Tír Eoghain vs Maigh Eo AIQF 6/8/2016

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 20, 2016, 08:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Having read the Dara ó'Sé article about injury time and the importance of a strong subs bench means now with refs often adding on 5 or 6+ minutes I thought I'd look at the subs Mickey Harte has used this year and the younger lads that have claimed starting jerseys.

Sludden, McShane and McNabb seem to all have been the main benefactors in each of the games played so far with getting a starting place. McNabb and Rory Brennan seem to be fighting for the same jersey with nearly all of the other defensive spots more or less accounted for.

Mark Bradley and McCurry seem to be the two forwards that are closest to getting into the starting lineups but are both great players to be bringing in when opponents' legs are getting tired. Munroe seems to also have jumped ahead of some of his team mates and is seeing a good amount of game-time. I've watched his tackle on Frank McGlynn several times and it was fair shoulder to shoulder and was significant as it was saying move over Frank, the new kids are on the block now. No fear!

Kieran McGeary (the U21 captain last year) looks like another lad who can't wait to become a regular and like the others listed always adds to the team when he comes on rather than just a sub for someone tired or injured. With Justy getting on a bit now it's also good to have him and Hampsey there to come in and fill his shoes.

With Meyler out injured and Richie Donnelly also there with a point to prove now as well as McNulty (who is 6'4'') I think it is fair to say we do have a very strong bench that Mickey uses very well as he's not scared to make a change.
I don't think we'll see Lee Brennan this year unless we're beating somebody comfortably but you never know with Mickey. Football outside Ulster's thick blankets might suit the young lad more.

In the past I think Tyrone often played a different brand of football when they get out of Ulster but the 'System' of play now seems very set in stone, at least when we don't have the ball. I think though you might see more kick passing depending on how defensive the other team are.

Can any of ye see any other players making a significant contribution?
Peter Harte has been my best player of the year so far and I was delighted for him when that huge kick went over the bar v Donegal. A lot of praise went Sean Cavanagh's way after that game but more often that not Petey is the supplier for Sean's scores (and vice versa of course).

BennyHarp

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 27, 2016, 03:07:03 PM
Having read the Dara ó'Sé article about injury time and the importance of a strong subs bench means now with refs often adding on 5 or 6+ minutes I thought I'd look at the subs Mickey Harte has used this year and the younger lads that have claimed starting jerseys.

Sludden, McShane and McNabb seem to all have been the main benefactors in each of the games played so far with getting a starting place. McNabb and Rory Brennan seem to be fighting for the same jersey with nearly all of the other defensive spots more or less accounted for.

Mark Bradley and McCurry seem to be the two forwards that are closest to getting into the starting lineups but are both great players to be bringing in when opponents' legs are getting tired. Munroe seems to also have jumped ahead of some of his team mates and is seeing a good amount of game-time. I've watched his tackle on Frank McGlynn several times and it was fair shoulder to shoulder and was significant as it was saying move over Frank, the new kids are on the block now. No fear!

Kieran McGeary (the U21 captain last year) looks like another lad who can't wait to become a regular and like the others listed always adds to the team when he comes on rather than just a sub for someone tired or injured. With Justy getting on a bit now it's also good to have him and Hampsey there to come in and fill his shoes.

With Meyler out injured and Richie Donnelly also there with a point to prove now as well as McNulty (who is 6'4'') I think it is fair to say we do have a very strong bench that Mickey uses very well as he's not scared to make a change.
I don't think we'll see Lee Brennan this year unless we're beating somebody comfortably but you never know with Mickey. Football outside Ulster's thick blankets might suit the young lad more.

In the past I think Tyrone often played a different brand of football when they get out of Ulster but the 'System' of play now seems very set in stone, at least when we don't have the ball. I think though you might see more kick passing depending on how defensive the other team are.

Peter Harte has been my best player of the year so far and I was delighted for him when that huge kick went over the bar v Donegal. A lot of praise went Sean Cavanagh's way after that game but more often that not Petey is the supplier for Sean's scores (and vice versa of course).

