Quote from: mayoman dan on July 08, 2016, 11:52:49 AM
Quote from: muppet on July 08, 2016, 10:51:42 AM
Quote from: mayoman dan on July 08, 2016, 10:50:31 AM
Quote from: muppet on July 08, 2016, 10:42:05 AM
Quote from: mayoman dan on July 08, 2016, 10:20:58 AM
Quote from: muppet on July 08, 2016, 12:19:31 AM
Quote from: mayoman dan on July 07, 2016, 10:35:59 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 07, 2016, 09:07:37 PM
When will the team be named? Do they know who to pick with all the injuries?

Will be named when the O Se brothers have decided who's playing.

Does this crap ever end in Mayo?

Willie Joe
Liam McHale
Ciarán McDonald

All abused relentlessly by the most ignorant d**kheads amongst our own supporters. Have you considered supporting Roscommon? You would fit in very well there.

Time to take your head from the sand Muppet. Certain players are calling the shots

Bullsh*t.

One loss in Connacht in 6 years and this nonsense starts. Imagine what it will be like if we have a bad couple of years.

We will be back to listening to the d**kheads who chased Ciaran McDonald off the team.

I'm afraid not muppet and it was going on all last year aswell.

Are you one of those who savaged McDonald from the terraces? Were you happy when he quit?

No quite the opposite I was devastated when Mc Donald left. I can see where your coming from here Muppet but the 3 lads you mentioned never went on with the shite that's going on now.

You specifically named the O'Se's as 'picking the team'.

This doesn't even happen in Breaffy.

How can you account for the fact that 2 O'Se's were on the bench the last day?
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

Why the delay in naming a XV anyway? Could always change it, like always...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rosnarun

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 08, 2016, 03:08:53 PM
Why the delay in naming a XV anyway? Could always change it, like always...
playing silly bugger as usual have Fermanagh named theirs yet?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Lar Naparka

Quote from: seafoid on July 08, 2016, 02:13:58 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 08, 2016, 01:30:45 PM
Quote from: moysider on July 08, 2016, 01:18:22 AM
I wish we would just leave what has worked well alone. McLoughlin has been one of the best half forwards that we've ever had. Diarmuid O Connor as well even though he's only been there a year or 2. Same the half back line with Keegan, Boyle and now Durkan.

We've enough issues now with 3 of our most athletic players out - 2 of them (Cafferkey and Gibbons) for the year. Time to consolidate and rescue the year as best we can.

We tried to be too clever v Galway. I always wanted Higgins playing in half back line but v Galway he was playing a lot with his back to opposition goal rather than coming onto ball from deeper positions. A role reversal between Higgins and McLoughlin would have been better imo. Over the nearly years McLoughlin has been in the mix of some of the better things we ve done in attack and chipped in regularly with scores as well. It's all there on video if people want to check it out.

Apart from some glaring tactical errors in recent years the biggest failures we've had have been stupid individual decisions players have made. Unfortunately that lack of craftiness was still there in the recent Galway game. Worryingly, our top players still do the daftest things.
Amen, brother, a bloody men.

Your last paragraph just about sums up my frustration ever since James Horan took over  the show.
I have seem the team gradually mature into the most skillful, athletic squad in the land.
Yet the team has snatched defeat from the jaws of victory time and time again. 

Time after time, Mayo have gone into overdrive and built up substantial leads only to lift the foot off the pedal to let the opposition back in.
Couldn't see Dublin or Kerry doing that...
Neither Horan or anybody who followed him will go down in history as tactical geniuses but the managers are the only ones who screwed things up.
The present side, IMHO, still has what it takes to go the whole way but only if players and management have learned from the mistakes of the past.

Dubs pre 2011 did it loads of times. Cork footballers and Galway hurlers do it.

Mayo have to get out of the loop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rNPmj6Azqo
They sure did but my point is they got out of that habit when 2012 and Jim Gavin came along. They also had the tendency to yield soft frees within scoring range but now they foul away and be damned further outfield.
Those counties in question managed to eradicate avoidable errors so not to give any  advantage to the opposition.
Since day one, Aidan O' Sé, when he wins possession, puts the head down and tries to bull his way through the opposition. Invariably he loses possession because two or three will tackle him, knowing very well that he won't try to offload the ball to anyone else.

