gaa logos

Started by meg, May 02, 2007, 12:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meg

hello

could anyone tell me what is the meaning of the two objects on the upper and lower arms of the cross on the traditional GAA logo?? I can't find any information on the net or in the books about the history of this and of the corporate logo too.  I would be really grateful for any piece of information, maybe you know any webpages containing these info. I would like to write about it in my M.A thesis so I need rather reliable sources. So I'm waiting for your help :) I bet you know it ;)

Kerry Mike

I would say the items on the celtic cross are just celtic designs but maybe there is a deeper meaning.

The new logo represents a footballer and a hurler but again there may be something in the triangular shape.

I am sure if you contacted Croke Park and got their marketing dept they might be able to help out.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Bensars

Armagh had a trianglar symbol of some sort on their jerseys a few years ago.

Maybe  some of the armagh posters could shed a bit of light on it

meg

Thanks for your interst. Especially with the corporate logo, I didn't see a hurler and a footballer earlier ;) Maybe you know at least when the logos were created, was it in 1884 when the GAA was founded, or was it later? The corporate logo was created later for sure, but when exactly?

Well, maybe you're right, I'll try to contact Croke Park later.

An Cloch Scoilte

The corporate logo was first created in 1993 I think, and first appeared on the jerseys of Offaly and Limerick in the 94 All-Ireland Hurling final.
They later appeared on the Down Dublin jerseys in the football final.
They were in full use the year after and have been ever since on all playing gear of the GAA.

rosnarun

wait untill i get my celtic crosses down from the attic and ill have a look. mind you Ill have to wait for my grandson to come visit
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere