Connacht minor championship

Started by sligoman2, June 22, 2016, 07:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 29, 2016, 10:38:17 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 29, 2016, 09:12:50 PM
I didn't have the clubs for the Galway team yesterday but have them all now for the curious.

Cormac Haslam (Glenamaddy)
Eoghan Deeley (Salthill)
Sean Mulkerrin (Oileain Arainn)
Eoin McFadden (Salthill)
Adam Quirke (Annaghdown)
Earnan McDonagh (Barna)
Fionnan Garvey (Monivea)
Sean Raftery (Glenamaddy)
Ross Murphy (Barna)
Barry Goldrick (Claregalway)
Evan Murphy (Salthill)
Ryan Forde (Annaghdown)
Robert Finnerty (Salthill)
Finian O'Laoi (An Spideal)
Dessie Conneely (Moycullen)
West of the county heavily represented.

Nobody from Tuam, Milltown, Dunmore, Corofin, Caltra.
Them's the swings I suppose. In Mayo only one player from the north. Nobody from the once dominant clubs, Crossmolina, Knockmore  and Ballina. Things can change quickly in football.

Rossfan

Well we were bet out the gate and back in again tonight especially that first half.
We were slow,ponderous, like a crew who only met in the dressing room for the first time.
Galway were fast, decisive and played as a team.
To our credit we never gave up and had a lot of ball in the second half but no quality forwards to make it count.
I have to query how so many basic handling, passing and fumbling errors could be made by lads who've come through u14, u15, u16 and u17 development squads.
What happens or what  exactly is being "developed"?
And hadewe any game plan of any sort tonight?
I know the 4 day turnaround didn't help but Jaysus we were poor.
That Murphy buck was good, kicked some great frees - from the ground!! We were ballooning 90 foot high nonsense from the hands.
Not our finest hour  :(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sans pessimism

Think the Murphy lad is a cousin of Sean Army-Father from Mayo explains the football ;D
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

ballinaman

Quote from: Rossfan on June 30, 2016, 12:06:30 AM
Well we were bet out the gate and back in again tonight especially that first half.
We were slow,ponderous, like a crew who only met in the dressing room for the first time.
Galway were fast, decisive and played as a team.
To our credit we never gave up and had a lot of ball in the second half but no quality forwards to make it count.
I have to query how so many basic handling, passing and fumbling errors could be made by lads who've come through u14, u15, u16 and u17 development squads.
What happens or what  exactly is being "developed"?
And hadewe any game plan of any sort tonight?
I know the 4 day turnaround didn't help but Jaysus we were poor.
That Murphy buck was good, kicked some great frees - from the ground!! We were ballooning 90 foot high nonsense from the hands.
Not our finest hour  :(
Galway are no doubt a fine team but the game vs Sligo would have had a big bearing on the game last night. I wouldn't be hard on Roscommon, massive ask with only 3 full days recovery.

So it's
Cork vs Kerry
Galway vs Mayo
Derry vs Donegal

Laois vs Offaly
Meath vs Kildare

Connacht vs Leinster  and Ulster vs Munster in 1/4 finals. Winners play losers

Maroon Manc

Have all bookies stopped taking bets on minor games?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: sans pessimism on June 30, 2016, 10:13:31 AM
Think the Murphy lad is a cousin of Sean Army-Father from Mayo explains the football ;D

He's minor again next year I believe.

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 30, 2016, 01:21:16 PM

Unless he's 16 this year he isn't. Remember the years are changing.

manfromdelmonte

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Syferus on June 30, 2016, 01:31:38 PM

I think it was agreed to have a minor and U17 championship next year. Galway forward Robert Finnerty is son of Anthony mixed feelings for him for this up coming Connacht minor final.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 30, 2016, 03:55:34 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 30, 2016, 01:31:38 PM

Galway forward Robert Finnerty is son of Anthony mixed feelings for him for this up coming Connacht minor final.

Didn't know that although it makes sense given he plays for Salthill. Fair amount of Mayo parentage amongst the Galway lads then.

giveballaghback

I was at the game on wednesday and did not post here waiting to see what was said if anything about Galways tactics. They had 13 players behind their 45 mtr line a lot of the time. They were easily the better and stronger team but by a mile but they were the most sinacle minor team i have seen since the Tyrone team of 2013.
It really is a pity that these lads are being coached in this way and being an admirer of Galways football etos over the years I am saddened to see this development.
Galway would have won that game by much more if they had gone toe to toe and I feel if they continue with these tactics it could well cost them an all-ireland. They have a few excepional lads on that squad and they should take the shackles off and let them play.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: giveballaghback on July 02, 2016, 09:03:40 PM
I was at the game on wednesday and did not post here waiting to see what was said if anything about Galways tactics. They had 13 players behind their 45 mtr line a lot of the time. They were easily the better and stronger team but by a mile but they were the most sinacle minor team i have seen since the Tyrone team of 2013.
It really is a pity that these lads are being coached in this way and being an admirer of Galways football etos over the years I am saddened to see this development.
Galway would have won that game by much more if they had gone toe to toe and I feel if they continue with these tactics it could well cost them an all-ireland. They have a few excepional lads on that squad and they should take the shackles off and let them play.

I was at the game last year when Tipp minors beat Galway and I'd assume that defeat had a big impact on the way Galway play at this level going forward. Galway had the more natural footballers but for some strange reason they seemed intent on going for goals and it cost them in the 2nd half as Tipp defended with most of their players in their own half and hit Galway on the counter every time.

Syferus

Nonsense sour grapes. They weren't even as cynical as Sligo on Saturday.  A fine Galway side with excellent forwards who would likely have bet us if Prenty hadn't decided to set us up to fail.

Best of luck to them in the final and the AI series.  They could easily win it.

galwayman

Anyone know if D'Arcy, Molloy, Silke will be available for the final now?
John Daly obviously won't be.

The main thing I guess now is we have a guaranteed quarter final regardless.

Cunny Funt

I think you will find that is called a system of play a gameplan that Galway management would have worked on for months. What was the Roscommon plan or system of play?  beaten by half time would suggest they had none.