Donegal V Tyrone Ulster Final 17th July

Started by never kickt a ball, July 03, 2016, 11:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longballin

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 15, 2016, 09:14:04 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 15, 2016, 09:04:16 PM
Tyrone getting built up my the (Kerry) media this year. Yet to prove they are where they are supposed to be. How much weight can be put on a Division Two title and beating Derry and Cavan in the Championship so far? Not so long ago the (Kerry) media were building Mayo up. That has been shelved for the moment and Tyrone are their new project to build up for the fall.

On results, form and experience I expect Donegal to win. They are no Gom-daws. And they have blooded a few young warriors to go with their more senior lads.

Tyrone are far better at handling expectation though.

Tyrone haven't beaten a top team in the championship since 2008...

dlgael

Donegal to win for me. Tyrone have a 15 on the field which is a little better than 2015 but not all that different. 11 of the starting 15 are the same. 3 more appeared as subs in last year's encounter. I don't buy the vast improvement being reported. Derry and Cavan are 3rd and 2nd tier ulster teams at present. Taking 2 attempts to beat Cavan was pretty gruesome.
Tyrones lack of consistency from placed balls and small stature up front will play into Donegals hands. Both teams have added pace to their game in the past 12 months. I think Donegal have more leaders across the pitch to shade this game. For me there was never much to separate the teams but of late we have managed the games better. Trend to continue and Harte to finish his Tyrone managerial stint in a QF against Dublin where rumours of Tyrone ability to challenge Dublin will be well and truly dispelled.
Ye wanted an honest opinion. 😆

Rossfan

Mickey Harte talked to Gemma on Seó Spóirt tonight.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: longballin on July 15, 2016, 09:54:39 PM
Tyrone getting built up my the (Kerry) media this year. Yet to prove they are where they are supposed to be. How much weight can be put on a Division Two title and beating Derry and Cavan in the Championship so far? Not so long ago the (Kerry) media were building Mayo up. That has been shelved for the moment and Tyrone are their new project to build up for the fall.

On results, form and experience I expect Donegal to win. They are no Gom-daws. And they have blooded a few young warriors to go with their more senior lads.

Tyrone were in decline from 2009-2014.

Different team now.

Tyrone haven't beaten a top team in the championship since 2008...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: dlgael on July 15, 2016, 10:02:25 PM
Donegal to win for me. Tyrone have a 15 on the field which is a little better than 2015 but not all that different. 11 of the starting 15 are the same. 3 more appeared as subs in last year's encounter. I don't buy the vast improvement being reported. Derry and Cavan are 3rd and 2nd tier ulster teams at present. Taking 2 attempts to beat Cavan was pretty gruesome.
Tyrones lack of consistency from placed balls and small stature up front will play into Donegals hands. Both teams have added pace to their game in the past 12 months. I think Donegal have more leaders across the pitch to shade this game. For me there was never much to separate the teams but of late we have managed the games better. Trend to continue and Harte to finish his Tyrone managerial stint in a QF against Dublin where rumours of Tyrone ability to challenge Dublin will be well and truly dispelled.
Ye wanted an honest opinion. 😆

Thanks for the laugh, 'neutral observer'... don't forget to collect your sorry tail on the way out the Clones gate :)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

SkillfulBill

I think our Donegal neighbours are very very very nervous about the possibility that they may well see the end of the team that has restored the pride in their Jersey and the thought that its the noisey neighbours next door that may put them to the sword is just to much for them to bear. The last week all I have read about in social media from the boys from the hill is that these young bucko's from Tyrone are over rate and havent been playing in Div 1 blah blah blah. I would like to point out to them the fact that Tyrone played Div 2 for 1 season and bounced straight back up again. Donegals season in division 1 ended haven beaten top teams Mayo Cork and Down. 2 of these teams already beaten by teams from lower divisions in the Championship. Tyrone on the other hand have remained unbeaten since the All-Ireland semi final last year in a game many people believe that they could and should have won.

Now I cant say for sure that Tyrone will win on Sunday but I do believe that if both teams bring their A game to this final then there will be only one side that will prevail and tgat is Tyrone. All of the best teams have their time and it usually lasts 5-8 years before they go into decline with their smoke being put out by the up and coming side. It happened with Tyrone a few years back before Donegal came along and now its time for the crown to move again. Tyrone by 4/5+. And for all our nervous Donegal folk out there relax its all part of life you grow old and die.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 15, 2016, 09:53:44 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 15, 2016, 09:37:22 PM

From where do you ascertain this? Based on?

3 from 3 in our last three All Ireland Finals.

That will stand to you then. Speaking of recent records 3 from 3 is also a good record  ye have v Donegal. :p

sensethetone

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 15, 2016, 11:54:15 PM

That will stand to you then. Speaking of recent records 3 from 3 is also a good record  ye have v Donegal. :p

i'd rather have that record rather than losing 3 AI finals, Donegal won't win on Sunday because they beat Tyrone last year.

From the Bunker

Quote from: sensethetone on July 16, 2016, 12:09:49 AM

i'd rather have that record rather than losing 3 AI finals, Donegal won't win on Sunday because they beat Tyrone last year.

They also won't beat Donegal based on winning three All Irelands, the last of which was 8 years ago! Anyway this is not an anti-Tyrone rant more a teasing out of why they are so highly regarded without any Major form?

sensethetone

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 16, 2016, 12:14:31 AM
Quote from: sensethetone on July 16, 2016, 12:09:49 AM

They also won't beat Donegal based on winning three All Irelands, the last of which was 8 years ago! Anyway this is not an anti-Tyrone rant more a teasing out of why they are so highly regarded without any Major form?
If Tyrone are highly regarded its not from Tyrone people talking them up, whether it be through the media or even on here. Saying that we're in a final when we were cubs we were told you're in a final it doesn't matter who the other team is you got to the final too you can't fear them. Surely because we're in final we're allowed to be confident.

greatpoint

Quote from: SkillfulBill on July 15, 2016, 11:30:43 PM
I think our Donegal neighbours are very very very nervous about the possibility that they may well see the end of the team that has restored the pride in their Jersey and the thought that its the noisey neighbours next door that may put them to the sword is just to much for them to bear. The last week all I have read about in social media from the boys from the hill is that these young bucko's from Tyrone are over rate and havent been playing in Div 1 blah blah blah. I would like to point out to them the fact that Tyrone played Div 2 for 1 season and bounced straight back up again. Donegals season in division 1 ended haven beaten top teams Mayo Cork and Down. 2 of these teams already beaten by teams from lower divisions in the Championship. Tyrone on the other hand have remained unbeaten since the All-Ireland semi final last year in a game many people believe that they could and should have won.

Now I cant say for sure that Tyrone will win on Sunday but I do believe that if both teams bring their A game to this final then there will be only one side that will prevail and tgat is Tyrone. All of the best teams have their time and it usually lasts 5-8 years before they go into decline with their smoke being put out by the up and coming side. It happened with Tyrone a few years back before Donegal came along and now its time for the crown to move again. Tyrone by 4/5+. And for all our nervous Donegal folk out there relax its all part of life you grow old and die.

Is it not just the same as the Tyrone supporters predicting a Tyrone win? Don't really see the issue with it.

I also don't see the need to try to attach a "this is the end of Donegal" narrative to this. They they have the same age profile as Tyrone and save for 2 or 3 retirements will have the majority of the same team going forward.

Maybe it's that Donegal are 2 to 1 outsiders and all of the media are going for a Tyrone victory that's got you uneasy?

SkillfulBill

Quote from: greatpoint on July 16, 2016, 01:11:15 AM
Quote from: SkillfulBill on July 15, 2016, 11:30:43 PM

Is it not just the same as the Tyrone supporters predicting a Tyrone win? Don't really see the issue with it.

I also don't see the need to try to attach a "this is the end of Donegal" narrative to this. They they have the same age profile as Tyrone and save for 2 or 3 retirements will have the majority of the same team going forward.

Maybe it's that Donegal are 2 to 1 outsiders and all of the media are going for a Tyrone victory that's got you uneasy?

Don't think the odds are far away to be honest and I do think this is the end of the road for this Donegal side. They have been on the wane for a year or two. If you look at it Donegals record against the top teams has been poor over last years championship and national league they have been beaten seven times played 17. Dublin x 2. Monaghan x 2, Roscommon, Kerry and Mayo. Tyrone have been beaten twice by Donegal and Kerry (all-ireland semi) Played 18. The problem I see for Donegal is that they are close to the end of players who have been constants in the team over the last 7-8 years players like mcfadden lacey mcgees etc. These players are the stevie oneills gormelys and jordans of the Tyrone side of old. Players of that importance to a side are the glue which keeps a team going its not till they go that you suddenly find out that the younger players around them take a few years to figure it out.

rrhf

Donegal can talk big all they want, but in Gaelic Football theres a stage where the old guys get caught out and on first glance that could be tomorrow.  However the carrot is a real opportunity for the winner is to have a chance to get to an all ireland final so the ageing stock will have added motivation.  If they werent good enough to win the last 2 ulsters I wonder what has changed to make them so confident now.  Perhaps they think they see a team they can bully out the gate. Perhaps they can.  Tomorrow we will learn more about Tyrone than Donegal regardless of the result.  The stakes couldnt be higher.  Roll on the sun.  Draw!

T Fearon

Tyrone's wobbly defence will be their letdown,also their forwards will not get space to breathe.Even in the glory days Tyrone couldn't live with Armagh's intensity in Ulster,and remember they are playing a team appearing in their sixth consecutive Ulster Final,and the only players who have experienced Ulster Final day in the Tyrone panel are the ageing Sean Cavanagh and McMahons.

The real Ulster Final was between Monaghan and Donegal this year.

sensethetone

Quote from: T Fearon on July 16, 2016, 06:53:16 AM
Tyrone's wobbly defence will be their letdown,also their forwards will not get space to breathe.Even in the glory days Tyrone couldn't live with Armagh's intensity in Ulster,and remember they are playing a team appearing in their sixth consecutive Ulster Final,and the only players who have experienced Ulster Final day in the Tyrone panel are the ageing Sean Cavanagh and McMahons.

The real Ulster Final was between Monaghan and Donegal this year.

I don't know which particular years you count as glory years but Tyrone beat Armagh in championship matches 97,01,03,05,09,12.
Armagh beat Tyrone in the Championship 00, 02 and 05 both times after replays, this is Tyrone and Donegal time well until tomorrow evening let us have it.