Dara Ó Sé wrote a very perceptive piece in his IT column some time after the Dubs got past Mayo in the semi last year.
He said it was time to stop feeling sorry for Mayo every time they lost a major championship game. Dar leis mar  a déarfá, Mayo lost games they should have one if only they didn't keep shooting themselves in the foot time after time,when they had the winning of the game but chose not to take it.
Can't say I disagree with that.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Beffs

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 08, 2016, 03:33:34 PM
They sure did but my point is they got out of that habit when 2012 and Jim Gavin came along. They also had the tendency to yield soft frees within scoring range but now they foul away and be damned further outfield.
Those counties in question managed to eradicate avoidable errors so not to give any  advantage to the opposition.
Since day one, Aidan O' Sé, when he wins possession, puts the head down and tries to bull his way through the opposition. Invariably he loses possession because two or three will tackle him, knowing very well that he won't try to offload the ball to anyone else.

Dara Ó Sé wrote a very perceptive piece in his IT column some time after the Dubs got past Mayo in the semi last year.
He said it was time to stop feeling sorry for Mayo every time they lost a major championship game. Dar leis mar  a déarfá, Mayo lost games they should have one if only they didn't keep shooting themselves in the foot time after time,when they had the winning of the game but chose not to take it.

It's a big flaw in his game, imo. That tendency of his to always charge forward, like a bull in a china shop. Maybe its an inevitable outcome from being so physically strong and imposing. He'll always want to go Route 1.

It is easy enough to say that he should lay it off to a team mate more. But that requires very quick feet, quick hands, lightening fast reflexes, speed of thought & an 'eyes in the back of your head' spatial awareness of where your team mates are. I'll stick with Brogan, as you brought up the Dubs, but all the great forwards have those attributes. Time and time again, Brogan gets his hands on the ball & the cavalry arrive to crowd him out. But in the blink of an eye, the ball somehow winds up in Andrews or Flynns hands. The white or green flags are being raised, while the 3 defenders who were crawling up Brogans back passage, are wondering where the fcuk the ball went. Exhibit A - Philly McMahon's goal last year.

It's easy enough to say O'Shea should be following that game plan more. But he just doesn't have the supporting cast, that the other marquee forwards do, to pull it off. Nor can he just conjure up physical and mental attributes over night, that involve speed, agility, vision and dexterity, when his game has been based on pure power and raw physicality, since he was in short trousers.

FermGael

Fermanagh always name their team on  Friday night under McGrath.

Looking forward to this. I think our full forward line can expose the flaws in the Mayo full back line. Nothing to fear at all. It's a free shot. If we can keep it tight going into the last 15 Mayo will be nervous.  Wet and windy too like Sligo in 03.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

seafoid

FermGael

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Beffs on July 08, 2016, 04:03:35 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 08, 2016, 03:33:34 PM

It's a big flaw in his game, imo. That tendency of his to always charge forward, like a bull in a china shop. Maybe its an inevitable outcome from being so physically strong and imposing. He'll always want to go Route 1.

It is easy enough to say that he should lay it off to a team mate more. But that requires very quick feet, quick hands, lightening fast reflexes, speed of thought & an 'eyes in the back of your head' spatial awareness of where your team mates are. I'll stick with Brogan, as you brought up the Dubs, but all the great forwards have those attributes. Time and time again, Brogan gets his hands on the ball & the cavalry arrive to crowd him out. But in the blink of an eye, the ball somehow winds up in Andrews or Flynns hands. The white or flags are being raised, while the 3 defenders who were crawling up Brogans back passage, are wondering where the fcuk the ball went. Exhibit A - Philly McMahon's goal last year.

It's easy enough to say O'Shea should be following that game plan more. But he just doesn't have the supporting cast, that the other marquee forwards do, to pull it off. Nor can he just conjure up physical and mental attributes over night, that involve speed, agility, vision and dexterity, when his game has been based on pure power and raw physicality, since he was in short trousers.
I follow what you are saying alright but Aidan has shown in the past that he has agility and fast reflexes too. Not a bad sidestep and kick of either foot if required.

