Tír Eoghain vs Maigh Eo AIQF 6/8/2016

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 20, 2016, 08:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 02, 2016, 12:48:35 AM
Quote from: ZeitChrist on August 02, 2016, 12:19:24 AM
Mayo had a spread of 9 different scorers against Westmeath. That's much better than what we're used to seeing from them when Cillian O'Connor was shouldering most of the scoring responsibilities.
A key feature of this Mayo group of players since 2012 has been a big spread of scorers and some games has had 12 or 13 different Mayo scorers.

Don't be getting carried away!
That was never a square ball!!

imtommygunn

Dunno why but i just get a feeling mayo will win this. All this talk of previous form means nothing i think. They were caught cold by Galway and were never going to lose their other games. The real stuff starts now.

Would probably prefer Tyrone to win it but just not sure they have it yet.

Harte is more HF though is he not so if Higgins plays up front then wouldn't mark him? I think Tyrone really need to learn from the damage Ryan McHugh did the last day though to be fair he is turning into a great player which mayo might not have as good as in that area.

While tyrone only won by a point when they closed the McHugh gap then Donegal couldn't break them down at all apart from the odd McNiallis point. Interesting game in store I think. I think Dublin could steamroll donegal so this would be game of weekend...

criostlinn

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 02, 2016, 10:04:50 AM
Mayo had a spread of 9 different scorers against Westmeath. That's much better than what we're used to seeing from them when Cillian O'Connor was shouldering most of the scoring responsibilities.
A key feature of this Mayo group of players since 2012 has been a big spread of scorers and some games has had 12 or 13 different Mayo scorers.

Don't be getting carried away!

It was actually 14 in one game but anyway back to how great Tyrone are

Mayo4Sam

Am I the only one that thinks Mayo have done what they had to do so far in the qualifiers and have never looked like losing any of the three games?

The Galway game I think after 10 mins of the second half they were thinking who would mark which of the roscommon players, switched off when the game was in the bag and then couldn't come out of it.

A good start on Saturday and I don't see us doing the same thing because we're unlikely to get 12 points ahead but also this game will be a lot higher intensity, it'll make it easier to be switched on

Tyrone were impressive up to the Ulster final but Donegal should have won that, they had a stone wall 13 yard free not given to put them two points up and that was it.

I'd like to see AOS in FF and COC on the 40. It would give the tyrone sweeper something to watch and free up Andy and Regan to make runs and win ball
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

From the Bunker

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 02, 2016, 10:28:03 AM
Am I the only one that thinks Mayo have done what they had to do so far in the qualifiers and have never looked like losing any of the three games?

The Galway game I think after 10 mins of the second half they were thinking who would mark which of the roscommon players, switched off when the game was in the bag and then couldn't come out of it.

A good start on Saturday and I don't see us doing the same thing because we're unlikely to get 12 points ahead but also this game will be a lot higher intensity, it'll make it easier to be switched on

Tyrone were impressive up to the Ulster final but Donegal should have won that, they had a stone wall 13 yard free not given to put them two points up and that was it.

I'd like to see AOS in FF and COC on the 40. It would give the tyrone sweeper something to watch and free up Andy and Regan to make runs and win ball

Part of what you say is true. Qualifiers are all about getting through. Especially as the games come hard and fast. You have only a week turnaround to the next game, so knocks and injuries have to be avoided more.

The only basis for Tyrone being favourites over Mayo is that they beat Donegal.
The only basis for Mayo not being favourites over Tyrone is that they lost to Galway.

There is no other Result(s) in the last 6 months that makes either team sound better or worse than the other.

WT4E

I watched the Fermanagh game and I thought they looked possible losers in that game but for the O'Shea Dive?

muppet

Quote from: WT4E on August 02, 2016, 10:54:41 AM

I watched the Fermanagh game and I thought they looked possible losers in that game but for the O'Shea Dive?

