Mayo v Kildare, Round 3B Football Qualifier July 16, 2016

Started by From the Bunker, July 10, 2016, 01:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

Are we not in neutral venues the next day/evening?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Farrandeelin

Quote from: highorlow on July 10, 2016, 11:28:18 PM
Are we not in neutral venues the next day/evening?
Nope. Round 4 games are though I think.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

sans pessimism

Quote from: Syferus on July 10, 2016, 10:44:33 PM
Will O'Shea be making any lineup changes for the next day? Dillon looked sharp but he doesn't have 35 minutes in him anymore.
Worry bout yer own house a mhac
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

highorlow

If we get a home draw it's likely the Connacht final replay will be a curtain raiser then.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

From the Bunker

Quote from: highorlow on July 10, 2016, 11:41:55 PM
If we get a home draw it's likely the Connacht final replay will be a curtain raiser then.

Plus we get the pleasure of paying Connacht final prices to see a qualifier game!

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 11, 2016, 12:07:32 AM
Quote from: highorlow on July 10, 2016, 11:41:55 PM

Plus we get the pleasure of paying Connacht final prices to see a qualifier game!

Can't see them play both games. Surely the Connacht final replay will fill the place alone after today's thrilling draw!

blast05

Please let the game not be in McHale Park.
My long long standing bug bear with the ground is the pitch is too damn small... the 65's are on top of one another's and its also much too tight. It hasn't suited Mayo senior teams since about the late 80's.
Playing the likes of Stephen Coen in midfield in a championship game in McHale Park will never work. On the other hand, he would be much more effective in Croke Park. Same with Evan Regan i feel. The opposite is true for big Barry. We really should take out whatever seats  need to be taken out and make the pitch dimensions identical to Croke Park.

Another rant off my chest ... jeez, i feel great now  ;D

moysider

Quote from: blast05 on July 11, 2016, 12:19:09 AM
Please let the game not be in McHale Park.
My long long standing bug bear with the ground is the pitch is too damn small... the 65's are on top of one another's and its also much too tight. It hasn't suited Mayo senior teams since about the late 80's.
Playing the likes of Stephen Coen in midfield in a championship game in McHale Park will never work. On the other hand, he would be much more effective in Croke Park. Same with Evan Regan i feel. The opposite is true for big Barry. We really should take out whatever seats  need to be taken out and make the pitch dimensions identical to Croke Park.

Another rant off my chest ... jeez, i feel great now  ;D

Hmmm, you could be onto something.
I dunno what Rochford is thinking with the way he is setting us up with the roles McLoughlin and Higgins are playing but I suspect that he is looking down the road to Croke Park and open spaces. We'll have to wait and see if we get there and if it will work there.
I dunno. Keith is most effective attacking space from deep but not so much getting ball with his back to goal and immediately surrounded. Maybe Rochford feels that later he will have more time and space to turn and punch holes in defences on a bigger pitch.
McLoughlin appears to be playing a dual role of sweeper and attacking play maker. He is playing brilliantly but it is too complicated. We need him as a play maker imo. When he goes forward and  we get turned over we are completely exposed. That doesn t happen in likes of  Donegal where lads fill the void when a Paddy McGrath, Lacey or whoever goes up the field.
We're in a kind of limbo now. The runners taking a chance from the back are not doing it like the Horan years and we are very lazy getting cover back as well. Donegal burst themselves to get make runs and cover back. We do not. The support runs yesterday were half-arsed or non-existant for most of the game. In one play Keith put DOC up the wing with a nice pass and then stood up and made no supporting run. Diarmuid got isolated and turned over. Alarmingly after we had a lead near the end we had a one-on- one near our goals as well. At least we had Barry back there after so that is something. If we had that savvy against Kerry 2 years ago in the drawn game the Limerick nightmare would have been avoided.
How Boyle ended up isolated 1 on 1 with Quigley is beyond me! At the time I assumed it was Keane that was whoosed out of the way with an arse and couldn't believe it. The fact that Boyle was isolated without another back in the same timezone is unbelievable. How their wing back got 3 points from play is unforgivable as well. The shots were good but nobody bust a gut to chase him back the field and cover his runs. The days of 'he's not my man' are long gone. You go the immediate threat and thrust that others will be working back as well.
I was surprised Rochford went with the same roles for Kevin and Keith for yesterday and the first half looked like an extension of what we saw v Galway. I expect Rochford will persist with this and maybe he will be proved right in the long run. I can understand where he is comng from. He appears, as a new manager, to have nailed his colours to the mast with this tactic and unlikely to rein back on it now. To change tack now would be seen as weakness maybe. That's what coaches are like. Maybe it will work out yet.

Dinny Breen

Kildare minors play Leinster final Sunday - hardly a double header Saturday? Please no, we get screwed enough on poxy double headers in Leinster.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Mayo have never beaten Kildare in the championship. Mayo look a busted flush, all that energy over the last few years, the desperation of a player coup, players now diving and cheating to win games. I expect our young stallions who thrive away from Croke Park in proper atmospheric provincial venue to put these once proud warriors to peace. You were great Mayo, time to let go.
#newbridgeornowhere

Cunny Funt

Had a feeling Mayo would draw Kildare and get the added bonus of another home tie. What odds on Mayo drawing Westmeath in round 4, quarter final v the Ulster champions (avoiding Dublin and Kerry  until a possible All Ireland final ) and re match v Galway in the AI semi final.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 11, 2016, 08:57:21 AM
Had a feeling Mayo would draw Kildare and get the added bonus of another home tie. What odds on Mayo drawing Westmeath in round 4, quarter final v the Ulster champions (avoiding Dublin and Kerry  until a possible All Ireland final ) and re match v Galway in the AI semi final.

Sickening arrogance
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 11, 2016, 09:00:39 AM

Sickening arrogance

Ah here we won't get a word in edgeways with these fellahs.

Enjoy your 100 page+ thread lads.

Rossies and Seafoid - please stick to the Connacht Final thread.

Jinxy - no, we have no free ham to offer you for your tayto sandwich.

Aidan O'Shea is no Martin Lynch.

Kildare for Sam.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 11, 2016, 09:00:39 AM

Sickening arrogance

He's not even a Mayo man. Cian O'Neill will know enough about our boys anyway.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Paddy Brophy and Seanie Johnstone ran riot last time we played them.