You know the GAA is in decline when......................

Started by From the Bunker, July 19, 2016, 12:26:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esmarelda

Quote from: smort on July 19, 2016, 09:22:14 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 19, 2016, 08:46:53 AM
Three times on Sunday the referee in Castlebar stopped the goalie from quickly kicking out the ball because there was a second ball on the field right beside the end line. Each time there was an umpire within a few metres of the ball, but they just stood there looking at the ball. The mind boggles

This!
Ironically, I heard that an intercounty referee at the weekend ran in to tell his umpires not to go looking for a second ball and to stay and do the job they're supposed to do.

tommysmith

Quote from: Esmarelda on July 19, 2016, 04:43:02 PM
Three times on Sunday the referee in Castlebar stopped the goalie from quickly kicking out the ball because there was a second ball on the field right beside the end line. Each time there was an umpire within a few metres of the ball, but they just stood there looking at the ball. The mind boggles

This!
Ironically, I heard that an intercounty referee at the weekend ran in to tell his umpires not to go looking for a second ball and to stay and do the job they're supposed to do.

Nothing wrong with that.

Boycey

Quote from: tommysmith on July 19, 2016, 04:46:33 PM

This!

Nothing wrong with that.

Yeah, its not the umpires job to keep balls at the post.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Boycey on July 19, 2016, 04:48:42 PM
Quote from: tommysmith on July 19, 2016, 04:46:33 PM

This!

Nothing wrong with that.

Yeah, its not the umpires job to keep balls at the post.
I know. The posts previous to mine complained that an umpire wasn't getting the ball off the pitch.

dec

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 19, 2016, 08:55:08 AM
When the Leinster football final has it's smallest attendance in over 30 years.

Munster Hurling Final attendance was fairly small as well.

seafoid

Money is going to downsize Irish rugby significantly.  At least all the GAA tournaments are won in Ireland 

Christmas Lights

From the Bunker

You know the GAA is in decline when Westmeath don't get excited about getting to a Leinster final!

You know the GAA is in decline when players play for their county in the league in order to build up their profile to play in America for the summer.

sid waddell

Lowest in 12 years.

38,300 attended the Westmeath-Laois replay in 2004.

Blue Island

I wonder is this a generational thing. Perhaps those playing now enjoy the way the game is played and are happy as things are.

Those who played or watched football before the endless hand passes hanker after a lost game. It's hard to beat a midfielder pluck a ball out of the air, or a flying corner forward raise a crowd as he takes on his man. It has now got to the stage where the shoulder charge is basically redundant.

Like other posters I have also found myself turning over to watch something else, or read a newspaper whilst the match is on. I never thought it would reach that stage as in the past nothing was close to the football for me.

Can't really blame the managers as they must do what is required to win. If a  team of the nineties played in their style against a team of today they would be beat out the gate.

There is no point criticising managers, or teams for that matter. I think the only way to deal with it is rule change. The marks a waste of time. The hand pass is the problem. Perhaps we could introduce the rule applicable in sevens where you cannot pass the ball back into your own half  and limit hand passes to two in a row.

From the Bunker

Quote from: sid waddell on July 19, 2016, 10:58:17 PM
Lowest in 12 years.

A replay of two of the smallest populations in Leinster (roughly 80k each) with the game played on a working day?

From the Bunker

You know the GAA is in decline when Referees are afraid of Some players legal team?  ;)

sid waddell

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 19, 2016, 11:55:45 PM
Lowest in 12 years.

A replay of two of the smallest populations in Leinster (roughly 80k each) with the game played on a working day?
There are about three proper non-working days a year, pal.

Sunday is a working day these days.

The point was made that it was the lowest crowd at a Leinster final for 30 years. Which is an erroneous point.

From the Bunker

Quote from: sid waddell on July 20, 2016, 11:38:27 AM
Lowest in 12 years.

The point was made that it was the lowest crowd at a Leinster final for 30 years. Which is an erroneous point.

Firstly, I'm not you PAL! I find a reply like that derogatory!

Secondly, Replays are renowned for lower attendances.

Thirdly, I'd say the original stat was based on non replays.

Fourthly, the game was played on a Saturday. I know because i was there!

Fifthly, as I said these are small counties population wise. That would be 80% of the optimum attendance you would expect at such a game.

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 20, 2016, 01:15:08 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on July 20, 2016, 11:38:27 AM
Lowest in 12 years.

Firstly, I'm not you PAL! I find a reply like that derogatory!

Secondly, Replays are renowned for lower attendances.

Thirdly, I'd say the original stat was based on non replays.

Fourthly, the game was played on a Saturday. I know because i was there!

Fifthly, as I said these are small counties population wise. That would be 80% of the optimum attendance you would expect at such a game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IfoUM6a4bA