting a hand to in the first half. We got nothing out of those opportunities and that's why we are out.

Seemed to be plenty of needle in it from both sets of players.

Cavanagh's first yellow card was an absolute joke and his second was harsh as his hand seemed to move up from the ball. Lee Keegan has plenty of high profile previous in his underhand tactics in targeting opposition players, it doesn't really seem to get that much attention in the way guys like Neil McGee, Ryan McMenamin etc have got in their career which I think tells you all you need know about media balance and motive.

criostlinn

Can somebody tell me what did Lee Keegan do to Sean Kavanagh which "instigated" the wrestling match. I know Saint Mickey didn't see it but has decided that Keegan was the instigator and all the faithful seem to be following this line, but can someone actually tell me what he did.

Maybe, just maybe Sean was getting such a cleaning by Keegan that he decided Keegan getting a yellow would result in him having an easier second half.

Wildweasel74

Cavanagh has got many a man carded in the past with diving antics so yesterday seemed a case of just desserts, maybe if Tyrone all played football like Peter Harte and Mattie Donnelly instead of mouthing like McMahon, McCarron, McNamee constantly maybe Tyrone would go somewhere. Donegal with the McGee`s be in the same boat too

Problem with the manager who must condone this behaviour cause hes the only one can eradicate it. The negative system Tyrone brings to the table also plays against them as it holding very good footballers back, Meyler must be way of the pace, cause he should been coming on yesterday.