I'd be very surprised if we didn't see Lee Brennan at some point in the quarter final. If the lad's approach to the game is influenced at all by his brother and the two Donnelly brothers then he will have the temperament and physcal capabilities to slot straight into the team. Those Trillick lads have been excellent this season and certainly look in great shape with a good attitude to boot.
That was never a square ball!!

omagh_gael

Agree with most of what you say there, however, once again these guys will have to produce it against Mayo (and a lesser extent Cork/Westmeath) in a big game in Croke park. The Ulster final will be seen in a different light of Donegal get dumped out on their hole this Saturday.

Btw Fuzz, whenever you post text links to articles they never work for me. Don't know if others have this issue?

WT4E, I noticed you've deleted your post but I emailed Croke Park and they said tickets will go on sale Sunday (assuming neither game this Saturday ends in a draw!!). Will be interesting to see if there are many on general sale. Surely it will sell out if it's Dublin v Donegal and Tyrone v Mayo.

omaghjoe

The Trillick lads really have been remarkable and we still have possibly the most talented of the lot still to come. I would say alot of stems from Mattie, having observed them both at minor I would have thought Richie was the better footballer but Matties attitude has taken him to a totally different level.

I'll be honest I thought that was the last was him when he left the panel for U21s but we really got an insight into his mindset when his intentions and long term plan where revealed. He is a fantastic driving force for the Trillick lads and the rest of the team.

From the Bunker

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 27, 2016, 04:38:54 PM
Agree with most of what you say there, however, once again these guys will have to produce it against Mayo (and a lesser extent Cork/Westmeath) in a big game in Croke park. The Ulster final will be seen in a different light of Donegal get dumped out on their hole this Saturday.

Btw Fuzz, whenever you post text links to articles they never work for me. Don't know if others have this issue?

WT4E, I noticed you've deleted your post but I emailed Croke Park and they said tickets will go on sale Sunday (assuming neither game this Saturday ends in a draw!!). Will be interesting to see if there are many on general sale. Surely it will sell out if it's Dublin v Donegal and Tyrone v Mayo.

As I said last year Dublin/Mayo original and replayed games were mayhem trying to get tickets! I can't imagine what adding Tyrone and Donegal fans to that will do?

yellowcard

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 27, 2016, 04:53:45 PM

As I said last year Dublin/Mayo original and replayed games were mayhem trying to get tickets! I can't imagine what adding Tyrone and Donegal fans to that will do?

I reckon Cork will chin Donegal.

From the Bunker

Quote from: yellowcard on July 27, 2016, 05:03:21 PM

Are you saying Donegal are not up to much?

Fuzzman

Thanks Omaghjoe. I didn't realise that put it was putting in an extra http:// after the url word.
Fixed it now above.

I don't think the Dubs are as keen as they were as so many have got fed up with paying in and watching 40 mins of football and then it's all over.

Donegal having the extra week will help them a lot and I can't see Cork living with their suffocating blanket.

It would be great to see Lee Brennan kicking scores in Croker.
What's young Mulgrew like? With him being in the squad so young I presume he's hot as well.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

yellowcard

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 27, 2016, 05:25:36 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 27, 2016, 05:03:21 PM

Are you saying Donegal are not up to much?

Just think they are battle weary and Cork have the benefit of a couple of wins behind them. Mentally, Donegal may find it hard to get back up for this game after the disappointment of losing an Ulster final and trying to maintain a peak for 4 hard games en route.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 27, 2016, 03:07:03 PM

We've very strong squad wise, McShane has certainly improved this year but he is still a little too erratic for me. I would like to see Richie Donnelly come in for him in the QF if fit. Think they are similar type players but Richie is more polished at present.

Great to see McNabb make such a swift recovery, he's always looked like being a top player but last year was the first year he really made the impact expected due to injury so it was a big blow for him to pick up such a serious injury after all the trouble before that. I think he could be under threat along with O'Neill and McShane the next day, would imagine the other 12 starters against Donegal are nailed on starters.

Mickey is good at picking players for certain opponents, think Bradley is the type of player who could get a lot of joy against Mayo and he may start.

Fuzzman

Dublin will be tough in their own backyard
We did well to beat them back in 2008

tyroneman

Fear ón Srath Bán

Bring on the perennial and proverbial bridesmaids, and puhleeease, less of the whinging à la 2008 when we beat you out the Croke Park gate again! ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

omagh_gael

Rochford played a blinder at half time. Go out for second half, get a scare and fool the whole country into writing us off. Mayo waiting in long grass to chop down the red hands?