Tír Eoghain vs Maigh Eo AIQF 6/8/2016

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 20, 2016, 08:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Sludden excellent yesterday. Surely McCurry is better than O'Neill. Would Mc Shane not be an option at FF??

Fear ón Srath Bán

Agreed re Sludden yesterday, outstanding. Agree too that we're missing that Cillian O'Connor equivalent, we badly need someone with that composure and class in front of the posts.

Not sure about Mc Shane at FF, but probably well worth a try.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fuzzman

Congrats Mayo. They came with a plan how to deal with us and we were very predictable. It felt like the first half of the Ulster final where you keep waiting for Tyrone to kick on and do something significant. We just seemed to conservative and fearful with no pace, bravery, players running ahead of the ball.
Some of the lesser teams fall for our play on the break style of play but the better teams can deal with it now and so we have no plan B. When you win playing this style of football you turn a blind eye to it's ugly spectacle but when you lose you wonder why do you bother watching it any more.

Forwards and good freetakers win these tight matches and we had neither yesterday. Playing in Div 1 next year will help us but I think if Mickey keeps focusing so much on defence then our forward play will not develop much.

Gold

Quote from: SkillfulBill on August 06, 2016, 11:52:58 PM
Firstly congratulations to Mayo. It was a poor enough game and I felt Mayo found it easier to get their scores. Tyrone are missing a free taker and at least 2 top quality forwards. I would really fear for what Mayo have ahead of them when they most likely will face the Dubs in September could get a real hammering. I am almost happy enough that Tyrone won't be facing them. Any way best of luck to Mayo.

Agree with all
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

rrhf

Fcuk it does!!  Very disappointing but congrats to Mayo. Had better footballers and more effective set of tactics. Tyrone just didn't perform but were second best.

Mike Tyson

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 07, 2016, 11:01:01 AM
I have to say that Niall Sludden was fantastic yesterday, always looked like creating something, just unfortunate that no one (outside of Matty Donnelly and Petey Harte) were at his level.

Our system will get us so far but having one man up front requires a special player to pull it off. Pains me to say it but Ronan O'Neill's performance has answered a lot of questions. It appears that the cruciate injury he got has taken the edge of his pace and against the top defenders he's ineffective. His long range shooting and distance free taking on the big stage just isn't there. Don't like to come down on individuals but McAliskey and McCurry don't appear to be the answer either. That extra 5% that separates good Full forwards from great ones hasn't been available to us when the big game moments come. Our hopes next year lie with Lee Brennan, a lot of responsibility to shoulder for such a young lad. What other options do we have?

Why was he not playing this year? Injured?

trileacman

There's been more disappointing days to be honest. Won Ulster and got promoted. At this stage were in that subset of teams below Dublin with Kerry and Mayo. And us 3 are pretty evenly matched, there was only really a kick of a ball between the teams yesterday. Getting put out by cork and Meath teams with half the credentials of this Mayo team was more disappointing.

I know Mcnamee's antics can be hard to watch but most teams have one or two players in such a vein. Look at keegan yesterday who dragged Kavanagh round the pitch yesterday and contributed to him getting sent off. He done the same trick last year on Connolly and Connolly befell the same fate yesterday too with a 1st yellow card for being dragged into a row. It's a pity refs are so predictable and easy to manipulate. We see the same dives and antics produce the same reaction from the referee year in year out.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Kurtz

If Tyrone had a free taker they would be facing Tipp in two weeks

omagh_gael

Quote from: Mike Tyson on August 07, 2016, 12:07:53 PM
I have to say that Niall Sludden was fantastic yesterday, always looked like creating something, just unfortunate that no one (outside of Matty Donnelly and Petey Harte) were at his level.

Our system will get us so far but having one man up front requires a special player to pull it off. Pains me to say it but Ronan O'Neill's performance has answered a lot of questions. It appears that the cruciate injury he got has taken the edge of his pace and against the top defenders he's ineffective. His long range shooting and distance free taking on the big stage just isn't there. Don't like to come down on individuals but McAliskey and McCurry don't appear to be the answer either. That extra 5% that separates good Full forwards from great ones hasn't been available to us when the big game moments come. Our hopes next year lie with Lee Brennan, a lot of responsibility to shoulder for such a young lad. What other options do we have?

Why was he not playing this year? Injured?

As far as I know he's been part of the senior squad but hasn't been named in any of the match day squads. Anyone know if he has been carrying injuries?

On a separate note, Conor McKenna scored some goal for the bombers last night. Oh to have him in at FF yesterday!

