Who can stop Kerry?

Started by kerryforsam16, July 18, 2016, 08:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurtz

Kerry dont fear Croke Park and they dont fear anyone so they are always dangerous

Sorry I forgot they fear Dublin

BennyHarp

Quote from: Kurtz on July 27, 2016, 03:22:27 PM
Kerry dont fear Croke Park and they dont fear anyone so they are always dangerous

.....and Tyrone!
That was never a square ball!!

From the Bunker

And they have a thing about Tyrone. On the other side they don't fear Cork, Mayo or Galway.

seafoid

yellowcard

Bomber calling a spade a spade.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/eoin-liston-clare-are-a-means-to-an-end-as-kerry-eye-dublin-revenge-34918346.html

On the other hand you then have Fitzmaurice building up Clare as being a tough match etc etc. Sometimes I don't know how he keeps a straight face he talks that much guff building up mediocre opposition at times and surely he can't honestly believe a word that comes out of his own mouth.

Rossfan

Straight from page 1 of the Co manager's Training manual. ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

craicwas90

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 27, 2016, 03:38:18 PM

.....and Tyrone!
Had, the last two Championship meetings have ended with Kerry wins.

Wouldn't mind a Kerry Tyrone final this year!

balladmaker

QuoteWho can stop Kerry?

The only way to stop Kerry is to put them into a competitive championship where they will get tested from the first match onwards, as opposed to the sham-championship we have at present.

David McKeown

Quote from: balladmaker on July 28, 2016, 01:33:23 PM
QuoteWho can stop Kerry?

The only way to stop Kerry is to put them into a competitive championship where they will get tested from the first match onwards, as opposed to the sham-championship we have at present.

They've had the most competitive run to where they are. Munster makes up at least 3/8 of the quarter finalists this year and potentially 1/2 of them should Cork beat Donegal. I don't buy this guff that Kerry have it easy. I do have a problem with them getting a bye through the first round of the qualifiers and I think that's highly unfair but they are where they are on merit.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

yellowcard

Quote from: David McKeown on July 28, 2016, 01:48:16 PM
QuoteWho can stop Kerry?

They've had the most competitive run to where they are. Munster makes up at least 3/8 of the quarter finalists this year and potentially 1/2 of them should Cork beat Donegal. I don't buy this guff that Kerry have it easy. I do have a problem with them getting a bye through the first round of the qualifiers and I think that's highly unfair but they are where they are on merit.

Is that you Eamon?

BennyHarp

QuoteWho can stop Kerry?

Do you really believe that Kerry's path to the semi final is equitable to others? Seriously? It's not a criticism of Kerry, or Tipp or Clare but for gods sake nobody could look at the way the draw has panned out and think each team has had to overcome similar challenges. They will win the quarter final by over 10 points. It does no favours to Kerry either and they will be at a disadvantage heading into the last four.

David McKeown

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 28, 2016, 02:49:24 PM
QuoteWho can stop Kerry?

Do you really believe that Kerry's path to the semi final is equitable to others? Seriously? It's not a criticism of Kerry, or Tipp or Clare but for gods sake nobody could look at the way the draw has panned out and think each team has had to overcome similar challenges. They will win the quarter final by over 10 points. It does no favours to Kerry either and they will be at a disadvantage heading into the last four.

That argument is trotted out year after year that Kerry have it easy. Once again the stats don't back that up in my opinion. Their only two games this year have been against quarter finalists. No other county can say that. Bizarrely it's often also claimed that these 'easy runs' do Kerry no good. Once again the stats don't back that up and really we can't have it both ways. Since the qualifiers were introduced in 2001 Kerry have won 5 all Ireland's and played in 5 other finals. More than any other county. This despite the fact that they come from a province that has another county to have appeared in 3 finals in the same period. In a system where there is a back door for me the myth that Kerry have it easy is exactly that a myth. For Kerry will have to beat 2 other quarter finalists ( one of them twice), a semi finalist (possibly Dublin if I've remembered the draw properly) and then a finalist. I don't buy that's an easy all Ireland for them
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

BennyHarp

Quote from: David McKeown on July 28, 2016, 04:13:04 PM
QuoteWho can stop Kerry?