Remember his display against Donegal in the '13 QF?
Brogan is exceptionally good as a distributor and score-getter bbut he has the advantage of having plenty of fine footballers around him; players who are waiting for his next move.
Ó'Sé hasn't got that luxury and in any event, no coach, manager or general factotum has tried to bate some sense into him. Big brother and others couldn't land a kick in on top of his if they were to stick at it until the next millennium.
That's something than can be coached- damned if an intercounty with serious aspirations should need coaching in the first place.
Loose defending has cost Mayo dearly; Brogan;s goal in the  '13 final and Donaghy's in Limerick the following year are testament to that. You could say the same about Murphy's and McFadden's goals in the '12 final also.
Now, do you think Jim Gavin would act quickly to sort out any such shortcomings if Dublin were guilty of the likes?
Eamonn Fitz wouldn't allow his team to carry on making self-inflicted mistakes game after game.
Neither would Mickey Harte or any other manager of a top team of any standing.
What amazes me is that Mayo have been so (relatively) successful in recent years, given their obvious shortcomings.

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Beffs

Lar, I stepped well short of implying or saying that he has feet of concrete. You don't get to be an inter county footballer at all, without much, much better than average reflexes and reactions. It's just that playing at midfield at in the full forward line, are two vastly different animals. The further out you are, the more time & space you have, to think about what you want to do with the ball & consider your options. More often than not, its just you, one on one with someone else. The closer you get to goal, space diminishes, as the mass defenses & the All Star full backs close in on you. Everything happens so quickly and you have less reaction & decision time. Everything happens so damm fast. Can he react & make the correct decisions in time, is the question. So far, he hasn't. It been full steam ahead and damm the torpedoes, usually to limited effect.

Can all these new skills be coached, when you haven't played much there before? I don't know. It depends on the player, his manager and supporting cast. His size is against him, as he will always lack the manouverability and nimbleness of a Brogan or a Cooper, or a McManus. Kieran Donaghy often makes it work, as he has basketball skills that translate very well to the full forward line. But even his size counts against him sometimes, when he gets muscled off the ball, or gets done for over carrying, when a Colm Cooper or a Conor McManus would probably win the free.

Age is on O'Shea's side, but the experiment was a failure last year. It's been a failure this year, so far. How long do you persist with it & when will peoples patience give out?

Farrandeelin

Following a Connacht GAA semi-final defeat to Galway last month manager Stephen Rochford makes three changes to his starting team. With David Clarke, Seamus O'Shea & Diarmuid O'Connor coming into the team replacing Robbie Hennelly & injured duo Tom Parsons & Jason Gibbons.

The Mayo team for tomorrows qualifier game against Fermanagh GAA in Elverys Sports MacHale Park at 3.30pm is:

1.   David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites)
2.   Brendan Harrison (Aghamore)
3.   Kevin Keane (Westpory)
4.   Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis)
5.   Lee Keegan (Westport)
6.   Colm Boyle (Davitts)
7.   Patrick Durcan (Castlebar Mitchels)
8.   Seamus O'Shea (Breaffy)
9.   Stephen Coen (Hollymount/Carramore)
10. Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore)
11. Aidan O'Shea (Breaffy)
12. Diarmuid O'Connor (Ballintubber)
13. Evan Regan (Ballina Stephenites)
14. Jason Doherty (Burrishoole)
15. Cillian O'Connor (Ballintubber, captain).

Team Manager: Stephen Rochford.
Selectors: Donie Buckley, Tony McEntee & Sean Carey.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

macdanger2

Cheers Farr

Will be interesting to see how they line up, who if anyone will play sweeper

From the Bunker

I have heard this will be the set-up?

1.   David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites)

2.   Brendan Harrison (Aghamore)
3.   Kevin Keane (Westpory)
7.   Patrick Durcan (Castlebar Mitchels)

5.   Lee Keegan (Westport)
4.   Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis)
6.   Colm Boyle (Davitts)

8.   Seamus O'Shea (Breaffy)
9.   Stephen Coen (Hollymount/Carramore)

14. Jason Doherty (Burrishoole)
10. Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore)
12. Diarmuid O'Connor (Ballintubber)

13. Evan Regan (Ballina Stephenites)
11. Aidan O'Shea (Breaffy)
15. Cillian O'Connor (Ballintubber, captain).

moysider

That would look likely bunker. Looks like Rochford's team as well !!