Derry vs Tipperary, Breffini Park, Sarurday 23rd July 5pm, Live on Sky

Started by quiganmaster, July 18, 2016, 06:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AhNowRef

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 19, 2016, 12:33:28 PM
Colin O'Riordan is in the AFL.
Steven O'Brien is on the extended Tipp hurling panel.
Seamus Kennedy is starting with the hurlers.
Paddy Codd and Barry Grogan aren't playing this year
3 other lads went off to the US after the league.

All good players that would be at least on the panel, and probably 6 or 7 starters.

Ah right .. disappointing for Tipp !!

Is that the same "O'Riordan" lad who starred for Tipp U21 last year?

AZOffaly

Yep, himself and Steven O'Brien, and Jason Lonergan were all on that team.

southderryman

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 19, 2016, 01:42:29 PM
Quote from: southderryman on July 19, 2016, 10:44:43 AM
Quote from: TheOptimist on July 19, 2016, 10:42:28 AM
Quote from: Real Talk on July 19, 2016, 10:03:26 AM
Quote from: southderryman on July 19, 2016, 08:55:27 AM
Quote from: quiganmaster on July 18, 2016, 06:28:16 PM
Thought I'd get the discussion going. Derry have done well so far since the Tyrone embarrassment and It's a great chance for us to get to a first quarter final in 9 years, but Tipperary will be no pushovers. PP have Derry as short as 1/2 to win, which I think is ridiculous and Tipp at 11/5 might be worth a tenner or 2.
Those odds make little sense to me. I'd  see this as a 50/50 game.

We have massive problems with our kick outs and winning ball at midfield. It will cost us at some stage. To be honest it should have been our downfall on Saturday but thankfully cavan were wasteful in the first half.

We need to play from the start this time, instead of waiting to half time when damage is done. A big opportunity to get to a quarter final for both teams. I'd like to think there would be no over confidence in the Derry set up, as frankly its not warranted....and if there is, then the only word which needs mentioned is Longford

This is the key to our problem plus a new CHB will have to be chosen .... who in the team/panel can give us stability, intelligence, leadership and drive in that role ?  .....

Thinking McAtamney maybe with Bradley in midfield? From memory in the league last year McAtamney played a class game against Cork around that position.

Thats could be worth a shout. We're not blessed with options in there. Times like this you really feel the absence of McBride, Sean Leo, Craig and Johnson....those 4 available would have given us plenty of defensive options

Are they all gone for the year?

I dont know. Craig and Johnson haven't been seen since they played for Dungiven against managements wishes

Sean Leo had a long lay off, not sure what his time frame is

McBride went back to play for the club before the meath game to get some football under his belt, the talk then was he'd be back if we got over meath. The Cavan game fell on the same day as a wedding he was attending so don't know if that means he'll be back for tipp game or not

AhNowRef

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 19, 2016, 01:51:37 PM
Yep, himself and Steven O'Brien, and Jason Lonergan were all on that team.

Yeah thats tough on Tipp for sure .. Thats O'Riordan lad would have been a serious asset by himself !!

southderryman

I was surprised at the venue. But he's talking nonsense if he thinks you could do Derry to cavan in an hour and a half. He also completely contradicts himself then asking for galway. Breffni is a lot more neutral than galway is

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=258382

Estimator

Quote from: southderryman on July 19, 2016, 03:47:12 PM
I was surprised at the venue. But he's talking nonsense if he thinks you could do Derry to cavan in an hour and a half. He also completely contradicts himself then asking for galway. Breffni is a lot more neutral than galway is

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=258382

He's having a laugh there surely, with both his estimates. It's, at the very least, a 2hr journey from a couple of South Derry Clubs, and upwards of 3hrs from the N.Derry clubs. And a brief look at google maps it would suggest something similar in Tipp. Based on times from Roscrea and Carrick
Ulster League Champions 2009

southderryman

I see the referee is listed as M Duffy. Anyone know is its marty or Michael?

Either way, both sets of players, management and supporters are in for a frustrating day with some ridiculous decisions. Just hope whichever one it is, he's equally poor to both teams and has no impact on the outcome

Owenmoresider

Quote from: southderryman on July 21, 2016, 09:21:47 AM

Either way, both sets of players, management and supporters are in for a frustrating day with some ridiculous decisions. Just hope whichever one it is, he's equally poor to both teams and has no impact on the outcome
Marty I'd say, not sure if Michael is on the panel this year or not but haven't noticed him getting any gigs if he is.

southderryman

Quote from: Owenmoresider on July 21, 2016, 09:27:09 AM
Quote from: southderryman on July 21, 2016, 09:21:47 AM

Marty I'd say, not sure if Michael is on the panel this year or not but haven't noticed him getting any gigs if he is.