That argument is trotted out year after year that Kerry have it easy. Once again the stats don't back that up in my opinion. Their only two games this year have been against quarter finalists. No other county can say that. Bizarrely it's often also claimed that these 'easy runs' do Kerry no good. Once again the stats don't back that up and really we can't have it both ways. Since the qualifiers were introduced in 2001 Kerry have won 5 all Ireland's and played in 5 other finals. More than any other county. This despite the fact that they come from a province that has another county to have appeared in 3 finals in the same period. In a system where there is a back door for me the myth that Kerry have it easy is exactly that a myth. For Kerry will have to beat 2 other quarter finalists ( one of them twice), a semi finalist (possibly Dublin if I've remembered the draw properly) and then a finalist. I don't buy that's an easy all Ireland for them

It's trotted out every year because it happens every year. Tipp and Clare did well to get to the qtr finals but that is a very liberal use of "statistics" to justify your point. Any team can achieve that with a reasonable draw. Did you watch the Munster final and think Tipp gave Kerry a proper test and would be serious quarter final opponents to any of the top teams? Did you think the same when they played Clare? Do you think Kerry came off the field that day thinking, that they need to be on top of their game if they meet Clare again in the quarters?

Even since the back door came in Kerry have never had to go from round 1. An easy Munster path always left them either straight into the quarters or one round away. So I don't buy the guff about the qualifiers equalizing the system.

What about these stats, Kerry must best Tipp (div 3) and Clare x2 (div 3) to get to the semi final. Is this equal to playing Derry (div 2)  Cavan (div 2), Donegal (div 1) and potentially Mayo (div 1) to get to the same stage? Do you think Tyrone will approach Mayo in the same way Kerry will approach Clare? Kerry have benefited from easy draws for years, it's not their fault and they have made hay, fair play to them. But the structures are wrong and no amount of "stats" will change that!

Zulu

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 28, 2016, 04:56:33 PM
QuoteWho can stop Kerry?

It's trotted out every year because it happens every year. Tipp and Clare did well to get to the qtr finals but that is a very liberal use of "statistics" to justify your point. Any team can achieve that with a reasonable draw. Did you watch the Munster final and think Tipp gave Kerry a proper test and would be serious quarter final opponents to any of the top teams? Did you think the same when they played Clare? Do you think Kerry came off the field that day thinking, that they need to be on top of their game if they meet Clare again in the quarters?

What about these stats, Kerry must best Tipp (div 3) and Clare x2 (div 3) to get to the semi final. Is this equal to playing Derry (div 2)  Cavan (div 2), Donegal (div 1) and potentially Mayo (div 1) to get to the same stage? Do you think Tyrone will approach Mayo in the same way Kerry will approach Clare? Kerry have benefited from easy draws for years, it's not their fault and they have made hay, fair play to them. But the structures are wrong and no amount of "stats" will change that!

Are you in favour of scrapping the provincials? Also, Clare and Tipp are probably as good or better than Derry or Cavan. I think Clare will prove to be a genuine division 2 team next year.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Zulu on July 28, 2016, 05:07:26 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 28, 2016, 04:56:33 PM
QuoteWho can stop Kerry?

Are you in favour of scrapping the provincials? Also, Clare and Tipp are probably as good or better than Derry or Cavan. I think Clare will prove to be a genuine division 2 team next year.

I would definitely think that the provincials have had their day. I agree that Derry and Cavan are no world beaters and its probably touch and go between them and Tipp or Clare on any given day. But I've said before, I'd be making the same point if Tyrone had to beat Derry, then Cavan and then Derry again to make it to the AI semi final. That would be an equivalent draw. But throw in games v Donegal and Mayo and it highlights the lop sidedness of the draw.