Tír Eoghain vs Maigh Eo AIQF 6/8/2016

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 20, 2016, 08:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Aaron Boone

Mayo will beat Tipperary too. Phenomenal record of reaching finals.

From the Bunker

The day is drawing nearer and suddenly things are not looking as straight forward as one thought?

Redhand Santa

Based on this years form Tyrone are rightfully slight favourites for this game. Mayo were disappointing against Galway and have did nothing in the qualifiers to suggest they're All Ireland contenders. To be honest for long spells in all games they have been very poor.

That does not mean they don't have a good chance on Saturday. They have a core of players used to winning quarter and semi finals. They will find it a lot easier to get up for this match than any game this year and given they're underdogs they'll have a point to prove. It could be the last stand for a number of the team in terms of trying to win an all Ireland. Tyrone in 08 and Kerry in 09 showed that the bigger teams can stumble through a championship then turn it on come the quarter finals. Mayo also have a good record against Tyrone.

Hopefully given its in Croke Park Tyrone can show a bit more adventure for this game and have a real go at Mayo. We need at least one of our inside forwards to do a bit of scoring and combined with a wide range of scoring ability out the pitch will hopefully be enough to get us over the line.

In terms of the team its hard to see many changes from the ulster final. Rory Brennan could come in for McShane and Bradley or McCurry could get into the fill forward line but that's less likely.

From the Bunker

The reality of how Tyrone are judged so far this season is their win over Donegal.
The reality of how Mayo are judged so far this season is their loss to Galway.

All other results are meaningless!

seafoid

Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 01, 2016, 10:48:02 AM
Based on this years form Tyrone are rightfully slight favourites for this game. Mayo were disappointing against Galway and have did nothing in the qualifiers to suggest they're All Ireland contenders. To be honest for long spells in all games they have been very poor.

That does not mean they don't have a good chance on Saturday. They have a core of players used to winning quarter and semi finals. They will find it a lot easier to get up for this match than any game this year and given they're underdogs they'll have a point to prove. It could be the last stand for a number of the team in terms of trying to win an all Ireland. Tyrone in 08 and Kerry in 09 showed that the bigger teams can stumble through a championship then turn it on come the quarter finals. Mayo also have a good record against Tyrone.

Hopefully given its in Croke Park Tyrone can show a bit more adventure for this game and have a real go at Mayo. We need at least one of our inside forwards to do a bit of scoring and combined with a wide range of scoring ability out the pitch will hopefully be enough to get us over the line.

In terms of the team its hard to see many changes from the ulster final. Rory Brennan could come in for McShane and Bradley or McCurry could get into the fill forward line but that's less likely.
Jim McGuinness has a lot to answer for
Tyrone used to be able to kick the ball into the inside forwards in order to generate scores
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m07it4_evog

Norf Tyrone

McShane getting written off in a lot of quarters.

Fine margins.

The lad through on goal in Ulster Final, with one point and one won free for a point to his name, is tumbled. If the ref rightly gave a free in how would his day have panned out?

Off the top of my head he has outscored Ronan O Neill the last 2 days but there are lesser calls for his dropping.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Redhand Santa

Quote from: seafoid on August 01, 2016, 11:03:13 AM

Tyrone used to be able to kick the ball into the inside forwards in order to generate scores

If Sean Cavanagh and Peter Harte keep kicking the ball over from 40 or 50 yards out I'm happy enough we save the extra pass and put it over from out there.

BennyHarp

Quote from: seafoid on August 01, 2016, 11:03:13 AM

Aye, you just don't see that long ball into the inside forward these days! ??? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L1G2JlnGwWU
That was never a square ball!!

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on August 01, 2016, 11:12:33 AM
McShane getting written off in a lot of quarters.

Fine margins.

The lad through on goal in Ulster Final, with one point and one won free for a point to his name, is tumbled. If the ref rightly gave a free in how would his day have panned out?

Off the top of my head he has outscored Ronan O Neill the last 2 days but there are lesser calls for his dropping.

I'm a fan of McShane's and thought watching him for the u21's he had a big future for Tyrone. Decent hands, good engine, strong and can kick a point. Just think if he decides to bring in Brennan he could be the most likely to go in the half back line or half forward line. The one area he needs to improve on is his decision making. He can get on a serious amount of ball in a game and if he is a bit more consistent in using it can be a big player.

macdanger2

Tough game to call, tyrone are rightly marginal favourites on account of beating Donegal and Mayo's patchy form.

For Mayo to win, we need to play for 55-60 minutes which is something we haven't done in a long time. In particular, we need AOS (at MF) and COC to have good games. We need DOC back also, he's a top quality player and will cause problems for tyrone.

I'd be a little worried that the players don't fully buy into Rochford yet and that may explain some of the flatness so fartthis season. A win here could change that. Personally I think he's doing ok, I'd switch Higgins and McLoughlin but that's not going to happen at this stage. He's a little slower with substitutions than I would like.

Hard to know how good tyrone are, they needed a couple of wonder points to get past Donegal. That's probably not the sort of thing they can rely on in every game. They're probably similar to mayo in that they're at their best playing a running game and they tend not to rely on a "marquee" forward to get most of their scores.

I think we should plan to concede a free around the 45 out on the wing early on to put a bit of pressure on the tyrone freetaker, this is a weakness for them and we should look to put the pressure on there early with a couple of difficult kicks.

If DOC plays, I fancy us by 1-2 points.

From the Bunker

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 01, 2016, 12:16:25 PM
Tough game to call, tyrone are rightly marginal favourites on account of beating Donegal and Mayo's patchy form.

For Mayo to win, we need to play for 55-60 minutes which is something we haven't done in a long time. In particular, we need AOS (at MF) and COC to have good games. We need DOC back also, he's a top quality player and will cause problems for tyrone.

I'd be a little worried that the players don't fully buy into Rochford yet and that may explain some of the flatness so fartthis season. A win here could change that. Personally I think he's doing ok, I'd switch Higgins and McLoughlin but that's not going to happen at this stage. He's a little slower with substitutions than I would like.

Hard to know how good tyrone are, they needed a couple of wonder points to get past Donegal. That's probably not the sort of thing they can rely on in every game. They're probably similar to mayo in that they're at their best playing a running game and they tend not to rely on a "marquee" forward to get most of their scores.

I think we should plan to concede a free around the 45 out on the wing early on to put a bit of pressure on the tyrone freetaker, this is a weakness for them and we should look to put the pressure on there early with a couple of difficult kicks.

If DOC plays, I fancy us by 1-2 points.

Look it's great to be where we are. If you were told after the defeat on that Saturday evening to Galway, we'd end up back in the quarters finals on the Connacht/Ulster side of the draw. You'd have been happy. Qualifiers are about getting through. And we got through with a few small questions asked.

Tyrone game is a one off. But sides are decent! Nobody after the game will say ''That was a big surprise'' if one or the other wins. If Mayo lose they will be consigned as has beens of top 4/5/6. If Tyrone win it will be seen as them becoming more a football power again, if they lose and it's not by much, they will be seen as a team still developing.

macdanger2

Would the knives be out in some quarters for MH if tyrone were to lose this?

From the Bunker

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 01, 2016, 12:40:39 PM
Would the knives be out in some quarters for MH if tyrone were to lose this?

No! An Ulster title in the bag. Back in Division One!

ZeitChrist

Tyrone might be the hungrier team and better on the sideline too with a manager the team seem to wholeheartedly trust. Mayo are more experienced on the big stage though and might be more up for this match than any other match this year. I think Mayo have better individuals whileTyrone perhaps have the better system. It's going to hard fought for whoever wins, in my opinion.