Tír Eoghain vs Maigh Eo AIQF 6/8/2016

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 20, 2016, 08:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

James Horan very confident of a Mayo win today in the paper as well. He said they need to stop Sean Cavanagh winning frees. Thought that was bit strange, as I don't remember him winning frees being a factor in any of Tyrone's wins this year.

omagh_gael

Quote from: heffo on August 04, 2016, 12:23:40 PM
Tyrone have returned 1,000 Hill tickets this morning

That's odd as a message went around our club this morning that if you don't collect your ticket between 6pm and 7pm it will be redistributed as there's a large reserve list within the club.

twohands!!!

Quote from: ONeill on August 04, 2016, 01:17:25 PM
So Eoin Liston says Mayo are definitely beating Tyrone. Mayo will be favourites before throw in. Can't see us winning this.

Tyrone it is so.

Tyrone are the definition of hard beat and Mayo are the sort of team that would give a team of corpses a live chance.

I'll be absolutely gobsmacked if Mayo manage to win this.

AMayoFan

Quote from: twohands!!! on August 04, 2016, 03:15:17 PM
Quote from: ONeill on August 04, 2016, 01:17:25 PM
So Eoin Liston says Mayo are definitely beating Tyrone. Mayo will be favourites before throw in. Can't see us winning this.

Tyrone it is so.

Tyrone are the definition of hard beat and Mayo are the sort of team that would give a team of corpses a live chance.

I'll be absolutely gobsmacked if Mayo manage to win this.

I think that's a little harsh on Mayo, though I do agree that Tyrone will prevail on Saturday .. we barely scrap by yous last time we met and we were in a far better shape back then.  The problem for us at the moment is that we are in the process of learning new system and its not clicking.  Tyrone know there system and its clicking very well. 

omagh_gael

For the craic I went back and watched the highlights of Mayo v Dublin last year. Amazing how close Mayo were to winning that match and they should have kicked on and put the Dubs to the sword in the last quarter (although how many times could you say the same thing about Mayo over the years???)

https://youtu.be/G1qSQWz01NM

They have been running on dirty petrol all year and it will be no surprise if the pull out a huge performance on Saturday evening.

ONeill

Yes I think the euphoria of the Ulster Final has worn off and pundits/experts are siding with Mayo now. That's probably a bit of pressure to be honest and I hope it doesn't get to the Westerners. 31 counties are willing them on.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

AMayoFan

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 04, 2016, 03:29:20 PM
For the craic I went back and watched the highlights of Mayo v Dublin last year. Amazing how close Mayo were to winning that match and they should have kicked on and put the Dubs to the sword in the last quarter (although how many times could you say the same thing about Mayo over the years???)

https://youtu.be/G1qSQWz01NM

They have been running on dirty petrol all year and it will be no surprise if the pull out a huge performance on Saturday evening.

From Mayo perspective that's our big hope i.e. there is this grand plan at play!  We're clinging on to hope that we've been holding out until this weekend. So Saturday will show if indeed that is the case. Though for me, I'm not as sure ... match against Westmeath did show some slick movement and the guys definitely held back to save themselves, but an awful lot of bad play is still present, and allot of runs / plays amounted to ball being turned over.

Tyrone last 10 mins against Donegal was class!  Those are the times when you get to see the turn colours of individuals, brave in there attempts at scores and the never stop fighting mentality.   

BTW - Who will be the refer?

omagh_gael

Amayofan, Conor Gough from Meath is down to ref it. I think he looks like a ref going places. Reffed our first game very well against Cavan.

On the subject of 'dirty petrol.' Can teams consciously hold back in a series of games and turn it on for the big occasion. They're are plenty of examples out there but how much of that is down to a gutteral drive to win as opposed to a planned approach to take it handy through back door and press the turbo in Croker?