Mayo outscored 1-10 to Fermanagh's 0-2 in the 2nd half to win by 5. After ht there was only going to be one winner.
MWWSI 2017

BennyHarp

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 02, 2016, 10:40:23 AM

Part of what you say is true. Qualifiers are all about getting through. Especially as the games come hard and fast. You have only a week turnaround to the next game, so knocks and injuries have to be avoided more.

The only basis for Tyrone being favourites over Mayo is that they beat Donegal.
The only basis for Mayo not being favourites over Tyrone is that they lost to Galway.

There is no other Result(s) in the last 6 months that makes either team sound better or worse than the other.

I've mentioned before about how much of a tight game this is going to be and how much I am wary of Mayo. But at the risk of being accused of arrogance about Tyrone etc...the confidence in Tyrone is much more than we just beat Donegal. Anyone following Tyrone over the past 3 or 4 years will have seen the development of this team into where they are today. Tyrone got to the AI semi in 2013 but nobody really expected an AI out of the team and we met a very good Mayo team who appeared to be destined for Sam. An AI U21 crown provided a huge boost to the squad, coupled with the addition of Peter Donnelly provided the impetus to get to last years AI semi final. Again, we went into that game in hope rather than expectation, it felt a bit too early but a lot of younger players gained big game experience during that run and we were closer that day than many would have thought. Fast forward a year and Tyrone are playing a brand of football that is 3 or 4 years in the making, with young, hungry and hugely fit and talented players. Players coming off the bench like Brennan, Monroe, McCurry, Meyler, McGeary, McMahon (and Lee Brennan who is yet to be unleashed) shows good strength in depth. Yes, beating Donegal was hugely important from a team development point of view, as was lifting the Anglo Celt, but it's not the sole reason why Tyrone supporters are feeling a bit confident again. This has nothing to do with Mayo, in fact if anything, playing a team like Mayo has dampened expectations and bought a fair deal of reality to the situation....I.e. Tyrone could get beaten here, unless we are on top of our game. If we are beaten, then this season was another year too early, but it won't undo the good work of the past few years.

Il Bomber Destro

Beating Donegal in the Ulster Championship is no mean feat. While Donegal may not have the legs for Croke Park anymore,  they are a formidable outfit in Ulster and it was a gutsy performance against a team whose style we have found very difficult to counter.

The way Mayo play and our solid defensive shape gives me a lot of confidence though there's no doubting Mayo will be a huge test.

seafoid

How long has this Tyrone team been going for?

BennyHarp

Quote from: seafoid on August 02, 2016, 12:01:56 PM

Is Galway winning Connacht this year the start or the end of this team?

tiempo

The 1923 Ulster Championship was probably the beginning for this particular team, give or take.

Real Talk

Quote from: ZeitChrist on August 02, 2016, 12:59:37 AM

Cillian O'Connor is statistically the most relied upon forward in the game. He shoulders more of the scoring responsibilities for Mayo than Conor McManus does for Monaghan. Not having any consistent back up for him who can score from play has been an issue. Their biggest issue is their full back line though.

Mayo have not yet met a team that have the 'quality defensive system in place' that Tyrone has.  So this is a massive test  to see how much 'good ball' Mayo can get into their forwards.  Tyrone are lethal at converting 'turnovers' into great scoring opportunities.

Fuzzman

Lot of talk about black cards the last few games and hopefully we don't see another controversial decision to decide this game. Gough reffed our Cavan game very well I thought and wasn't giving away easy frees. Hopefully he's the same in Croker as our game plan is based a lot on crowding out players and not giving away scoreable frees.
Having Mattie back will be vital but I think he needs to focus more on playing the ball and not using his physicality so much to overpower his opponent. I think he gives away quite a few frees for no reason.
However, he usually kicks a few points each game and we did very well to come from 4 points down without him to beat Donegal.
Mayo will show Tyrone little fear or respect like Donegal did which could work well for them in one way or be the reason why they could lose it.
It should be a fascinating contest against two teams with very different styles and at different stages of their progress.

seafoid

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 02, 2016, 12:08:23 PM

Is Galway winning Connacht this year the start or the end of this team?
probably the shtart.  I think Galway still have more all Irelands than Tyrone.