You could be right, haven't seen Michael this year. Marty was running the line last weekend

quiganmaster

Is be expecting a similar team that lined out against Cavan, but with Rodgers unavailable it might mean that Bradley gets the nod at midfield.

Mallon
Mckinless.
Mckaige.   
Mckaige.
Mcfaul.     
Mcatamney. 
Mullan
Holly
Bradley
Heaven
Bradley
Toner
Kielt
Lynch
Mcguckin

Would be an option or else perhaps we could see lynch going CHB like he played a couple of seasons back with the midfield staying the same and Loughlin starting? Will be interesting to see when the team is announced. Gutted that I won't be able to get to this one, but will be keeping a very close eye

tbrick18

Quote from: quiganmaster on July 21, 2016, 01:01:33 PM
Is be expecting a similar team that lined out against Cavan, but with Rodgers unavailable it might mean that Bradley gets the nod at midfield.

Mallon
Mckinless.
Mckaige.   
Mckaige.
Mcfaul.     
Mcatamney. 
Mullan
Holly
Bradley
Heaven
Bradley
Toner
Kielt
Lynch
Mcguckin

Would be an option or else perhaps we could see lynch going CHB like he played a couple of seasons back with the midfield staying the same and Loughlin starting? Will be interesting to see when the team is announced. Gutted that I won't be able to get to this one, but will be keeping a very close eye

Whats the odds on Gerard O'Kane being a direct replacement for Rodgers?

quiganmaster

I hadn't thought of that, that is also a very real possibility. O'kane is a good player, but hasn't played that much this year for the county. He'd be a leader and an experienced head in that half back line and central part of the pitch. That could be important on
Saturday for a relatively inexperienced Derry team.

southderryman

Quote from: quiganmaster on July 21, 2016, 01:01:33 PM

Mallon
Mckinless.
Mckaige.   
Mckaige.
Mcfaul.     
Mcatamney. 
Mullan
Holly
Bradley
Heaven
Bradley
Toner
Kielt
Lynch
Mcguckin

I think you'd be mental to move lynch at this stage. He's kicked 7 points v cavan and 6 points v meath. I don't think Mark has the capability of getting up and down the pitch from CHB for 75+ minutes any more. Leave home where he is, where he can get a breather when he needs it and can conserve his energy to hopefully do enough damage to get us over the line

McAtamney would be my choice at CHB with emmet Bradley in midfield. Niall Holly needs to up his game considerably this weekend

Brown and Sammy Bradley probably haven't don't enough recently to merit a start. Lynn must be in contention at this stage. Loughlin toner and forrester have done well recently and must pushing for a start although it seems Barton likes to hold a few of these back as impact subs

southderryman

Unchanged team again. Thought Rodgers was unavailable?

1. Thomas Mallon (An Lúb)
2. Gareth McKinless (Baile an Doire)
3. Chrissy McKaigue (Sleacht Néill) (C)
4. Karl McKaigue (Sleacht Néill)
5. Ciarán McFaul (Gleann)
6. Brendan Rogers (Sleacht Néill)
7. Ciarán Mullan (Eoghan Rua)
8. Conor McAtamney (Suaitreach)
9. Niall Holly (Eoghan Rua)
10. Daniel Heavron (Machaire Fíolta)
11. Christopher Bradley (Sleacht Néill)
12. Eoghan Brown (Baile Eachaidh)
13. James Kielt (Cill Ria)
14. Emmett McGuckin (Machaire Fíolta)
15. Mark Lynch (Beannchar)
16. Conor McLernon (Machaire Fíolta)
17. Neil Forester (Baile Stíl)
18. Liam McGoldrick (Eoghan Rua)
19. Michael McEvoy (Machaire Fíolta)
20. Cailean O'Boyle (Leamhaigh)
21. Oisín Duffy (Forghleann)
22. Niall Toner (Leamhaigh)
23. Niall Loughlin (Grianloch)
24. Emmett Bradley (Gleann)
25. Enda Lynn (Grianloch)
26. Gerard O'Kane (Gleann an Iolair)

Estimator

I really don't think that this will be the starting line up!
Ulster League Champions 2009