Connacht senior football final Galway v Roscommon July 10th

Started by giveballaghback, June 18, 2016, 09:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

Galway excellent in the first 25 minutes, blew the Rossies away, dry day allowed the better team with the better players to really show what they could do.
Great to get another match ahead of the Q-final but the opposition didn't really test us either unfortunately. Not often I'd agree with him but Brolly was spot on last week: "Roscommon are useless".

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 17, 2016, 10:37:13 PM
Disgrace that Rossie are penalised for last weeks game being a draw and having only 6 days to recover from todays defeat. Same happened to Monaghan last week.

I do feel sorry for the Roscommon players as this is not a fair situation on them really, I'd be very unhappy if Galway were in the same position. Roscommon looked a beaten docket today, how can you possibly turn that around in 6 days? Are the Dubs still the only losing provincial finalists to overcome the 6 day turnaround?

GalwayBayBoy

Hope Roscommon can win their qualifier next weekend. Horrible to exit the championship losing a provincial final and then having another match 6 days later. Surely the GAA can manage the fixture calendar a bit better. There always seems to be very few games on early in the Summer and then suddenly a glut around around mid to late July.

Not sure what's happened to Roscommon since the league. I suspect they knew they had to go full pelt during the league to make sure they stayed in division 1 while other sides were still clearing the dirty diesel out of their engines or were half interested. Maybe it gave them a slightly false impression of their own quality. Or maybe they just peaked too early in the year to maintain their form through the Summer. Who knows?

I'm not sure yet how good we are but it is an improving side. A Connacht title and hopefully the chance to win a game in Croke Park and reach an All-Ireland semi-final would be serious progress for what is still a young side.

weareros

Congrats Galway. An absolute masterclass in how football should be played today - pace, hunger,tigerish marking, directness, brilliant scores. Very much looked like a team coming of age and have a right good chance of being in an All-Ireland final. Hopefully those Roscommon supporters on this forum that shamefully saw fit to mock Kevin Walsh, a gent of the game, will have the decency to apologise. And hopefully they will develop a bit of humility because it's now going on seventeen years since we last beat Mayo or Galway. Speaking of those who should also apologise, those clubs and media figures (yes you Tony Mac, Shane Curran, Roscommon People) in Roscommon that constantly undermined John Evans and Liam Kearns so that we could have that not fit for purpose half back line that played today. The type of championship football we have been playing from Day 1 in New York is absolute putrid, slow soloing out of defence to give a 4 yard lateral handpass. Selections that defy all rationale, players brought in out of the blue, some of our best nowhere to be seen, others not starting to "keep them on their toes". We have some great players and they deserve better than this management by officials, advisors, media hanger-ons. The only hope is that they were taught such a lesson today - and by God it was some lesson - that they might start to cop themselves on.

mouview

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 17, 2016, 07:12:54 PM

Why must Prenty look like a sleeveen backwoods councillor on the day of a Provincial final? Can he not dress himself properly or comport himself with a bit of elegance? The very essence of a Junior club vice-Chairman,

Cunny Funt

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 18, 2016, 12:18:43 AM
Hope Roscommon can win their qualifier next weekend. Horrible to exit the championship losing a provincial final and then having another match 6 days later. Surely the GAA can manage the fixture calendar a bit better. There always seems to be very few games on early in the Summer and then suddenly a glut around around mid to late July.

Not sure what's happened to Roscommon since the league. I suspect they knew they had to go full pelt during the league to make sure they stayed in division 1 while other sides were still clearing the dirty diesel out of their engines or were half interested. Maybe it gave them a slightly false impression of their own quality. Or maybe they just peaked too early in the year to maintain their form through the Summer. Who knows?

I'm not sure yet how good we are but it is an improving side. A Connacht title and hopefully the chance to win a game in Croke Park and reach an All-Ireland semi-final would be serious progress for what is still a young side.

