Derry vs Tipperary, Breffini Park, Sarurday 23rd July 5pm, Live on Sky

Started by quiganmaster, July 18, 2016, 06:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southderryman

Quote from: Estimator on July 21, 2016, 09:02:05 PM
I really don't think that this will be the starting line up!

Neither do I.  But then I didn't think it would be last week either. Would expect 3 changes to that team

Wildweasel74

Excately how crap to you have to be to get benched on this Derry team, that's 3 games running 4 or so lads are under performing and should be dropped but get continually picked, whats that saying to the other lads on the bench.

southderryman

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 21, 2016, 09:58:58 PM
Excately how crap to you have to be to get benched on this Derry team, that's 3 games running 4 or so lads are under performing and should be dropped but get continually picked, whats that saying to the other lads on the bench.

I can see the logic in holding some guys back to make an impact with their pace when teams are tiring and to finish with their strongest team to get them over the line.

The problem we have is that we're thin on the ground on forward areas in particular if we want to do this.

I expect Lynn to start with the 2 niall held in reserve again for the last 20 or 25 mins depending how things are going

Wildweasel74

I be more concerned with midfield and center half back, we been very poor in these positions

southderryman

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 22, 2016, 01:17:17 PM
I be more concerned with midfield and center half back, we been very poor in these positions

I agree and the keepers kick outs have only added to the problem; but the point I was making about holding players back was in relation to forwards, the reality is we don't really have many options in midfield or defence

lenny

Barton and scullion seem to like the idea of themselves as master tacticians who bring on 4 or 5 subs who change the game. Our second half team is on average 6 or 7 points better than our first half team. As always in this kind of scenario Barton will look like a chump if we go in at half time 9 or 10 points down but our subs bring us back to a 2 or 3 point defeat. It's good to have one or 2 really good subs to bring on but we also need to strengthen the starting team as our first half performances haven't been good enough.

Captain Obvious

Derry have good momentum from their Cavan,Meath comeback wins they should have the edge in this game. Better for Roscommon to win the other game so that Derry avoid Kerry.

Fuzzman

Is the reward for winning this game a quarterfinals with Galway or Kerry. You would imagine Roscommon will beat Clare so it could be Derry v Galway. Will be some crack if it ends up being Derry v Tyrone semifinal.

Franko

Quote from: lenny on July 22, 2016, 03:04:57 PM

Barton and scullion seem to like the idea of themselves as master tacticians who bring on 4 or 5 subs who change the game. Our second half team is on average 6 or 7 points better than our first half team. As always in this kind of scenario Barton will look like a chump if we go in at half time 9 or 10 points down but our subs bring us back to a 2 or 3 point defeat. It's good to have one or 2 really good subs to bring on but we also need to strengthen the starting team as our first half performances haven't been good enough.

Can't speak for Barton but if you knew anything about Tony Scullion you wouldn't be saying that.  Scullion does his best for Derry, whatever way he sees fit.  He doesn't give a flyin fcuk what way others think of him.

Conallach

Quote from: Estimator on July 20, 2016, 04:32:08 PM
Quote from: southderryman on July 19, 2016, 03:47:12 PM
I was surprised at the venue. But he's talking nonsense if he thinks you could do Derry to cavan in an hour and a half. He also completely contradicts himself then asking for galway. Breffni is a lot more neutral than galway is

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=258382

He's having a laugh there surely, with both his estimates. It's, at the very least, a 2hr journey from a couple of South Derry Clubs, and upwards of 3hrs from the N.Derry clubs. And a brief look at google maps it would suggest something similar in Tipp. Based on times from Roscrea and Carrick

After listening to Kearns' moaning I pulled up Google Maps and checked the travel times from the club of each starter (or the village in question) to eah venue that he suggested. Now this is quite a tricky match to set, I'll give you that, but I'm not sure why Kearns feels that his the fixture planners have done a poor job here.

The average differential for Cavan was around the three quarters of an hour mark. The only venues more suitable than Cavan were Navan & Parnell. Tipp refused to travel to Parnell as they have lost matches there before, and Navan, no offence intended to the Meath posters on here, is an awful, awful ground. The venues suggested by Kearns leaned heavily towards Tipp, and some of them were particularly ludicrous, with two venues suggested by Kearns having an average travel time differential of over two hours in favour of the Premier County boys.

I really doubt that Kearns is unaware of this, surely a man repeatedly chosen as an intercounty manager has to be a little more on the ball than that, so I guess that it must be a deliberate 'motivational' tactic, similar to his statements about columnists before the Munster Final. That's fine, whatever. But it's quite disappointing that no pundit on either GAA preview show that I listened to pulled him up on it. Instead you have Mossy Quinn nodding along and suggesting halfway points that approach the three quarter way mark.

Anyway, if I was from either county I'd be more concerned with the wildcard that is your ref for the afternoon.  ;D

southderryman

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 23, 2016, 02:51:30 PM
Is the reward for winning this game a quarterfinals with Galway or Kerry. You would imagine Roscommon will beat Clare so it could be Derry v Galway. Will be some crack if it ends up being Derry v Tyrone semifinal.

Clare just about home and dry.

If Derry win it's kerry. If tipp win it's  galway

Fear ón Srath Bán

Derry off to another 'sluggish' start (0-06 to 0-03 behind)?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...