Chimley

This is most likely the end of our Summer unless we up our performance to the level of this time last year. I'm not so sure that we can though and the loss of Cafferkey is going to be felt from here on. I'd be worried about DOC as he missed the last game with a 'dead leg' that happened in the Kildare match two weeks previously. Now if it didn't come right in two weeks, there's no guarantee it will in three either. He is pivotal to our chances.
Tyrone have a stack of fresh hungry young players and winning breeds confidence. A big test for Mayo and it will be interesting to see what sort of fight we put up.

Fuzzman

Always good to hear from the other camp so I listened to this podcast from the Mayonews on the game.
https://soundcloud.com/themayonews

They seem to be talking down Mayo's performances so far this year and how their aim like Kerry and Dublin were to get to the 1/4 final stage with as little effort as possible. It's all about here on in and this is where those big teams turn on their A game. It could be true and I know what they mean but it's a big ask to suddenly turn on that tap and expect it all to come good but we know Mayo have that in their armoury. Patience will be vital for Mayo I believe as I can see us approaching this game a bit like the Kerry game in 2003 where we try to limit their scoring chances to a minimum with a ferocious workrate of tackling just inside our own half. If Mayo try to force their attacks too quickly I believe will get get turned over time and time again.

The lads talk about Tyrone playing Joe McMahon shows that they really don't know much about how this Tyrone team is set up. I can't see Joe anywhere near getting a game this year unless we get some injuries.
Tyrone have a habit of marking the star players out of the game when they need to and since Justy and Colm Cav have been sitting in around the D then we look less likely to concede goals.

How do you Mayo lads see your team getting scores? Do you think they will go for high ball into your FF line or will they play a running possession game, probing for an opening like Donegal did? I expect Tyrone to give you your own kickouts if ye want to take them short but I suspect ye will kick some long.
Looking forward to hearing the team tonight. I have a feeling Brennan and McCurry will start with RoN and McNabb missing out. Brennan more likely to kick far out points that McNabb.

I wonder who Donegal and Dublin will be cheering for? I'd say Jim Gavin will be keen to watch as much of it as he can.

Irishnews lads view here. http://www.irishnews.com/photos/videodiaries/2016/08/04/news/video---andy-and-cahair-on-tyrone-v-mayo-637147/

muppet

I don't think a team can pick it up late on in the season. I think this is one of the reasons defending champions find it so hard to retain their titles.

As for our scores, Cillian has been shooting from much farther out this year, than we are used to seeing and DOC was shooting on sight when he played. His success rate has fallen as a result, but it could be a sign of the thinking from here in.

3 possible strategies for scores:

1) Big man inside;
2) Runners from the wings;
3) Best shooters around the 45m line shooting on sight.

MWWSI 2017

No wides

Quote from: ONeill on August 04, 2016, 03:34:27 PM
Yes I think the euphoria of the Ulster Final has worn off and pundits/experts are siding with Mayo now. That's probably a bit of pressure to be honest and I hope it doesn't get to the Westerners. 31 counties are willing them on.

Dear God, for all my years following football I have never known Ulster counties not to back their own, but listening to the likse of you and your shite, you do make it difficult.

yellowcard

Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 04, 2016, 02:03:42 PM
James Horan very confident of a Mayo win today in the paper as well. He said they need to stop Sean Cavanagh winning frees. Thought that was bit strange, as I don't remember him winning frees being a factor in any of Tyrone's wins this year.

I think Horan is a bit like McGuinness, he seems to like putting pressure on his county a bit like McGuinness before Brolly rightfully pulled him up for it. If I remember right he dissed Galways chances prior to them playing Mayo as well. God forbid but I think he must be afraid that Mayo might actually achieve something under somebody else's watch. As for Cavanagh, your right he has won very few free kicks this year. 

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Chimley on August 04, 2016, 05:27:56 PM
This is most likely the end of our Summer unless we up our performance to the level of this time last year. I'm not so sure that we can though and the loss of Cafferkey is going to be felt from here on. I'd be worried about DOC as he missed the last game with a 'dead leg' that happened in the Kildare match two weeks previously. Now if it didn't come right in two weeks, there's no guarantee it will in three either...

Apparently he got a knock on the very same spot just before the Westmeath game, hence the reluctance to give him a run out.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.