Should be a two week break for any provincial final loser but an exit next week could be a blessing in disguise for Roscommon as if they win its Kerry awaiting the following week and that could be a repeat of the Kildare v Kerry quarter final from last year.

weareros

Quote from: mouview on July 18, 2016, 12:50:21 AM

Why must Prenty look like a sleeveen backwoods councillor on the day of a Provincial final? Can he not dress himself properly or comport himself with a bit of elegance? The very essence of a Junior club vice-Chairman,

Well he couldn't wear his trademark purple jumper for obvious reasons.

moysider

Roscommon cannot have any excuses about the turn around really. It would be different if they lost a close game or went to extra-time and were out on their legs. They hardly got a sweat up today. I saw people yesterday in Roscommon town after a 10 mile run in wind and sun that put more into it.
The peaking in the league doesn t stand up either. It's risible. Why should Roscommon footballers be more tender than others?
The inter-county season is short. In championship, Roscommon had a nice run of sympathetic games with NY, Leitrim and Sligo to get them sorted for a CF. They butchered it, or maybe just not as good as people think they are.

PW Nally

Quote from: mouview on July 18, 2016, 12:50:21 AM

Galway's first Connacht titles since 2008 and this is your contribution?

cornetto

Thank god no more syphilis or syferus was bullshit for a while,what a day😀

fearbrags

Sufferus  FFS   Quote  ""Better team won. Congrats to Galway. Comer ruined his own day with nonsense behaviour and has shown he's still easy to get at even when things are going well. He will be targeted for special treatment the remainder of Galway's season and beyond now. Likewise it was disappointing to seen Donie Smith's own disciplinary issues reoccurring.""
What are you on ?
Damien Comer was very good today and is a great talent  , I thought he had a great day ;)

As for yourself  It is about time that You admitted that you got it all wrong about today's game etc and Admit Kevin Walsh is quiet a good manager , You have spent how long running him and his  tactics down . He got it right today and his team played very well both in defence and attack ,

And As a Roscommon man' I feel sorry  for our own players and management to day , All they will be said about them etc etc , I am still hopeful that they can get it right , maybe they can get a win next week and if not  I would think they need at least another season before they are judged , This is  Kevin walsh  2nd season and today you can see a lot of progress ;)

J70

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 18, 2016, 12:06:46 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 17, 2016, 10:37:13 PM
Disgrace that Rossie are penalised for last weeks game being a draw and having only 6 days to recover from todays defeat. Same happened to Monaghan last week.

I do feel sorry for the Roscommon players as this is not a fair situation on them really, I'd be very unhappy if Galway were in the same position. Roscommon looked a beaten docket today, how can you possibly turn that around in 6 days? Are the Dubs still the only losing provincial finalists to overcome the 6 day turnaround?

Donegal in 2013 beat Laois after six days.

Think there have been a couple of others listed on other threads.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: moysider on July 18, 2016, 12:59:13 AM

Roscommon cannot have any excuses about the turn around really. It would be different if they lost a close game or went to extra-time and were out on their legs. They hardly got a sweat up today. I saw people yesterday in Roscommon town after a 10 mile run in wind and sun that put more into it.
The peaking in the league doesn t stand up either. It's risible. Why should Roscommon footballers be more tender than others?
The inter-county season is short. In championship, Roscommon had a nice run of sympathetic games with NY, Leitrim and Sligo to get them sorted for a CF. They butchered it, or maybe just not as good as people think they are.

The latter imo Moy.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Mclf

Quote from: cornetto on July 18, 2016, 01:59:01 AM
Thank god no more syphilis or syferus was bullshit for a while,what a day😀

I wouldn't hold my breath, he will soon be back again with his greater than thou arrogance, it says alot about him that he can't answer the questions that are puy to him and instead starts on about a black card for a galway player. For years now everyone knew he talked nothing but crap and hasn't a clue about football, yesterday finally confirmed that.

seafoid

Declan Kyne, the Galway fullback, is getting rave reviews from a few journos.
The Ulster final is being pilloried as well.  Fancy Dan football is very easy on the eye.

Also I don't think the Rossies are shite.  Galway are quite good.