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 07, 2016, 11:13:50 AM
Quote from: seafoid on August 07, 2016, 10:38:33 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 07, 2016, 09:57:53 AM
Good performance yesterday from Mayo. Nothing vintage, but god are we a hard team to beat? Mickey Harte got a bit of the run-around tactically from Rochford yesterday. Starting Dillon and dropping Keane caught him completely off guard. In fairness, Mickey team has a lot of players still growing as footballers and yesterday was another big test for them. This is a hard defeat for this Tyrone group, they were really looking at minimum an All Ireland final this year. Mickey has Tyrone so disciplined and a decent system, that he can get an average group of players to Quarter finals and Semi finals year in year out. The next step is the hardest. Believe me Mayo know all about their next step, which is another step up and has been beyond this group so far. Hard to know if Harte is the Man anymore. There seems to be an Arsne Wenger feel to him. Past glories are keeping him untouchable and he seems to be an eternity building. Like Wenger qualifying for the Champions League, Mickey almost guarantees August football for Tyrone year in year out but no more!

Although we won yesterday - Just! I would not lose the run of ourselves and most won't in fairness. We have been here the last 5 years - All Ireland semi final numbers 6 in a row (8 semi-finals if you count replays)! We are back to dreaming again, but we have problems all over the place. Still great to be involved.
Boylan won all Irelands in 87 and 88 and built a new team in 96. I wouldn't drop Harte yet.
I hope Rochford can give Mayo that winning belief.

Not saying that Harte should go. Just he seems presently to be going around in circles. Ulster title was needed this year. And they got it. Unlucky with QF draw. Mayo was not the team to meet at this stage.
If Mayo had won Connacht they would have had an easier qf

Norf Tyrone

Taking to a Trillick man who'd know, Lee Brennan just wasn't getting picked. No reason.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

moysider

Quote from: seafoid on August 07, 2016, 12:38:26 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 07, 2016, 11:13:50 AM
Quote from: seafoid on August 07, 2016, 10:38:33 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 07, 2016, 09:57:53 AM
Good performance yesterday from Mayo. Nothing vintage, but god are we a hard team to beat? Mickey Harte got a bit of the run-around tactically from Rochford yesterday. Starting Dillon and dropping Keane caught him completely off guard. In fairness, Mickey team has a lot of players still growing as footballers and yesterday was another big test for them. This is a hard defeat for this Tyrone group, they were really looking at minimum an All Ireland final this year. Mickey has Tyrone so disciplined and a decent system, that he can get an average group of players to Quarter finals and Semi finals year in year out. The next step is the hardest. Believe me Mayo know all about their next step, which is another step up and has been beyond this group so far. Hard to know if Harte is the Man anymore. There seems to be an Arsne Wenger feel to him. Past glories are keeping him untouchable and he seems to be an eternity building. Like Wenger qualifying for the Champions League, Mickey almost guarantees August football for Tyrone year in year out but no more!

Although we won yesterday - Just! I would not lose the run of ourselves and most won't in fairness. We have been here the last 5 years - All Ireland semi final numbers 6 in a row (8 semi-finals if you count replays)! We are back to dreaming again, but we have problems all over the place. Still great to be involved.
Boylan won all Irelands in 87 and 88 and built a new team in 96. I wouldn't drop Harte yet.
I hope Rochford can give Mayo that winning belief.

Not saying that Harte should go. Just he seems presently to be going around in circles. Ulster title was needed this year. And they got it. Unlucky with QF draw. Mayo was not the team to meet at this stage.
If Mayo had won Connacht they would have had an easier qf

Begobs Galway did some damage this Summer to be sure.
Ruined Mayo's run of Connachts.
Then they destroyed Roscommon.
After that they lied down and died.
Now as it transpired by beating Mayo they fucked Tyrone up as well and deprived them of a semi spot.

barelegs

Well done to Mayo yesterday. Just a little more composed and clinical in front of goal.

Tyrone were just too predictable. I thought Rochford had his homework done fairly well on Tyrone especially early on with  Alan Dillon in particular being used to good effect from kick outs, finding space as Justin McMahon dropped back to sweep.

The one thing that annoyed me about Tyrone in the Ulster final and yesterday was the unwillingness to mix the game up. The one time we did kick over the top to McAliskey or O'Neill we had the games only real goal chance.

In saying all that we had more than enough chances to win the game, there just wasn't enough composure in front of goals. There's always next year...

The Golden Years

Gonzalo15

Although oneill and mccaliskey were poor yesterday you have to empathise with being a full forward in tyrones system. Extremely tiring/demoralising being the only man up with 5 defenders around you and not getting the ball kicked in