Farrandeelin

Quote from: moysider on August 03, 2016, 12:43:41 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 02, 2016, 08:53:32 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on August 02, 2016, 08:26:38 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 02, 2016, 07:57:44 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 02, 2016, 06:50:29 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on August 02, 2016, 05:37:39 PM
Yellowcard what county man are you?

Most worrying aspect to reading all the analysis /predictions on this game is not one neutral on tv/radio/paper fancies our bucks to pull off thier sixth q/f victory on the bounce.
The experts tend to congregate. I wouldn't pay much attention to them.

Agreed. In fact it worries me that they all think Tyrone will win.

They must be reading the comments of the Tyrone posters here. They must be getting carried away with all the hype that is telling us that a team who conceded 18 points to a tired Kerry team last year has suddenly turned into the most formidable defensive unit ever assembled.

Mayo lads on here were talking of 3 in a row All Irelands a few years ago.

Yep. That was probably me - and me only! And only for a craven ref. and that Limerick charade I probably would have been right!
I clearly stated that I thought we would lose 3 AIs in a row which we probably would have if we had got over Kerry. Not a bad call after losing the 2012 one. You can spin it another way if you want of course if it makes you feel better about next weekend. But I m sure you know the difference between predicting getting to and losing 3 AIs and actually winning them!! Actually, with a stable management set-up last 6 years, we could be going for a five in a row of losses! Now that consistency.
Handy I remember that too moy. You were so nearly correct. :-\
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

macdanger2

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on August 03, 2016, 12:29:25 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on August 02, 2016, 10:52:16 PM
But but Donegal could of easily have won the ulster final. I can understand the upward trajectory context about tyrone, its just hard to fathom why public opinion is so high on tyrone and so negative about Donegal.

If we beat tyrone how do people explain it ? Im being genuine when i ask this . People are leaving out one equation when predicting this game and thats the part that annoys a little. If mayo have been holding back and are about to unleash a monster of a game like 14/15 level we will beat Tyrone imo. Its a big if obviously but i do believe it should be followed by a tyrone win prediction.

2 point winning margin maybe doesn't tell the whole story as far as that point is concerned. A feature of Donegal's wins over Tyrone in recent years was them taking control of the game in the second half. Tyrone wilted in those games, they couldn't cope when Donegal kicked (or indeed, handpassed) on for home. This year Donegal had Tyrone just where they wanted them at half-time, 3 points down and looking all at sea even earlier than in the previous games. Couple of key men black carded too. Donegal came out and hit a point straight away. From there on in Tyrone outscored them 0-9 to 0-3. Donegal looked the lost team at times in the half. A very dramatic transformation from the last few games and one that you would think would energise Tyrone and could demoralise Donegal.

For what it's worth I do think Tyrone are overhyped based on what they have done so far, the media want somebody to offer Dublin  a challenge so Tyrone are being talked up.

Tyrone's response to being 4 down at ht to Donegal was impressive, many teams would have accepted the inevitable

ZeitChrist

Just heard Oisin McConville on the Second Captains podcast virtually writing Mayo off and suggesting the weekend's games won't be as competitive as people are hoping or thinking. He was verging on dismissive. I would be very surprised if Tyrone walked this. They appear to be in a better position to win the match than Mayo based on current form, but I still think they'll have a fight on their hands.

never kickt a ball

I'll guess this team:  8)

1 – Niall Morgan – Éadan na dTorc
2 – Aidan McCrory – Aireagal Chiaráin
3 – Ronan McNamee – Achadh Uí Aráin
4 – Cathal McCarron – An Droim Mór
5 – Tiernan McCann – Coill an Chlochair
6 – Justin McMahon – An Omaigh
7 – Peter Harte – Aireagal Chiaráin
8 – Colm Cavanagh – An Mhaigh
9 – Mattie Donnelly – Trí Leac
10 – Cathal McShane – Eoghan Ruadh Uí Néill
11 – Niall Sludden – An Droim Mór
12 – Ronan McNabb – An Droim Mór
13 – Connor McAliskey – Cluain Eo
14 – Sean Cavanagh (c) – An Mhaigh
15 – Ronan O'Neill – An Omaigh

Fuzzman

Lot of thought went into that selection I'd say never kicked.
Up til 2am or are you overseas?
I can see RoN losing out this time.

http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/28288-mayo-must-go-for-it-against-tyrone-says-billy-joe-padden

omagh_gael

I've heard a number of people suggest that Ronan O'Neill could be under pressure for a starting spot but I think Mickey will give him another shot. No full forward gets much joy out of the Donegal blanket and he had a thankless task. Mayo will have McLaughlin back sweeping but there'll be more room in there for the FF to work. Like above, I think Mickey will start the team that started in the Ulster final.

On a separate note, does anyone know the craic with Frank Burns? No sign of him this year at all. I was of the opinion that'd he'd be one of the first u-21s to make the breakthrough

square_ball

I think that will be the team named to start with a late change of Rory brennan in for cathal mcshane to possibly keep an eye on keegan? I'm a fan of cathal mcshane think he does a lot of hard work so it would be harsh enough to drop him. Or else I'm talking nonsense and mcshane will start!

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 03, 2016, 08:54:06 AM
I've heard a number of people suggest that Ronan O'Neill could be under pressure for a starting spot but I think Mickey will give him another shot. No full forward gets much joy out of the Donegal blanket and he had a thankless task. Mayo will have McLaughlin back sweeping but there'll be more room in there for the FF to work. Like above, I think Mickey will start the team that started in the Ulster final.

On a separate note, does anyone know the craic with Frank Burns? No sign of him this year at all. I was of the opinion that'd he'd be one of the first u-21s to make the breakthrough

He has failed to score from play in his last two games and McCurry has made impressive contributions coming in so its natural he is under pressure. I'd like to see Richie Donnelly in for McShane as they are very similar in style but Richie is more polished at this point.

Unlaoised

Quote from: ZeitChrist on August 03, 2016, 01:57:01 AM
Just heard Oisin McConville on the Second Captains podcast virtually writing Mayo off and suggesting the weekend's games won't be as competitive as people are hoping or thinking. He was verging on dismissive. I would be very surprised if Tyrone walked this. They appear to be in a better position to win the match than Mayo based on current form, but I still think they'll have a fight on their hands.

I think Oisin is 100% right Tyrone by 4 plus ....Dublin by 6 plus!
LAOIS ABÚ

WT4E

Quote from: Unlaoised on August 03, 2016, 10:25:28 AM
Quote from: ZeitChrist on August 03, 2016, 01:57:01 AM

I think Oisin is 100% right Tyrone by 4 plus ....Dublin by 6 plus!

I heard him on Sunday morning on the radio saying that he though Mayo would win as Tyrone aren't as good as people think! Make up your mind awwwwsheeeen!

WT4E

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 03, 2016, 09:33:21 AM
Quote from: omagh_gael on August 03, 2016, 08:54:06 AM

He has failed to score from play in his last two games and McCurry has made impressive contributions coming in so its natural he is under pressure. I'd like to see Richie Donnelly in for McShane as they are very similar in style but Richie is more polished at this point.

I thought it was kinda of an understood thing now that McCurry is our key impact sub?

I'd start him every game but think Harte is using him as an option for defenses are tried as Dublin have those options of the bench!

Fuzzman

All year the neutrals and media have been hyping Tyrone as they are hoping for someone new to challenge the Dubs.
Winning Div 2 and now Ulster has added fuel to that fire but of course it sets us up for a big fall.
Some would say we could have beaten Kerry in last year's semifinal had we taken our goal chances but others would say Kerry had another gear.
Most honest Tyrone fans would say we've definitely improved both defensively and in attack so that's why we feel so hopeful of getting to the final. However, we are well aware Mayo can lift their performance and came close to beating Dublin last year. They haven't been setting the world on fire so far this year and this is the reason I think the media have been playing down their chances v Tyrone. The media and neutral would probably rather see a Dub v Tyrone final and that's why all the Tyrone hype.
To me Mayo are in the ideal position psychologically before this game as they now have a point to prove that they should be favourites. Otherwise they could have underestimated this Tyrone team and been thinking of an easy enough semi prize.
I remember how I felt in 2004 as AI champions expecting to beat Mayo in the 1/4 final. We need to make sure they don't get early goals.

Thy Kingdom Come

I have been looking for a while at this thread. I cannot understand all the hype around Tyrone. Where is the big result that makes this team so great? Is it that they won the McKenna Cup? Is it that they won Division two of the League? Is it that they took two games to get past Cavan shipping 5 goals in the process? Is it that they just beat a Donegal side in Transition? Is it that Peter Cavanan thinks they are Number 2 (no pun intended  ;D ) in Ireland? The media are looking for a new Darling of Gaelic football. They are looking for a story. Galway looked like they could offer a story, and Tipp story will surely end in the semi-finals

The Cavan drawn game would never have happened to the Donegals, Kerry's or Dublins when they were coming of age. A meticulously put together defense, to which this teams is supposed to be back boned shipping 3 goals.

Anyway for my part - I can see no other winner other than Mayo. The stage is set for them. Take no head of their travels through the back-door. With the games coming around so quick, teams play within themselves. When I look at both squads I see at least double the amount of leaders on the Mayo team as to Tyrone. Believe me Tyrone have their leaders, just not as many.

redhandofgod

Thy Kingdom Come - The great Tyrone team of 2003 conceded 4 goals in the drawn ulster final with Down, but sure we know how that year finished ;-)